What would a Muslim think?

What would a Muslim think after reading Psalm 137:8-9?

" Oh Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us—
he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks."

Would the Muslim conclude after ready the Holy books of Jews and Christians, that they are a peaceful religion?

:yawn: Who cares?

Most Muslims in Arab countries are taught from the cradle that America is evil and Jews are worse. Their school textbooks, cartoons on morning television, not to mention the more adult orientated media spew blood libels and anti-semitic propoganda.Their education in history is hopelessly scewed. I saw a poll taken recently that said 90% of Pakistanis believe Israel was responsible for 9/11. How do you argue with that? You can’t.
The leaders of the totalitarian states in the ME use Israel and America as scapegoats for their own failed policies and abuses.
You want to find out what they see every day check out www.memri.org .

[quote=kjvail]:yawn: Who cares?

Most Muslims in Arab countries are taught from the cradle that America is evil and Jews are worse. Their school textbooks, cartoons on morning television, not to mention the more adult orientated media spew blood libels and anti-semitic propoganda.Their education in history is hopelessly scewed. I saw a poll taken recently that said 90% of Pakistanis believe Israel was responsible for 9/11. How do you argue with that? You can’t.
The leaders of the totalitarian states in the ME use Israel and America as scapegoats for their own failed policies and abuses.
You want to find out what they see every day check out www.memri.org .
[/quote]

I agree with the above, but that is not my point.
Many who read the Koran, will draw the conclusion that Islam is not a peaceful religion-- based on the Koran
If a Muslim then reads the Old Testament, especially these verses:
( See 2 Ki 8:12; 15:16, 18; Hos 10:14; 13:16; Am 1:13; Na 3:10)
will the Muslim then conclude that the religion of the Jews, is not a peaceful religion, based on the OT?

[quote=Sirach14]I agree with the above, but that is not my point.
Many who read the Koran, will draw the conclusion that Islam is not a peaceful religion-- based on the Koran
If a Muslim then reads the Old Testament, especially these verses:
( See 2 Ki 8:12; 15:16, 18; Hos 10:14; 13:16; Am 1:13; Na 3:10)
will the Muslim then conclude that the religion of the Jews, is not a peaceful religion, based on the OT?
[/quote]

No they will conclude that from their twisted world view fed to them from their education system and media. Actually the question is hardly relevant anyways - access to Christian or Jewish literature including the Hebrew bible is not permitted in the majority of Muslim countries.
Westerners I think fail to realize that every printed word, radio or television program has to the muster of government censors. Therefore when an editorial appears in an Egyptian newspaper that says Jews are dogs and pigs and there is a worldwide Zionist conspiracy to destroy Islam or there is an 8-part, prime-time miniseries produced based on the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” ,a Czarist forgery referenced often by Adolph Hitler in Mein Kamph, those words were printed and the program produced and shown with the full consent and knowledge of the Egyptian government. They have no free press, it’d downright Orwellian.
What do Muslims think? Whatever their governments tell them to think.

[quote=kjvail]No they will conclude that from their twisted world view fed to them from their education system and media. Actually the question is hardly relevant anyways - access to Christian or Jewish literature including the Hebrew bible is not permitted in the majority of Muslim countries.
Westerners I think fail to realize that every printed word, radio or television program has to the muster of government censors. Therefore when an editorial appears in an Egyptian newspaper that says Jews are dogs and pigs and there is a worldwide Zionist conspiracy to destroy Islam or there is an 8-part, prime-time miniseries produced based on the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” ,a Czarist forgery referenced often by Adolph Hitler in Mein Kamph, those words were printed and the program produced and shown with the full consent and knowledge of the Egyptian government. They have no free press, it’d downright Orwellian.
What do Muslims think? Whatever their governments tell them to think.
[/quote]

What would a Muslim think by scripture alone, not what their government tells them to think; or their background, or newspapers, just by scripture.
In fact it is Christians who brought my attention to these verses.
Some of them couldn’t understand how a God of Love could inspire anyone to write these verses.
What would you tell them?

I would tell them that the Psalmist was being searingly honest with God; that he was trying to make sense of what was happening around him, and that he was at his wits’ end. Lots of the Psalms are hard; many of them talk about feeling abandoned by God, and let’s not even start with poor Job! There is a great deal of difference between being honest about how we feel and enjoining people to attack unbelievers wherever they are found.

I hope that this helps.

Actually the question is hardly relevant anyways - access to Christian or Jewish literature including the Hebrew bible is not permitted in the majority of Muslim countries.

The Scriptures of the Jews and Christians are actually part of the foundation of Islam and the Koran. I’ve never met a Muslim who hadn’t read part of both of them. They don’t believe Christian Scripture to be inerrant, but they absolutely believe that it contains truth that must be read and understood. Afterall, they consider Jesus to be one of the greatest teachers in human history.

I was asking this same question myself. I found a sensible explanation from another member of the forum on another thread:

There is a modern idea that God is always about love, but never about justice, and which therefore avoids the truth that evil is condemned by God. But the Bible does not teach that modern error. Still, some persons, measuring the truths of the Bible with the standard of modern ideas, claim that it is the Bible, not modern society, which is in error.

• Ron Conte

They would probably think only fools would label them the ‘Daughter of Babylon’ and brace themselves for those same fools who might try to fulfill this prophecy .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.