What would not qualify me to become a priest anymore?

If I had somewhere previously in life,when my priorities were all mixed up, considered an abortion, would this disqualify me from becoming a priest?

Also, if i had somewhere previously in life considered suicide at one point, would this disqualify me from becoming a priest?

I don’t think any of these things would disqualify you. If they were in the past, and you have long since repented of them, then they should not prevent you from being accepted into a seminary. I did some unpleasant things in my past that did not prevent me from being accepted into seminary, so I don’t see why it should be any different for you.

[quote="pm2222, post:1, topic:253609"]
If I had somewhere previously in life,when my priorities were all mixed up, considered an abortion, would this disqualify me from becoming a priest?

Also, if i had somewhere previously in life considered suicide at one point, would this disqualify me from becoming a priest?

[/quote]

Neither of these things would disqualify you as people change over time and develop and grow in their faith.

The Main things that would prevent a baptised catholic man from becoming a priest would be:

That Priesthood is not his vocation and the Lord is calling him to something else.

That he is currently in a sacramental Marriage

There are of course other issues to be taken into consideration but that would best be done during a conversation with your Parish Priest or a Vocations Director.

If you are truly sorry, have repented and intend on never do these things again they would not disqualify you. There are former atheists that are now priests and what could have been worse than denying the existence of God? Even priests, by the fact they are human, are sinners. If past sins preventing a man from being a priest, we would have no priests.

If your thoughts on these things had developed into the procurement of an abortion or attempted suicide, then they would be impediments. The impediment for abortion can only be removed by the Holy See; I think the one of attempted suicide can be removed by the diocesan bishop. (As he is the one who would be doing the ordaining, in practical terms it may not be that much of a barrier; more a statement of values)

These legal impediments do not extend to contemplation of the actions; only the actions themselves. Nevertheless, these remain serious issues and you ought to be as open as possible with you vocations director about these times in your life.

If you had considered suicide because of a mental illness (such as depression), it could bar you from being accepted into Seminary. You should disclose the circumstances of that suicidal ideation to your Vocations Director, and seek guidance on that matter.

Having considered being a party to an abortion is not a bar at all, so long as you have repented, confessed that sin and received absolution for it.

[quote="pm2222, post:1, topic:253609"]

[/quote]

If you just THOUGHT about these things, they would not necessarily disqualify you, but participation in an abortion, and attempting suicide are impediments to ordination.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.