What Will You Do in Heaven?

I was talking to a nonCatholic last weekend and he brought up the question ," What are you going to do in Heaven". He said he was going to have a black and white Harley Davidson motorcycle and a bag full of money. He told me I could have the best airplane Cessna makes and unlimited gasoline.

The question is do people want to go to heaven to do things (nonCatholics) or do the only want to avoid the pains of hell? (Catholics) What will they do there in heaven when they get there.

{I am Roman Catholic and am traditional}

No one knows how it will be in heaven. Only God knows what He has in store. Even our wildest imagination cannot conjure up what the Lord has planned. That being said, my family has always talked about that great big family get- together, playing many a game of whist (card game)and enjoying my Aunt Mary’s fudge.

Our human minds can only imagine “human” dreams. Fun to think about though.

Love and Peace

Heaven is one of those concepts that I can’t even imagine or fathom what it would be like.

Other than of course being able to spend eternity with Christ, worshiping Him, I just want to see my mother. She died when I was 7 and I barely even remember her.

Do you guys think its wrong to wish for material or earthly things when/if we get to Heaven?

God Bless,
Elizabeth

I want to go to heaven to praise God, no more, no less.

Sometimes when I am praying in Eucharistic adoration I get this complete sense of peace and love, pouring out from Our Lord Jesus. I imagine His grace and mercy showering down on me from the Blessed Sacrament. Sometimes it is so beautiful, that I wish I could stay there forever and be in His Presence.

This is a small piece of heaven for me.

I don’t think there will be need of any material things in heaven because everything pales in comparison to the glory of Jesus.

Just like the song says:

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the Light of His Glory and Grace!

[quote=Exporter] The question is do people want to go to heaven to do things (nonCatholics) or do the only want to avoid the pains of hell? (Catholics) What will they do there in heaven when they get there.
[/quote]

Hmmm. I suppose I am closer to the latter choice. Not that I merely want to escape hell, but when I think of what it means to be happy and at peace, what comes to mind is that this would require the complete absence of sorrow and anxiety. Perfect happiness, therefore, (to me) would mean being completely without the things that diminish happiness.

One other thought you caused (it is in fact your fault I’m rambling you know :slight_smile: ) is this:

My mother sent me an email the other day for the simple purpose of telling me how much she loves me. That got me thinking about how much I love my kids, and imagining my mom feeling that way about me. It’s pretty amazing really. Anyway, then I realized that God loves us even more powerfully and perfectly than I can love my kids, or my mom could love me. wow. I could definitely bask in that sense of love for eternity!

I’m hoping I’ll get to be part of the stories of some of my favorite books. You know, meet the characters, join in their fights and adventures. (I know, I know, I’m a nerd, lol.) I think that would be really cool.
But of course, I’ll be able to be with God and all the saints and my family members and friends forever. That’s a big plus too.

[quote=Coptic]Heaven is one of those concepts that I can’t even imagine or fathom what it would be like.

Other than of course being able to spend eternity with Christ, worshiping Him, I just want to see my mother. She died when I was 7 and I barely even remember her.

Do you guys think its wrong to wish for material or earthly things when/if we get to Heaven?

God Bless,
Elizabeth
[/quote]

I think it’s fine to want to see your mother. Not wrong at all. I understand completely as I want to see my father and my stillborn son and two other children that I lost before their birth. And the great part is that we will!

When I think of Heaven I never think about material things. I always think of relationships. Seeing my parents again. I believe that I have babies in Heaven that I’ve never seen and I want to see them. I have a very good friend who died recently and we agreed before she died to find each other in Heaven and be sisters. I want to meet my guardian angel and thank him for all of his help during my lifetime. My hope is that the first people that I see when I pass over will be Jesus and his blessed mother. I want to thank Jesus for dying for my sins. I do think about it and pray for the souls in Purgatory everyday. It will be awesome in Heaven for sure!

When we are finally in the presence of God, face-to-face, our joy will be so incredible that we will not even concern ourselves with the little material happinesses of this mortal life.

We will recognize each other, of course, because God recognizes each of us as unique and important persons. And if our joy is not incredible enough already, it will be even more incredible knowing we are sharing God’s eternal presence with those we loved in our mortal lives.

Motorcycles, money, airplanes, and card games will be so irrelevant by comparison that we will not even think of them.

If any of those we loved in this life have chosen to not spend eternity with God (having chosen eternal separation, i.e., hell, instead) we will fully comprehend and share the wisdom of God in allowing them to make that choice. Having been completely cleansed of our selfishness in the purifying fire (i.e., purgatory) our joy of spending eternity with God will not be diminished.

I was always told that when we get to heaven that we would know each other as brothers and sisters, not husband wife, mother and father. Is this true?
Dawn

[quote=Marysgirl]When I think of Heaven I never think about material things. I always think of relationships. Seeing my parents again. I believe that I have babies in Heaven that I’ve never seen and I want to see them. I have a very good friend who died recently and we agreed before she died to find each other in Heaven and be sisters. I want to meet my guardian angel and thank him for all of his help during my lifetime. My hope is that the first people that I see when I pass over will be Jesus and his blessed mother. I want to thank Jesus for dying for my sins. I do think about it and pray for the souls in Purgatory everyday. It will be awesome in Heaven for sure!
[/quote]

Beautiful post. It brought tears to my eyes. Thinking about all the loved ones we lose, but God willing shall see again sometime. When it comes to my mother, I feel like I never really knew her, because I was so young and she was sick in the hospital for a few years. So to me, my only chance to ever see her again and know her will be in Heaven.

I just pray that Jesus has mercy on us, and that we do make it to Heaven, for we are never going to be truly worthy.

Kyrie Eleison.

God Bless,
Elizabeth

I agree that the material things we think about will really have no meaning when we see the greatness and love and peace of our Lord, face to face. (ooh. Gives ya chills, doesn’t it?) That’s what I’m mainly looking forward too. Besides that, I want to see the family members I’ve lost and a friend of mine that was killed recently. As well as others. I think it would be great to meet some of the saints…St. Peter, St. Monica (personal fave), our Blessed Mother, even John Paul. What an incredible and happy experience.

But the beatific vision…I can’t get past how awesome that will be.

Now I just gotta get there :smiley:

What will I do in Heaven? I have thought about that many times.

I imagine when I am allowed to enter Heaven I probably will be in total awe. I can see me to be in that state for the longest time, just letting things sink in and looking around like a child trying to absorb what I am looking at.

Then I discover God looking at me, welcoming me, Jesus, the Father, the Holy Spirit. This is just totally unimaginable. Then meeting Mary, getting to see my guardian angel, meeting relatives that have gone before me, other characters, all the different Saints I have read and learned about have admired for what they have accomplished, and not to forget meeting all the Angels. Each moment (if there is such a thing in Heaven) is new, a new discovery, a new experience, infinitely capacity to learn, comprehend, expand on talents given, create.

Since once in Heaven you’re there for all Eternity, I can just imagine the joy of getting acquainted with all the inhabitants of that place. You get the meet the Prophets, Church Fathers, Popes. You can get answers to all the questions that were never answered when you were still on earth.

The surroundings must be totally breathtaking. Isn’t there a description of the New Jerusalem in Revelation, where the streets are paved with gold and jasper and crystal? And when we sing the Holy, Holy, Holy, there is mention of Saints throwing their golden crown on a glassy sea. Music litterally must be out of this world, to smell the most heavenly perfumes, aromas, scents, you name it.

You become like the Angels, able to transport yourself as fast as you can think, wherever you want to go.

You’re in a state of total contentment and bliss. You never have to fear for your safety. Nothing but good follows you wherever you go.

For those who had many sorrows while alive, their tears are wiped away and their pains are gone. I feel nothing but happiness for them, even as I write this.

What does it say in the Bible about eyes have not seen, ears not heard, nor has it so much as entered into the mind of men what God has prepared for those who enter Heaven.

Everything is just going to be totally unimaginable for ever, and ever, and ever…

I can’t wait to thank the Saints & Angels and actually meet them. Wow, shaking hands with the Apostles, talking about the past around a campfire. That’s what I am looking forward to.

I gotta add this in there.
I read a great book which help shead some light on Heaven. It gave a more encourging prospective than the ‘floating on white clouds’ theory some of us know from childhood. Right on Catholic Answers store. A Travel Guide to Heaven by Anthony DeStefano. Great read!

Great topic Exporter

This is a topic that fascinates me (and many others, I’m sure). I think that our earthly existence gives us clues about heaven. The wonder, awe, delight, joy, peace, surprise and love that we feel here on earth in our best moments only hint at the wonder, awe, delight, joy, peace, surprise and love that we will experience in heaven.

What I don’t think is that heaven will be completely unlike earth. I believe that our lives on earth, and the very nature of the creation that we inhabit, reflects heaven itself. How exactly this will be, I don’t know, and I’m sure we’ll be very pleasantly surprised at how our earthly experience “maps” into heaven. An example is how the Old Testament “maps” into the New Testament in a way much more wonderful (God Incarnate, inviting us to join in His very divine nature) than the Jews had ever imagined. Just as the Jews only expected a leader who would bring about an earthly paradise, and they got God Himself, so I believe whatever expectations we have of “earthly paradise” in heaven will be fulfilled, but in an infinitely grander manner than we can imagine.

One thing I believe is that we will somehow join into the lives, not just of God, but also of every single person in heaven. Imagine sharing the individual joys, loves, wonders, delights of every single person in heaven, along with God Himself.

Bottom line, it’s gonna be really, really good! :slight_smile:

I don’t ever really think about me actually going much. My husband says I can be the biggest pessimist at times. I just don’t know if I will ever be there.

[quote=Chris W]Hmmm. I suppose I am closer to the latter choice. Not that I merely want to escape hell, but when I think of what it means to be happy and at peace, what comes to mind is that this would require the complete absence of sorrow and anxiety. Perfect happiness, therefore, (to me) would mean being completely without the things that diminish happiness.

One other thought you caused (it is in fact your fault I’m rambling you know :slight_smile: ) is this:

My mother sent me an email the other day for the simple purpose of telling me how much she loves me. That got me thinking about how much I love my kids, and imagining my mom feeling that way about me. It’s pretty amazing really. Anyway, then I realized that God loves us even more powerfully and perfectly than I can love my kids, or my mom could love me. wow. I could definitely bask in that sense of love for eternity!
[/quote]

Chris, may I say that a post like yours reaches my heart. Love for one another and telling about it is not said enough. Thank You.

I satrted this thread wanting to stir up what your various visions of heaven were - and yes I dont think there will be any Harley-Davidsons there . They will not be needed or wanted.

Addendum : If we will, as some have conjectured, know other ex-people in heaven will the mental faculties be the same as on earth. Meaning, will the retarded ones remain retarded and the smart ones remain smart?

“Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, what God had ready for those who love him.”

What bible verse is this?

Don’t know…but I hope I am reunited with all my family and friends and dogs that I have lost along the way in my life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.