What would be overeating?

I know that overeating would be Gluttony, but what would be considered overeating? Today I went to dinner and the meals are two small bowls of vegetables, a small dessert, and a meat. I ate that and felt full. About maybe around 30 minutes to an hour later I saw these good tortilla chips from Chiles, I wasn’t really hungry so I grab like 5 chips and just ate those, is that overeating?

If you were eating ONLY for the pleasure of it’s taste, then yes. But if you were just a little hungry, then it wouldn’t be.

Don’t worry, you most likely didn’t commit any sin.

Im not 100% sure if I was hungry or not though, at the time I wasn’t sure if it was overeating because I thought that was eating a lot of food, I’ve just been to Confession do I need to go back?

No, you don’t need to go back to Confession. It definitely isn’t mortal sin because mortal sin requires full knowledge. If it is bothering you, talk to your priest next time, he knows more than me.

I can’t judge the situation fully because I wasn’t there. Praying will be the best way to deal with it. Here is what St. Thomas Aquinas says about the types of gluttony:

In his Summa Theologica (Part 2-2, Question 148, Article 4), St. Thomas Aquinas reiterated the list of five ways to commit gluttony:

Laute - eating food that is too luxurious, exotic, or costly
Nimis - eating food that is excessive in quantity
Studiose - eating food that is too daintily or elaborately prepared
Praepropere - eating too soon, or at an inappropriate time
Ardenter - eating too eagerly.

And a quote from St. Alphonsus Liguori,

“Pope Innocent XI has condemned the proposition which asserts that it is not a sin to eat or to drink from the sole motive of satisfying the palate. However, it is not a fault to feel pleasure in eating: for it is, generally speaking, impossible to eat without experiencing the delight which food naturally produces. But it is a defect to eat, like beasts, through the sole motive of sensual gratification, and without any reasonable object. Hence, the most delicious meats may be eaten without sin, if the motive be good and worthy of a rational creature; and, in taking the coarsest food through attachment to pleasure, there may be a fault.”

:nope: This is unhinging! So I have been committing grave matter every single day of my life, and I never even realized it!!!

:sad_bye: Bye-Bye Heaven!

Trip. You are 13 years old. You need to be discussing the questions with your pastor. You could be developing scruples, if some of your recent posts are any indication.

To say nothing of the fact that the dietary needs of teenage boys are measured on a whole different scale.

I agree, and I also agree with Tarpeian Rock about teenage boys, having had one under my roof at one point! :wink:

It’s okay to be aware and improving our habits especially if we live in a developed country where food is in overabundance and we tend to take it for granted. Or if we have had problems with gluttony for a long time (like yours truly, who has some pounds to lose . . . :o ). But don’t put too many impossible and unnecessary burdens on your mind at your age. I had scruples about an assortment of different things and if you give into them they just multiply like rabbits.

Give your spiritual life time to grow at a reasonable pace as you are growing into an adult; the path to sainthood is a lifelong process. God is merciful. Remember Jesus talking about the Pharisees and how they tied up heavy burdens for others but didn’t help them carry them. We can be our own “Pharisee” to ourselves at times and I don’t think that’s what Our Lord wants us to do. We’ll just get bogged down and confused. There is a time for asceticism and for fasting and sacrifices - but if one tends to scruples, it definitely is better to approach it under a spiritual director’s guidance.

theoda’s information from St. Thomas Aquinas is interesting - I have yet to read his Summa. We must bear in mind that the food supply and economy of the time when he wrote had some bearing on what he wrote. It’s good information for those who can process it without tipping into scruples. I’m ready to renew my commitment to weight loss within a spiritual context, so the timing couldn’t be better for me! :slight_smile: For the OP, if it helps, great; if not, get a grasp on the basics about gluttony before tackling the advanced nuances. :twocents:

I seriously doubt it.

If you eat too fast and you quickly and then feel sick and throw up afterwards than that is eating too ardently.

Eating with full appreciation is not sin. Celebrating with food is not sin. If it were, the Holy days would not be called Feasts.

Good point! :thumbsup:

I’ve learned the hard way this year - have developed a new twist on a digestive condition, and paid the price for gluttony or poor food choices (never again, greasy taco, never again!). It’s been a wake-up call. Sometimes we have individual gluttony “trigger” foods, too, that are just addictive for whatever reason. If we keep finding it too difficult to stop eating those, it’s probably best not to buy them. Some I’ve been able to behavior-modify and achieve portion control (having gotten sick on it is a good teacher). Others I just know aren’t worth the hassle. :nope:

Oops, did not see my typo in my post until now.

Yes, some foods are also an occasion of sin for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.