WHAT! Women Priest?

In an article of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram posted July 28, 05.

Women ordained as priests

http://www.dfw.com/images/common/spacer.gif
By Renee K. Gadoua
Religion News Service

**GANANOQUE, Ontario - **Four women were ordained as priests and five as deacons in a ceremony on the St. Lawrence River that the official Roman Catholic Church considers invalid.

Three female bishops, two of whom have been excommunicated, presided at the nearly three-hour service Monday that challenged the church’s long-standing ban on ordaining women.

“I firmly believe that we need to break this unjust law and therefore change the system,” Bishop Patricia Fresen of South Africa said at a news conference.

According to official Catholic teaching, male-only priesthood dates to Jesus’ selection of men as his apostles.

The event was organized by RC Womenpriests, an international group of Catholics who advocate women’s ordination. Participants and many of the witnesses at the ordination said they are willing to risk excommunication because they envision a church in which women can fully participate.

Fresen was ordained as a priest in Spain in 2003 and was recently consecrated as a bishop. Bishops Christine Mayr-Lumetzberger of Austria and Gisela Forster of Germany were ordained as part of the Danube Seven, women ordained in 2002 on the Danube River and later excommunicated.

The ceremony began with the beating of a drum and two American Indian songs led by an Algonquin woman. Waves gently rocked a boat as it traveled through international waters, which organizers say are beyond any diocese’s jurisdiction.

During the ordination, the candidates for the diaconate and the priesthood were called forward one by one.

“Here I am, and I’m ready,” each said.

it seams that you feel vary strong about this but you see in today’s society we are equal men and woman I believe that this is true but we are build different for a reason women are more caring and understanding for reasons ware as men are strong not always thinking things through see you have to see the differences today we do not look at them because I think its that people are drilled to fell independent and that’s ok but its also ok to have some one there to help you along the way witch is the way to go and men cant become nuns and that’s ok but I do not believe that we should have women priest because of thoughts things this is my opinion and opinions are never wrong but they can be swayed some times

This is already covered in at least two other threads.

I don’t agree with the article at all, in fact I was stunned. Surely that would fall under invalid orders wouldn’t it? I certainly hope so.

They could have had the cermony in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, but it still doesn’t make them priests. In fact, they aren’t even Catholic any longer. They have excommunicated themselves by their actions.

[quote=davy39]They have excommunicated themselves by their actions.
[/quote]

This isn’t true. However, they will probably be excommunicated by the Vatican very soon.

[quote=Catholic2003]This isn’t true. However, they will probably be excommunicated by the Vatican very soon.
[/quote]

They have indeed excommunicated themselves latae senteniae, meaning in committing the act, they are excommunicated.

Adam

[quote=NetNuncio]They have indeed excommunicated themselves latae senteniae, meaning in committing the act, they are excommunicated.
[/quote]

No, they haven’t. Ordaining women is not one of the seven acts that result in latae sententiae excommunication under the 1983 Code of Canon Law. This is why the excommunicationsferendae sententiae when this occurred in the past:

1. It is necessary above all to state precisely that the case under consideration does not involve a latae sententiae penalty, which is incurred ipso facto when a delict expressly established by the law is committed. It concerns instead a ferendae sententiae penalty, imposed after the guilty party has been duly warned (cf. cann. 1314; 1347 S1 CIC). As provided by can. 1319 S1 CIC, this Congregation has the power to threaten determinate penalties by precept.

[quote=Catholic2003]No, they haven’t. Ordaining women is not one of the seven acts that result in latae sententiae excommunication under the 1983 Code of Canon Law. This is why the Vatican had to impose ferendae sententiae excommunications when this occurred in the past:
[/quote]

As I review the Code, I see you are correct. Thank you for the correction, Catholic2003.

Peace be with you!

These women need to listen to Christopher West’s explanation of why there can’t be women priests. It’s probably the best I’ve heard and a different way of explaining it than I’d heard before.

In Christ,
Rand

This may help some understand:

The reason for calling God Father is twofold. 1. Beause Jesus reveals God and He called Him Father. That’s the short and sweet version. 2. The more detailed version: God is present to the world in transcendence and immanence. Transcendence is a reference to His superiority over the world, His standing over and above His creation. Immanence refers to God’s closeness to creation, His being a part of it. Now God is both transcendent and immanent with His creation but clearly His transcendence is greater. You wouldn’t want to emphasize His immanence because that would basically lead to paganism. We emphasize God’s transcendence because He is much, much greater than His creation and in fact cannot be compared to it. When we look at masculine and feminine we note that the masculine transcends his creation. The Father gives his seed and then stands back over and above and separate from his creation, i.e., the child. The feminine stands with her creation, she is immanent with the child. The child grows in her. Therefore when you emphasize transcendence you must refer to the masculine. This is why God must be called Father. Note how pagan religions always have priestesses. Its not a coincidence that those who emphasize God’s immanence always end up in paganism with priestesses.

[quote=NetNuncio]As I review the Code, I see you are correct. Thank you for the correction, Catholic2003.
[/quote]

No problem.

With the rate that these news items keep occurring, this is probably something that needs to be added to the Code.

Those women are not priests or bishops. They can masquarade all they want…but it does not change the fact that women CAN NOT be ordained.

I hate when people think they know better than God. If you can’t accept doctrines of the Church (such as male only ordaination) then you should leave.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.