What Word is the Hebrew in this Image?

It is an image of the burning bush so I’m sure it has something to do with Moses or “I AM” or YHWH or similar.

-Tim-

It is “yiroh” in Hebrew, which means awe or reverence.

P.S. I have to get back to you, Tim, on another post…

Thanks Meltz! You made my evening.

This was an outdoor prayer chapel. One side of the chapel had Old Testament images similar to the one pictured - Ark of the Covenant with the word “Covenant” underneath, tablets with the word “Law”, etc. The other side of the chapel had similar new testament imagery.

This particular image caught my attention. I love the Hebrew Scriptures and this image called to me. I took my shoes off and knelt before it and prayed. The meaning of the Hebrew word haunted me all day.

You seriously made my evening.

-Tim-

I hate to disagree with you (Especially since you probably speak the language and I don’t) but that is the Tetragramaton. Read from right to left, the letters are: Yodh He Waw He.

I concur with Seraphignatius, it says I AM WHO AM. (See wiki article on Tetragrammaton)

It’s not the best Vav in the world, but clearly given the context of the burning bush account, you are correct.

This is the word Jehovah in Hebrew read from right to left, actually Yehovah. However, Jews never pronounce it that way and say Adonai, in its place. Adonai is God. There are several other Hebrew renditions of God’s name which are always spoken as Adonai even though they are spelled completely differently . Readers just know what to say.

The vowel points were added by the Masorites to make it easier to read, but that has no bearing on how it was actually pronounced in ancient Hebrew.

No Yahovah/Jehovah in the Bible.

:confused:

The word Jehovah/Yehovah/Yahovah is a mis-reading of Yahweh, mistakenly combing the consonants of Yahweh with the vowel pointing of Adonai. It’s an error. With the name of God, no less.

Being that my native tongue is Ladino/Hebrew, I must concur with the others that the word in question is indeed the Tetragrammaton, YHWH.

Only in liturgical settings is Adonai generally substituted. Many Ashkenazi Jews say “HaShem” (Hebrew for “The Name”) in common conversation when speaking of G-d by name. And while Judeo-Spanish Ladino doesn’t have this convention, the Spanish word for G-d “Dios” is generally said without the “s” at the end (“Dio”) when YHWH is specifically meant.

“Yirah” is spelled יִרְאָה. The word here in the photo is יהוה.

While “Jehovah” does not represent the way “HaShem” was originally pronounced, it does occur in some Bibles, especially in some languages where the pronunciation of YHWH was developed on the basis of that mispronunciation.

:thumbsup: That makes much more sense.

you are correct about this common error.
Thanks.

From the Wiki, a mini anthology of the Name.

You’re absolutely correct! Sorry, Tim. Next time I’ll put on my eyeglasses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.