What would you do if you were this guy

Man annuls marriage to woman with facial hair
By Middle East correspondent Anne Barker

An ambassador from an Arab country has had his marriage contract annulled after discovering his wife-to-be had facial hair.

The ambassador, who is based in the United Arab Emirates but has not been identified, had apparently met his fiancee only a few times and she had always worn a full face veil whenever they met.

The Gulf News paper reports that once the marriage contract was signed the man tried to kiss his bride, but on lifting the veil found she was cross-eyed and had facial hair.

He told an Islamic court he had been tricked into marrying the woman by her mother, who had shown him pictures of the woman’s sister instead.

He demanded the marriage contract be annulled and tried to sue the woman for $150,000 for the clothes and jewellery he had bought her.

The court annulled the marriage contract but rejected his demand for compensation.

[quote="Sagefrakrobatik, post:1, topic:187079"]
By Middle East correspondent Anne Barker

[/quote]

This is not secular news. Where is the full link?

Dubai court annuls marriage to 'bearded lady'

It bears repeating that this is not secular news. This case was not handled in a secular court, and it's circumstances are certainly not secular in any way shape or means.

That's REALLY sad :( I feel so much for the poor girl :(

[quote="ljubim, post:5, topic:187079"]
That's REALLY sad :( I feel so much for the poor girl :(

[/quote]

Why? I am happy she was not to his liking and stuck married to him. She also got the money and it appears she may not have had to even consumate this sham. I happen to think this is a good thing for her. Let's just hope someone does not try to kill her now.

[quote="StrawberryJam, post:6, topic:187079"]
Why? I am happy she was not to his liking and stuck married to him. She also got the money and it appears she may not have had to even consumate this sham. I happen to think this is a good thing for her. Let's just hope someone does not try to kill her now.

[/quote]

:eek: I hope not ;)

[quote="ljubim, post:7, topic:187079"]
:eek: I hope not ;)

[/quote]

Agreed. And, perhaps more believers will be able to watch this unfold if only this was on their radar, and it is not in the Secular News.

Athiests are already watching this one closely. We watch believers and what they do or do not do closely. I would hope that this woman will have more odds per your beliefs if more are praying for her. That won't happen in the Secular News forum though.

I am at a lost as to where, if not secular, this should have been put??? The links are to ABC news and the BBC that is secular.

I think Strawberry Jam is just yanking my chain for the hell of it.

Did she get the money? It seems that her mother had something to do with this. The whole idea of arranged marriage is crazy! I know it’s been around for a long time but really, who could think that someone, even a parent could choose a life partner for another person ? It’s hard enough to choose one for yourself!

I think that’s actually a pretty good reason to get an anullment. He thought he was marrying the wrong person, which I think would even stand up in Canon Law .

I don't know all the circumstances, of course. But if I were that guy (and he seems to be wealthy) I would:

First, profusely apologize to the girl for being the skunk that I am. I would let her keep all the jewelry and further offer (through an intermediary if necessary) to get one of those "permanent de-hair" jobs at my expense.

Second, since any marriage he has will probably arranged with a stranger anyway, I would tell the girl that if, after keeping the jewelry and the de-hairing job, (if she wants it) she still wants to marry me, I would be happy to go through with it.

Third, I would send her mother a live skunk in the mail.

Fourth, I would be sorely put to wonder about a society in which such things happen, and my own role in all of it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.