What would you do in this situation? Need opinions

So, what would you do? Am I being to scrupulous in this situation? I am starting to feel that I am. But I do not want to feel like I am stealing either. I cant just quit this job either. I need this job. What do you think? Should I cut myself some slack or keep doing what I am doing? What would you do?

First, the Catholic Church does not require you to tithe. While admirable, and even appreciated and encouraged, Catholics do not have any requirements to give a set percentage of their income to charity.

Secondly, having read through the responses, I think there is a lot more information that would have to be disclosed to make a fair evaluation of the superintendent. This seems to be an industry norm, at the discretion of the supervisor.

I would be cautious about throwing around words like “fraud”. Part of our jobs as Catholics is to not make false accusations against others, so you have to make sure you have your facts straight.

Certainly, in most circumstances, clocking in that you worked 8 hours when you did not would certainly be considered suspect. But, I think there are variables - Breaks, lunch hours, intensity of the work, the efficiency of the workers, knowledge of the owners, how often this occurs, etc.

If it were me, I would probably start to keep a personal log of recorded work hours. Account for your own time worked, and then compare that against the recorded hours worked. If the variability was minimal, I wouldn’t be too worried. If the discrepancies are egregious, then I would consult my conscience and a priest.

I also think that as a worker, you do what you are told to do. It’s not your job to point fingers and make accusations. You need to have solid, concrete facts and historical record-keeping before you can even go down the path of filing a formal complaint. In the meantime, work your hardest and do your best on the job. Be amicable with your co-workers, and follow directions.

I think the key word you use is that this happens “sometimes”. The historical frequency of this occurring would be a primary determinant of wrongdoing.

**I agree with the previous poster. **
Do you suffer from scruples? Because I think you’re way overthinking this.
If it’s time to go, it’s time to go.
That’s THEIR call.

My opinion…go to work, do what they tell you and when we they say “that’s it for today” go home secure in the knowledge that you did your work for the day.

If there is any moral issue then it is on the people in charge, not you. It is not your job or your place to police everyone else.

Also, any money paid to you is yours and you are not required to donate any of it out of a fear of conscience. Giving freely is great but giving out of a sense of guilt is not.

Yes, I am scrupulous. And if you believe the therapist that I talked to about the struggle inside my mind sometimes, I am OCD :stuck_out_tongue: Yes, he diagnosed me with OCD.

However, I have gotten better with the work of a spiritual director. WAIT… before anyone says “Well, talk to your spiritual director, dont be asking strangers online for moral advice” I am going to talk to him about this. I just wanted opinions.

That last part goes to everyone. I was not talking specifically to you PianistClare :slight_smile:

I know The Church does not require me to Tithe, I like to do it anyways. Actually one of the reason I have been feeling guilty is because I for about the last 2 or 3 weeks I have been donating less money to the Church from my tithe. (That is the best I can word it, I know Tithe means Tenth)

For example. Lets say on friday of last two weeks ago, we finished the job in 4 hours but the foreman put 8 hours on all of our timecards. 4 hours is $120 for me. Well, my normal tithe is about $80 (None of these numbers are exact but I round to a even number for simplicity sake in this explanation) So that is $200 I would feel I have to give. But I decided that I would only give $20 to The Church instead of my normal $80 because I know Tithes are not required. So I would give the Church $160 total. $120 for those 4 hours I did not work and $40 from me.

Or say 3 weeks ago we left everyday a half a hour early except friday when we left a hour early. so that totals 3 hours or $90. So I gave the Church $140. $90 from those hours not really worked and $50 from me instead of my normal $80 to offset it.

I started feeling guilty about this too though. I just wish i could get my full 40. I do not want a penny of money I did not earn. But this is costing me a lot of money and it is hard to save because this has been going on for months now :frowning:

I do not know if I am doing good or acting crazy… :frowning:

I do keep a personal record of every single jobsite I am on, exactly how many hours worked and any unusual situations. I keep track of every single hour I work for the whole year. I am just like that.

If you ever get a salaried job, leaving at 4 or taking a two hour business lunch is going to blow your mind…

I started feeling guilty about this too though. I just wish i could get my full 40. I do not want a penny of money I did not earn. But this is costing me a lot of money and it is hard to save because this has been going on for months now

This is completely unnecessary. There is no justification for these actions. Give what you can, but there is no necessity to do mental gymnastics to pay to charity just because your supervisor allows your crew to leave early once the job is completed for the day.

I know The Church does not require me to Tithe, I like to do it anyways. Actually one of the reason I have been feeling guilty is because I for about the last 2 or 3 weeks I have been donating less money to the Church from my tithe.

Again, the Church makes no such demands. You are creating way to much unnecessary work and pressure on yourself for no good reason.

Focus less on tithing, and more on your prayer life and interpersonal relationships with others.

Yes, I am scrupulous. And if you believe the therapist that I talked to about the struggle inside my mind sometimes, I am OCD Yes, he diagnosed me with OCD.

Case solved. End of thread.

So… are you saying that I am overreacting right now?

For the record, none of this had anything to do with my being called ocd by a therapist. We were talking about my religious scrupulosity at that time. Thank you for your input. It helps.

Many times in a construction job, a union is involved. Some union contracts state that if a person is called to work for an hour, this person must get a minimum of four hours’ pay. There may be similar rules when a person works 7 rather than 8 hours. Different unions have different contracts, and different states in the USA have different laws.

Sometimes a union contract will state that an employee needs to be paid double time for anything over 40 hours. It is possible that if they worked 9 hours on a Thursday, they would stop work an hour early on Friday to avoid paying double time.

I believe that this person is simply taking orders from his boss, as he should be doing. The boss paid him for the work he did, and it is the employee’s money. He should not feel obligated to give the extra money to charity.

At least in some states, construction workers have good unions, and these workers cannot be treated like the people who work at Wal-Mart.

This. OP read this again.

I just don’t think this is anything worth stressing out about and you are not required to tithe the amount that you didn’t actually work. Construction site workers can have odd hours and working arrangements and jobs aren’t always priced out exactly - sometimes it’s time and materials but other times it’s a firm bid no matter how much or how little labor goes into it. So I wouldn’t worry about it so much. If you called a trades worker to do something in your home, you might find that you will be charged a minimum amount regardless of how long it actually takes to do the work, so the amount of time spent is irrelevant. I have worked in construction offices so I’ve seen a variety of ways that things are done. It just doesn’t always work the same way as other lines of work.

First, I would like to say I have never worked in construction and I have only been with one union, but this is what I think I would do if I were in your shoes:

What I would try to do is pray for those I work for, those I work with, and for guidance (as I am sure you are). I would consider asking my union or a mentor figure about how the company admin works - kind of like just wanting to learn more about the company on a different level. However, if this would raise flags or if I felt this would put me in a poor light, then I would not do that! My union does have free council that is confidential; if you are a part of union, perhaps this is also a benefit you have…

As far as tithing goes, I would tithe my normal amount to the Church. Then, I would think/pray about giving an amount I am comfortable with (you mentioned $50) to a legitimate program that helps others find work; maybe a program for developing job skills for ex-convicts, the homeless, etc.

The rest of the money I would put in savings for retirement. Then, after all is said and done, if you find out that your boss(es) were going against policy, the saved money will have accrued interest. Then, while in retirement, I would be able to continue to donate a small portion of my monthly retirement to the church and possibly to another program.

I would try to carefully, and in an open/honest way, learn what the official policy is. This way I would have more factual based information instead of jumping to conclusions (however likely those conclusions are).

Please note that I would only do this if I felt the questions I had were not met with suspicion. In other words, please don’t make your life harder than necessary over this matter & I don’t think getting fired will help anything at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.