What would Christ say to Protestant sectarianism?

Perhaps Paul knew, in writing to the Romans:

“I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who create dissentions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by fair and flattering words they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded."

But he does not stop at that:

“for while your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, I would have you wise as to what is good and guiless as to what is evil; then the God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.”

Excellent point—Paul didn’t encourage the communities he wrote to to go their own way, follow their own interpretations, etc. Quite the contrary. He urged them to keep the traditions passed down to them by the apostles.

Of course, it won’t stop somebody from claiming he was the first Baptist or somesuch.

Hi,

Do you guys want me/us to cross the Tiber?

The answer to that excellent question is best found standing before Bernini’s collonade in Saint Peter’s Square.

Not to spoil the suspense in case you have never been, the answer is

Yes.

It is never too late.

(Well, almost never: there is that thing called death.)

God bless.

An apology for garbling the text of Romans with mispellings, I mean misspellings.

I usually cover my bases by garbling my text with mr&mrsspellings.

:smiley:

And if Christ WOULDN"T say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant, well done” it ought to give us pause.

I wish all of our Protestant and other non-Catholic brothers would indeed come home to Rome.

LOL Yes , death is too late. You know the latest statistics–right? Ten out of ten people die:D That is why I always say get yourself right with God before it is too late.:thumbsup:

Thank you and God Bless, BUT, I have to tell you that a thread like this just WILL NOT do it:(

I please ask lovingly:D for you(and all catholics here) to REALLY think long and hard about your motives before you start a thread or post. I think the title is not worded right(honestly, it sounds more devisive:( ). Which is maybe why you havent received many responses.:shrug:

I dont know what your motives are , but we have to be careful(everyone on this forum) how we word things because sometimes the written words comes across offensive even if it is not meant to be. That has happened to me before.

What I ALWAYS do is write my initial thoughts and then preview them from a catholic perspective to make sure I am not sounding offensive. Maybe if you could look at your posts from a protestant perspective and say you know what that is going to sound offensive let me rethink.:shrug:

Please take this as just some friendly, christian like advice from someone who has been here for awhile and has seen how both parties react.:wink:

God Bless

Always good advice.

Now get your swim trunks on. :wink:

:smiley: Well since Im a lady I would put a one piece on.:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I think I see what you mean.

But we are on a Catholic website, a few threads of which have treated the number of Protestant denominations quite frankly, including one of my own, which got lots of replies, and on this website I really don’t expect to convert a soul, though I do commit myself to speaking the truth, wherever and whenever I find it.

In rereading Paul, I found the passage I quoted (parallel in Thessalonians) germane to the discussions of Protestant sectarianism–which obviously is destroying old line denominations and Christianity in general in the U. S., while strengthening the RCC–and so I quoted it.

I am still surprised to find Protestants here (I don’t go on Protestant websites or Jewish or Islamic), but I meant this thread like the others I have created in all humility to be new and true, not offensive.

The number of replies: well, there are so many threads that’s a matter of chance, and I am fortunate not to have to spend all my waking hours in front of this screen.

I would hope that rather than taking offense by my thread you would more be affronted by the scandal of sectarianism, which Paul obviously despises and utterly condemns.

God bless.

LOL—okay, you got me there!

No skinnydipping in the Tiber!

I’ll send on an olive branch and a fig leaf in case any of our Protestant brothers forgets his trunks while packing: you’ll look like Michelangelo’s David.

Not I, brother—I’d look like John Belushi.

I would look like Marlon Brando.

God bless.

God bless you, too, ALLFOR HIM.

I don’t know what to call the divisions within Protestantism: nobody seems to like denomination. But sectarianism sounds right to me because as a Latinist I hear the verb to cut: one group cuts away from another, another from another, till we have so many cuts–divisions–that we have opinion lagging behind reality. On the one hand, we live in la la land to suppose all the churches at peace on the village green, on the other the strife and striving which characterizes a lot of new sects, even including self-described Christians who as adamantly deny the divinity of Christ as they do anchor their morality in Him and quote the NT ad infinitum. If I wanted to put our differences behind us–your words–I don’t think my desire would be long satisfied, since the differences are so wide and so destructive that they have to be be singled out and eliminated: Christ wanted one church, it is very clear, and we do not have that. We have formerly respectable sects pro-abortion and pro gay marriage. Unacceptable. The churches on the village green cannot be distinguished from town hall or the playboy channel.

As Saint Paul implies, doctrine is one, the church is one.

Warmest wishes.

Thanks for your generous reply.
I don’t think that unchurched means unsaved: all the more reason for swimming the Tiber for those fortunate to believe in Christ in the first place.
Hope to say more later.
Have to run.
God bless.
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.