What would a vow of poverty entail?

Specifically, how would heirloom or other sentimental items fit in? I understand that ordinarily jewelry would be something to be given up, but I have one or two items that are particularly special because of their history and connections to people that I would be loathe to part with. Would it be expected that all personal possessions, or all of a certain sort, would be given up?

[quote="DarkLight, post:1, topic:323607"]
Specifically, how would heirloom or other sentimental items fit in? I understand that ordinarily jewelry would be something to be given up, but I have one or two items that are particularly special because of their history and connections to people that I would be loathe to part with. Would it be expected that all personal possessions, or all of a certain sort, would be given up?

[/quote]

The vow of poverty entails owning no personal property. Anything that is given to you as a gift or earned through work is given to the community and is dispensed to each member as a designated member sees fit. One who takes a vow of poverty has no right to claim any material possession as their own.

[quote="DarkLight, post:1, topic:323607"]

[/quote]

A vow of poverty would mean you would have no legal or moral claim over anything - not even family relationships!

In the few years I was a Franciscan I missed my brothers' weddings, my grandfather's funeral, my parents' birthdays, family Christmasses, family vacations etc.

You would have to talk to the vocation director about certain small items (eg., grandfather's hairbrush - since you need a hairbrush anyway; grandmother's crucifix etc)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.