What would you say to a killer?

Knowing your life on this earth hangs in the balance, what would you say if a killer with a gun asked what religion you belonged to?

If you are a Christian, would you admit it knowing that you might die for your answer, or would you deny it to live on for the sake of your family? This is a tough question for me. I would hope I could do the former. Some of those Christians in Oregon had to decide and some died for their faith rather than deny that Jesus Christ is their Lord. I think they are modern day martyrs.

cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-umpqua-community-college-shooting/index.html

The chances of being cornered by a psychopath are exceedingly slim, overall, but it should never happen. These mass killings are absolutely unacceptable. I don’t think this nut was asking the question because he hated Christians. I think he was trying to be cool by using a lame movie line. He wanted infamy. He was as mentally disturbed as a human can get. His neighbors were creeped out by him.

We should really set up a crisis line for people to call and report their crazy neighbors BEFORE something happens. Like doing a welfare check on a loved one or CPS checking up on kids. If you aren’t anti-social and crazy, then have a nice day. If you have weapons and body armor, well, perhaps an intervention is needed.

Thanks for the reply, CF. While I agree that it is statistically unlikely we’ll run into this situation, it became a real issue for those folks in Oregon.

Per Fox News:
‘The gunman in Thursday’s mass shooting at an Oregon community college specifically targeted Christians, three witnesses said, while online accounts linked to the shooter expressed disdain for organized religion’.

foxnews.com/us/2015/10/02/witnesses-say-oregon-gunman-targeted-christians-in-community-college-shooting/?intcmp=hpbt1

I like your idea about having a crisis line for the purpose you mentioned.

I like to think I would say yes, I’m a Christian

When dealing with a psychopath, how can you trust them to let you live whatever you say?

As much as people are going to hate this, better to die on your knees begging for life than to have your last words be a denial of our LORD!

Those who deny Him before men will be denied by Him, he said.

ICXC NIKA

Ahhhh… But owning lots of weapons is a sign of true Americanism, they say; and no-one would know about the body armor until the massacre had occurred.

ICXC NIKA

What can one say, other than, “I forgive you.”

Good points and very scriptural, GEddie. I hope my faith is strong enough to give an unequivocal “Yes, I am a Christian” to the question, should I ever be in that situation.

Our prayers especially go out to all involved, especially to the victims and their families.

This is a really great question. If I had been in that situation, I am not sure what I would have done. I will now pray that if I had been encountered by this situation, I would stand up for my belief.

I also think that something needs to be done in these schools to prevent this. I heard someone say that all people should be allowed to have a gun at a college. I think this is absurd, because those who are mentally ill and planning to commit suicide afterwards, obviously don’t have an concern with their own life.

Same thing here. But I cannot say for sure unless/until I find myself in that position.

Peter denied Jesus three times. But he repented. All we can hope for is the strength to persevere, and for mercy if we are weak.

I don’t know the whole situational make up, but it sounded like he took several people together into one room.

This might sound crazy, I know people panic, and I can’t say for sure what I would do in this situation, but I just wonder if he had five or ten people together in a room, and he had enough time to ask them all their religious affiliation, why in the world didn’t anyone try to rush him? If five or ten people descended on him together, he may not have killed as many as he did.

Don’t think I’m some crazy action movie fanatic, I’m not. I acknowledge the extreme danger in such an act, but in the face of certain death, and the death of those nearby, one should resolve to do something.

I think this is important to talk about what we would do, not what we would say.

Good point, Stephen. The guys on the train in France come to mind and what they did when they were confronted with a terrorist, although I believe two of them were military-trained, which helps. I think the natural inclination is to freeze in shock because it is so unexpected and traumatic, but that’s just a guess on my part.

I thought about that and I know it is easier to answer a question like that while sitting in my easy chair. Probably if I were the first one he asked I would say I am a Christian. If he killed others before me I would have been silent and I don’t know for sure but think I would have tried to defend myself in some way. At least it would have been on my mind. I know a moving target is harder to hit. I probably would have been dead either way. If I were in the electric chair about to be executed I would say I am a Christian. This guy was a nut controlled by the devil and does not deserve any answer to any of his questions if he is going to kill us for our answer. Although I’m sure I would have been frightened of the craziness of the predicament I was in, I like to feel that I have no fear of dying, especially as I get older and closer to God. The killer is not my judge. My only fear is leaving my family behind without me. I can’t imagine myself denying my faith. No way. Kill me, but I wont deny that I believe in Jesus or that I am a Catholic. I’m just glad that I or any one I knew wasn’t there. I know what you say and what you do are two different things but I just hope I wouldn’t panic. Those poor victims need our prayers.
Chris

My 2 cents:

Once he’s made that decision to terrorize someone, and ask that question, why not answer? Nothing you say is going to make a difference to a lunatic. You might stall him for a minute or two. But that’s about it.
I’d say (even if I was terrified and wetting my drawers) *I am a Roman Catholic, and I ask for mercy. May the God that I love have mercy on you as well. *
But hey, he’d be infuriated, and that would be that.
There’s little chance of a “happy ending” after a scene like this.
I look forward to the day when Christians and all Americans are not put to these tests.
Odd how they always seem to go after the young ones though.
Our youth is crying out for help, and we keep scratching our heads and wondering why.
May those who perished rest in peace.

Thanks to all for the great replies and insights.

This whole situation should remind us to be firm and resolute in our faith and not be lukewarm.

Also, this should serve as a reminder to not take our family and loved ones for granted because we never know which day will our last with them on this earth. I doubt the victims woke up that morning and thought to themselves, “I think I am going to get shot today”,

Please take time today to tell your family and loved ones how much you love them and what they mean to you if you haven’t done so already. I know I need to do that more often myself.

A big Amen on all your points, Clare.

thanks for the reminder Tommy! Great to see you on the boards. Good luck in your inquiry. You’re always in our prayers.
Clare

It’s easy to say what I’d do from the comfort of my own home, but when the gun is pointed at me, who knows? The standard I’m expected to live up to is unambiguous: “Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven. But he that shall deny me before men, I will also deny him before my Father who is in heaven.” May God grant us the grace and strength to profess Our Lord Jesus Christ even in the face of those who seek our lives.

A big :thumbsup: to that, Scott.

Obviously, thinking about this from this comfortable place is a little odd, so whatever I write is all a hope, I guess.

Probably fairly impossible to predict action, but of course I would hope I would answer ‘yes’.

In any scenario I hope I would try and stop the person. An injured or dead me and a captured or dead him is a potential other life alive.

Take care,

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.