What would be for you another possibility for Jesus to give up His life, had Judas not betraed Him and had Jesus not died on the Cross?

Hello,

To be sure, we cannot ignore the prophecies. Also, I would presume the easiest one would be that the Romans would have crucified Him eventually later on.

But, on a speculative basis, do you see any other scenarios for Jesus to give up His life?

Thank you

It would have to be something very public so that everyone would know he died. If he was just knocked over the head and dumped in a ditch at the side of the road during the his travels nobody would know he died except for the apostles and his resurrection would not be quite as impressive in the eyes of the public.
Maybe a straight up public assassination while he was speaking in front of the multitudes outside of the temple in Jerusalem would work. Or maybe getting “mistakenly” beaten to death by a roman doing crowd control. Had to be something public.

Hi, Marco!
…this is the proverbial “what if…”

There’s no limit to man’s imagination so there’s no limit to the responses you may get… however, there’s a specific reason why the Word, God, Became Incarnate… and only for this purpose does He Become Incarnate:

5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—
I have come to do your will, my God.’”
8 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. 9 Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second. 10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. (Hebrews 10:5:10)

Since it was required that Jesus gave up His Life there’s no scenario that cannot include Jesus’ Death on the Cross–as for prophecy, all had to transpire according to them since they are Yahweh God’s Revelation.

Maran atha!

Angel

I believe He had to die in the manner He did to fulfill Isaiah’s prophecy.

Why are you focusing on “what if?” You should be focusing on “what should I do?”!

Yes, I agree with this.

Speculation and “what if’s” are a waste of time. We know what DID take place.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What is important is He could have chosen an easy, painless way to save us but He wanted
to show His great love for us and that more would come to know Him and repent.

It seems you’re asking the question, “what if God wasn’t omniscient, and wasn’t able to know how His plan would work out; what then?”

As a question, it just doesn’t seem to work out well: it presumes a lack on the part of God…

I don’t.

Maybe you don’t, but your question does. It asks us to consider that God didn’t know His own plan of salvation (and therefore, would have had to have found “another possibility for Jesus … had Judas not betrayed Him”).

You’re asking whether there’s a plausible “Plan B”; and that implies that God would have had to have had a “Plan B”, not being sure how His “Plan A” would turn out. It’s a reasonable question to ask a person, but not of God. :shrug:

Please read the first sentence of m first post:

"To be sure, we cannot ignore the prophecies. "

You should keep this in mind before thinking I am doubting God’s omniscience.

Oh, don’t get me wrong: I don’t think that you’re intentionally doubting God’s omniscence; I’m just claiming that this is the logical implication of the question you’re asking. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.