What would happen after a cryopreservation?

Hello, I have a question that I’m wondering since many years, it may even be the first question I ever asked myself about death.

Cryonics is a technique designed to save lives and greatly extend lifespan. It involves cooling legally-dead people to liquid nitrogen temperature where physical decay essentially stops, in the hope that future technologically advanced scientific procedures will someday be able to revive them and restore them to youth and good health. A person held in such a state is said to be a “cryopreserved patient”, because we do not regard the cryopreserved person as being really “dead”.

So, since when you die your soul leave your body to go heaven/hell/purgatory or even be reincarnated. What would happen if you are cryogenically frozen and brought back to life thousand years later? :confused:

Good question for Halloween! If it ever becomes possible to bring these bodies back to life physically, will the bodies be animated by spirit in any way? When and if the technology ever exists, it may turn out that they can’t be brought back because there is no soul to animate them. Sorry, frozen people…

You are either being overly broad in your presumptions about the regards of others, or you need to more narrowly define we.

:twocents:
:snowing:
tee

I don’t think we will have to worry about it in our lifetimes. :):rotfl:

I don’t think that it’s possible to make a dead body come to life again (besides the Resurrection, of course), because the soul is what gives life. Even if the cells would be alive…the entire body will not be. The person would not be conscious. It will just be a body…the person would be elsewhere.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.