What will we do in eternity?

Just a the title says, I am wondering what eternal life with God will be like. I know Revelation says the old order will pass away but what does that mean for how we will live our lives? Will we explore the new creation? Study it? Will time even exist? Every time I think of Heaven I see visions of angels on clouds playing musical instruments. What will we do with our eternity?

We don’t know, and we cannot even comprehend.

Eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him. [1Cor 2:9]

Angels on clouds has entered into your imagination (and that of many others). So that ain’t it.

Anything you can think of - that ain’t it.

Every now and then, I wonder the same. When I see the exquisiteness of the clouds in the sky, a tree perfect even in it’s imperfections or the rolling green hills, I wonder whether Heaven will be like this and if so, how marvelous to have that and all our family living in God without pain, suffering and sin.

But then, I recall that it is a new Heaven and a new Earth that will be and that God’s ways and thoughts are way above ours. At that point, I stop speculating as I realise it is beyond my comprehension but that whatever it will be like, it doesn’t matter because we will be in the presence of God and He will provide in a way that will be awesomely amazing and beautiful.

On the one hand, I long to be there, but I also want to get the max out of the journey here on earth walking with God. I seem to recall reading somewhere that we are supposed to try to bring a little bit of Heaven into the world through using and sharing our gifts, blessings and prayers. But I may be way off beam in how I have expressed myself.

:hmmm:

Since it’s eternity, there should be timelessness. Our bodies should be free from decay, disease, and death. I have heard some priests say that we will be co-creators with God, but I am not sure of what. I just hope I can be reunited with my loved ones who have passed on.

That is interesting. Has anyone else here heard of this before? What would it mean to be a “co-creator with God?”

It just goes to show that priests can be heretics. Martin Luther was a priest.

And that’s heresy. We don’t get miraculous powers in heaven.

I have no idea where I heard this, but I remember hearing once, in heaven, we will all have access to what could be called the ultimate hall of records or a huge library, where anything and everything we have ever wondered about, we can learn about, basically ALL knowledge would be stored here…that would be nice!

I’m so glad you asked. Heaven is a very exciting place. You can do everything you like to do in heaven,but you do it to worship God and to bring joy to others and not for money. The only thing that you won’t do in heaven that you get to do here is to be a witness for Jesus. Whatever your talent is,you will get to use it for eternity. John Wayne still makes western movies in heaven. Christopher Reeve teaches people how to fly. Some create gourmet food. St. Peter likes to go fishing on the Crystal Sea. I want to go fishing with him. Jesus likes to work in His carpenter shop. That was His natural talent. In heaven there is a place where you can go to learn all about creation and exactly how God did it. In heaven they have all 4 seasons at one time, So you can enjoy winter sports anytime you want, only you don’t need warm clothing. And there are golf courses in heaven. There are dinosaurs in heaven and the children ride them. Heaven holds endless delights. Think on that.

With all due respect, and I’ve read your posts and do respect you, how do you know that? None of us really knows what we’ll do in heaven.

I don’t think it takes any miraculous power to be a co-creator. We are co-creators of God’s kingdom on earth now. Not in the sense that we create something from nothing, but in the sense that we configure ourselves to Christ.

BTW, I do agree that Martin Luther was a heretic.

I never heard that, but since I like to read and learn, that would be nice! :slight_smile:

We know what we will NOT do in heaven. We will not be some sort of demi-Gods. We will remain creations, not creators. Our ontological nature will not change (because that’s impossible, even for God).

I don’t think it takes any miraculous power to be a co-creator. We are co-creators of God’s kingdom on earth now. Not in the sense that we create something from nothing, but in the sense that we configure ourselves to Christ.

In the sense that I can “create” a Cub Scout Pack, or an Electric Utility Board, or a national Parliament of governance (Congress), you are (obviously) correct. But we don’t normally associate these “acts of creation” with some divine miracle, even if they tend to support Christian ideals. Few people would call Sir Robert Baden-Powell a “co-creator” with God because he founded the Boy Scouts.

I sort of would. :smiley: So maybe it’s just a matter of semantics.

I don’t know what we’ll do in heaven, but no, I do not think we’ll be divine in any way whatsoever. In that we are in full agreement.

We become partakers in the Divine Nature.

[quote=“Catechism of the Catholic Church”]460 The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature”:“For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God.” “For the Son of God became man so that we might become God.” “The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods.”
[/quote]

Yes, we will have eternity to discover the infinity of Gods Creation, Love, Joy, Mystery . . . .

Peter Kreeft, a Catholic professor and writer, who, I assume most of you have heard of and possibly read has written an article, “Thirty-Five FAQs About Eternity.” It might answer some questions:

peterkreeft.com/topics-more/35-faqs_eternity.htm

Then we never “become” co-creators, because we are already co-creators. I suppose, by this definition, that even infants are co-creators, because they at least create pooh.

And every animal on earth does likewise. So dogs and cats are co-creators with God.

Who knew?

Yes, we are already co-creators, but I don’t think it’s exactly like you stated it. Bolding mine:

"To human beings God even gives the power of freely sharing in his providence by entrusting them with the responsibility of ‘subduing’ the earth and having dominion over it. God thus enables men to be intelligent and free causes in order to complete the work of creation, to perfect its harmony for their own good and that of their neighbors. Though often unconscious collaborators with God’s will, they can also enter deliberately into the divine plan by their actions, their prayers, and their sufferings. They then fully become ‘God’s fellow workers’ and co-workers for his kingdom." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 307)

Who better to explore the vastness of the new heavens than creatures with eternal life? Sometimes I think God created the galaxies just to give us a taste of what’s to come for those who love Him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.