What would you do?

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking and occasionally posting here for a little while now. I have read several books and many many post on the forums. I feel I am ready to pursue RCIA class (starting in September I found out locally), however…my husband is not. He is still very open, but also much more “connected” at our local church. My kids are not closed minded about the Catholic Church, but because it’s a new and unfamiliar place for them, not exactly eager to head out to Mass either. My question is this, as a wife and mother, should I just stick it out at our current church until my husband is ready to make the leap with me, or should I start attending the RCIA class alone?
And when my husband is ready to make the move, I do have concerns for my kids. Tough ages to leave behind everything familiar, but I know God is faithful to help us through whatever we must walk through.
Your opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the board, Gr8full! And to the process of discernment regarding your desire to be reconciled to the Church! Thanks be to God!!

When people sign up for RCIA they are not obligated to be baptized or confirmed at the end of it. Mostly, it was initiated to help people understand what the Church teaches and why, so they can make informed decisions about “conversion”. So, tell you husband that nothing will be expected of him and he will learn about the Church “from the horse’s mouth”.

Ask your parish if there is a program for the kids to learn about the Church, the Mass, etc. If they learn about it, they won’t feel isolated from other Catholics at Mass.

And, of course, pray. :wink:

If your husband is not violently opposed to you attending RCIA (which, as was pointed out above, is merely an inquiry process), you should attend on your own. If you are leaving open the possibility that you may convert if you feel led, you should make sure he knows that up front as well.

Make sure you periodically invite them along if they are open to it, and if they refuse to discuss it, don’t push them. This will be hard if you become interested, but they will let you share with them when they are ready. I don’t know the personalities within your family, but generally, the more humble and patient you are with them, the more open they’ll be eventually.

Above all, be open to the Spirit and where he may lead, and pray for your loved ones to join you on your spiritual journey, wherever it may take you.

Good luck, and may God bless you.

Please keep in mind that the RCIA is a discernment process and not a decision unto itself. Attending RCIA is not a decision to join the Catholic Church and faith but rather a decision to explore the church and faith and to discern if it is a course of action you want to take. Many (some) people attend RCIA and do not enter into full comunnion with our church.

You might explain to your husband and children that you are starting the RCIA program to learn more about the Catholic Church and Faith and to help you discern what course of action to take. Invite them to join you on this journey.

While pursuing RCIA, you may want to continue your worship and attendance at your current church (or your children and husband may want to do so).

I will pray for you that the answers and the way become clear to you, your husband and children.

Start RCIA. Your husband will see the fruits of the program and hopefully follow you home to Rome.

The fact that you are considering RCIA is a gift from God in and of itself. Your interest in the Church is God’s first step in leading you closer to a relationship with Him. Don’t say “no” to God – under ANY circumstances. Your relationship with God is the most precious thing you will ever have – as hard as it might be to accept, it’s even more precious than your family. Let the Lord be your guide. I’m a convert myself, and I can’t even describe in words the gratitude I feel to Jesus for bringing me to Himself. Allow Him to do the same for you. May the Lord bring to fulfillment that which He began in you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.