What would you say are the most traditional American seminaries?

I am discerning a vocation, and I want to know what the most traditional American seminaries are. I am specifically asking about seminaries that mostly serve diocesan priests, that is, I don't need Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary of the FSSP as a suggestion. I am quite familiar with and fond of the seminaries of the Extraordinary Form-only groups already. I want to know about the other seminaries, ones that are not generally specific to a single group or order.

I already know a good bit about the Pontifical College Josephinum, and I am quite attracted to that seminary already. Can you suggest others in this vein?

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:1, topic:267539"]
I am discerning a vocation, and I want to know what the most traditional American seminaries are. I am specifically asking about seminaries that mostly serve diocesan priests, that is, I don't need Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary of the FSSP as a suggestion. I am quite familiar with and fond of the seminaries of the Extraordinary Form-only groups already. I want to know about the other seminaries, ones that are not generally specific to a single group or order.

I already know a good bit about the Pontifical College Josephinum, and I am quite attracted to that seminary already. Can you suggest others in this vein?

[/quote]

I knew you were discerning a vocation. I definitely see you as a future priest. :)

kenrick.edu/

nds.edu/

conception.edu/csc

I have heard good things about all of the above. I did my undergrad about 20 minutes away from Conception Abbey and went over there from time to time. In addition, I know that Dr. Brandt Pitre teaches at Notre Dame and he is very very good. Finally, it is my understanding that Kenrick is bursting at the seems and that they are in the process of building more housing.

Peace,

May I ask why? A diocese usually has one (maybe two, most likely no more than three) seminaries that it sends its seminarians to. Are you going to attempt to tell them where you want to go rather than to go where they send you?

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:267539"]
May I ask why? A diocese usually has one (maybe two, most likely no more than three) seminaries that it sends its seminarians to. Are you going to attempt to tell them where you want to go rather than to go where they send you?

[/quote]

Are you going to attempt to tell me what seminary I will, or should, go to? Sorry to be confrontational, but that's how you seem.

I know what sort of life I can best serve the Church in my own personal limitations and gifts, and God willing, I will.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:5, topic:267539"]
Are you going to attempt to tell me what seminary I will, or should, go to? Sorry to be confrontational, but that's how you seem.

I know what sort of life I can best serve the Church in my own personal limitations and gifts, and God willing, I will.

[/quote]

The thing is as I stated it. Most dioceses, everyone that I know of, has seminaries that they are affiliated with and that is where they send their men. The only time a man has a choice is when the diocese uses more than one and then the choice is between those that it uses.

One does not first pick a seminary and then approach the diocese.

[quote="ByzCath, post:6, topic:267539"]
The thing is as I stated it. Most dioceses, everyone that I know of, has seminaries that they are affiliated with and that is where they send their men. The only time a man has a choice is when the diocese uses more than one and then the choice is between those that it uses.

One does not first pick a seminary and then approach the diocese.

[/quote]

I never said I was going to be a diocesan priest in the first place. I was moreso inquiring just in case. :shrug:

Okay, I just was not sure you understood the process as it is generally applied.

Religious institutes usually have an even smaller list of seminaries that they use due to the formation portion of their seminaries usually taking place within their own house of studies rather than at the seminary.

I can see how you might have misinterpreted what I was saying as I was a bit blunt. Guess I could have worded it better.

It also would not hurt to have a seminary in mind when/if you did enter into the discernment/application process with a diocese but I would not make attending that seminary a deal breaker.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:5, topic:267539"]

[/quote]

To be frank, and I say this with friendly criticism as something I believe you should investigate yourself, but I think you might have issue with the call to obedience, whether that be to a bishop, or to any religious superior. Reading your first comment and reply to ByzCath, it sounds like (through the lack of body language on the Internet) you have a "this is what I want, and if you can't promise it I'm going elsewhere" type of attitude.

If you're discerning the religious life, you generally join the one whose charism and/or mission you feel most drawn to... Not what seminary they send their members to. To be honest, they could send you to the worst seminary in the world... It's more about, not only deepening your spirituality (in the case of more closed orders such as Trappists), but your work in the given Apostolate (such as serving the poor, in the case of the Congregation of the Mission), as well as your zeal for souls (one of the responsibilities of being a priest).

YoungTradCath,
If you are in the US, I strongly suggest that you check out this link.

Whether you want to be a diocesean or religous priest, this is the process.

I also urge you to contact the vocations office in your diocese, they have the resources to help you on your discernment journey.

Peace be with you.

We have a newly ordained priest here in our diocese who went to Christ the king Seminary instead of the two (especially one) that the diocese, deals with. I am from Ontario, within the St Catharine of Alexandria diocese and Christ the king is in Buffalo NY, USA...but I do not know if the ordinandi requested permission to go to Christ the king or not. We have in our own area (Toronto), St Augustine's Seminary and in London, St Peter's...I was surprised he did his seminary studies out of the country so he can minster within the Niagara Rrgion....:shrug:

[quote="Lamentation, post:9, topic:267539"]
To be frank, and I say this with friendly criticism as something I believe you should investigate yourself, but I think you might have issue with the call to obedience, whether that be to a bishop, or to any religious superior. Reading your first comment and reply to ByzCath, it sounds like (through the lack of body language on the Internet) you have a "this is what I want, and if you can't promise it I'm going elsewhere" type of attitude.

If you're discerning the religious life, you generally join the one whose charism and/or mission you feel most drawn to... Not what seminary they send their members to. To be honest, they could send you to the worst seminary in the world... It's more about, not only deepening your spirituality (in the case of more closed orders such as Trappists), but your work in the given Apostolate (such as serving the poor, in the case of the Congregation of the Mission), as well as your zeal for souls (one of the responsibilities of being a priest).

[/quote]

Agreed. Well put. I can't remember when dioceses or religious orders started taking requests, or even deferred to be told which seminary the candidate would choose.

Obedience comes first. Always. I went to a seminary that I sorely lamented, but I went where I was told. I even caught myself being envious, maybe to the point of sin, of what I thought some other seminarians might be experiencing. But i learned what was necessary.

Consider this though: an orthodox seminary probably doesn't need you, in all likelihood they're doing just fine without you. But a seminary struggling to teach Truth, to adhere to traditions, respect the American culture and history, and history of the Church, they'll need you the most. If you can't begin your ministry where you are most needed, then why bother at all?

Lord, you might be one of those scandalous priests who wont live in the rectory of a small urban parish in a bad neighborhood because it doesn't suit your standards of living! Get behind me you devil. I know those priests, they are anathema.

I remember that Jesus guy saying his daddy, "no, please don't send me there! Earth is such a terrible place." Oh, wait...

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:12, topic:267539"]
Agreed. Well put. I can't remember when dioceses or religious orders started taking requests, or even deferred to be told which seminary the candidate would choose.

Obedience comes first. Always. I went to a seminary that I sorely lamented, but I went where I was told. I even caught myself being envious, maybe to the point of sin, of what I thought some other seminarians might be experiencing. But i learned what was necessary.

Consider this though: an orthodox seminary probably doesn't need you, in all likelihood they're doing just fine without you. But a seminary struggling to teach Truth, to adhere to traditions, respect the American culture and history, and history of the Church, they'll need you the most. If you can't begin your ministry where you are most needed, then why bother at all?

Lord, you might be one of those scandalous priests who wont live in the rectory of a small urban parish in a bad neighborhood because it doesn't suit your standards of living! Get behind me you devil. I know those priests, they are anathema.

I remember that Jesus guy saying his daddy, "no, please don't send me there! Earth is such a terrible place." Oh, wait...

[/quote]

I don't see how me asking a simple question gets such nasty and snarky answers that have nothing to do with the question in the first place. Ugh.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:13, topic:267539"]
I don't see how me asking a simple question gets such nasty and snarky answers that have nothing to do with the question in the first place. Ugh.

[/quote]

Frankly, its kind of a jerk proposition in the first place. That's why snarky..

It's akin to asking "which seminary is worthy of having me?"

In our seminary we ate shelf stable foods left over from hurricane katrina. It was refused by the other "charitable" organizations for being too old. It tasted like Hell, but we didn't complain. Our dormitory was rank with mold. Our library had barely a hundred books, and about 77 of them were in the bible, Haha. We slept two-to-a-room, with no internet. And you have the hubris to ask which seminary you think you're gonna choose from. And I'm grossly offended that you think you are going to be a priest and "discern" which seminary will have the privilege of having you. You go to your Bishop and you say, "master, I will go wherever you send me."

First comes humility, obedience follows.

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:14, topic:267539"]
Frankly, its kind of a jerk proposition in the first place. That's why snarky..

It's akin to asking "which seminary is worthy of having me?"

In our seminary we ate shelf stable foods left over from hurricane katrina. It was refused by the other "charitable" organizations for being too old. It tasted like Hell, but we didn't complain. Our dormitory was rank with mold. Our library had barely a hundred books, and about 77 of them were in the bible, Haha. We slept two-to-a-room, with no internet. And you have the hubris to ask which seminary you think you're gonna choose from. And I'm grossly offended that you think you are going to be a priest and "discern" which seminary will have the privilege of having you. You go to your Bishop and you say, "master, I will go wherever you send me."

First comes humility, obedience follows.

[/quote]

It's fine if you think it's a jerk proposition, because it really isn't.

I disagree to what you say it's akin to.

I appreciate your humility. However, my original question is a general information question. I don't see why that fills you with such vociferous rage. I never insinuated that I am going to dictate to any bishop or superior what seminary I will go to. Therefore, I am grossly offended that you think I would do that.

I simply wanted to know the answer to a particular question. It so happens that the seminarians of my particular diocese, from what I hear, at least have some latitude as to what seminary they go to. They are usually at least afforded a choice between two. I am not going to go up to His Excellency and say, "I am going to this one or else." That would be a bit ridiculous. So, given that my diocese affords priests usually at least a choice, isn't it kind of reasonable to have some preferences in mind? I don't see what's wrong with that, nor do I understand why that makes you so mad.

I haven't decided if I want to be a diocesan priest or a priest of one of the Societies of Apostolic Life that is dedicated to preserving the liturgies of 1962. In fact, I still haven't decided if I want to be a priest or not.

I'm not some jerk guy. I'm really not, Father (I'm assuming you're a priest now). Promise. Questions aren't evil. :)

If you have a choice, you can choose the lowliest. The place that does not allow cell phones, Facebook, internet, etc.

If your worth the salt, you'll make the extra efforts to learn as much as you can with your hands, and the liturgical instruction you didn't receive in the classroom. Many have gone before you in this manner.

As for me, I have taken time away from seminary and am in the Army. My vocation director has already welcomed me back, but I have 18 months remaining until then.

The best advice I can give you though is to let the seminary own you, make yourself "a slave to Jesus Christ". Only then will you learn the things you did not know you needed to learn -- whatever they are. Everything else is vanity.

Good luck.

To answer the original poster straight up- the Cardinal Newman Society has done our discernment for us! thenewmanguide.com/TableofContents/tabid/506/Default.aspx

These are the colleges and seminaries that the Cardinal Newman Society considers to be Ex Corde Ecclesiae, e.g. most conservatively Catholic. My school, Holy Apostles (MA Theology) is one of them. Deo gratias!

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:1, topic:267539"]

[/quote]

to back up what some said in this thread, while its great to look for traditional seminaries, keep in mind when you apply to be a seminary for a diocese they will most likely tell you where to go or give you a few options.

I am a seminarian for the Dio of BR, and I have 1 choice St Joesph Seminary College for my philosophy

and Notre Dame (in Nola) for my theology.

I know in other diocese you have some choice, but I don't know how that works, could be you say if possible I would like to go there and the diocese decides for you but weighs in your desires heavily

[quote="DasErlibnis, post:16, topic:267539"]
If you have a choice, you can choose the lowliest. The place that does not allow cell phones, Facebook, internet, etc
Good luck.

[/quote]

That is some serious mortification. If it were a choice between being cut off from the web or, say, sleeping with a rock for a pillow as St. Francis did, I don't know. Might take the rock!:eek:

As a computer science major, I think I’d take being cut off from the web. I know plenty of good that can come from a pillow, but not much that comes from the web…

I dunno, at the seminary I think contact with the outside (outside of letters, or phone calls in the case of serious news) would be detrimental hearing God, akin to attempting a lengthy conversation at a hockey game during the goal horn.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.