What you believe about Catholicism vs what is

Several of you have made comments about Catholicism regarding infallibility, Mary, Prayer, Salvation, etc, that aren’t true. Several Catholic (and other) posters have given the correct information.

Do you beleive the answers?

If you don’t believe the answers, why not?

If you do believe the answers, do you still say that the Church is wrong about whatever it is that you had wrong about Catholicism?

hi,

I hope I haven’t made untrue assertions… lately! :smiley:

I have found a lot of information on this site which either directly contradicted what I had been taught about Catholicism, or clarified a misunderstanding.

I even feel like I’ve [probably???] been called to convert.

But in many cases, the theological differences boil down to looking at the same verse and interpreting it differently. Hey, I think some Protestants are kind of vain about the verses they’ve memorized and enjoy getting loud or pushy about being Right. Not all of us, though. Even when I’m letting catholics speak for themselves, and the answer seems perfectly plausible, I’m just not really qualified to make the call, you know?

If you grow up within a tradition and you stay in that tradition, you can feel like you have all the answers. But even if you’re trying to be fair-minded, thinking things through for yourself is a really intimidating process with scary ramifications.

I have a blustering brother-in-law who tries to start arguments with me when he secretly wants to sound out what I think. He feels that, by acting like an argumentative jerk, he can get my opinion without losing face.

So, perhaps in some instances you can take the resistance you feel you’re getting–

as a compliment?

The problem always is, whose truth? The interpretation of everything here is very very ultra conservative. There are plenty of other Roman Catholics, priests, religious, scholars, theologians, etc who don’t agree with the “truth” as enunciated here.

One example is the idea of conscience. While the CCC and at least two popes are quite clear that in the end, personal conscience must be followed against any rule or dictate by church or person, there are a few here who negate that such a thing exists. Their attitude is that the CCC says not what it says, but rather they argue that if you are not aligned with Rome on any issue, you are by definition not having a conscience that has been properly formed. It’s the type of circular argument that is quite common here in a number of issues.

While you can claim that people have been told the “truth” it is only so because you agree with other’s interpretations of what they are reading. Other’s read the same thing and interpret it quite differently.

We can understand your interpretation, but that doesn’t make it necessarily either that of the RCC’s or correct. Frankly, there is quite a divergence of opinion here among Catholics. Some argue as did Feeny some decades ago that only through Catholicism is one saved. That is not what Rome teaches, but nevertheless, there are some posters here who claim it to be true. Feeny was of course excommunicated, and Vatican II laid the issue to rest quite siccinctly. Still there are those who object and will sight you to 14th century documents to the contrary. But of course the RCC never changes it mind! lol

=kalt;5132174]Several of you have made comments about Catholicism regarding infallibility, Mary, Prayer, Salvation, etc, that aren’t true. Several Catholic (and other) posters have given the correct information.

If there is conflict among Catholics about the teaching, I’ll look into the CCC.

Do you beleive the answers?

Once confirmed, of course.

If you do believe the answers, do you still say that the Church is wrong about whatever it is that you had wrong about Catholicism?

It depends on the question.

This is a curious thread, in that sometimes I feel the same way. On some subjects, no matter the explanation and documentation one gives on a Lutheran teaching, there are some - not many - who refuse to accept the fact that we believe what we believe. They want to tell me what I believe. So, kalt, I know how you feel.

I try never to tell someone what they believe, but instead listen while they tell me. I think it is a good policy.

Jon

There are catholics in name only who do not follow the teachings of the Church, but for the most part, the Catholic Church does have very consistant teachings that are universally taught.

Sometimes, it can seem confusing to outsiders because they take an idea like conscience and confuse it with desire, unintentionally.

All Catholics are obliged to follow a well-formed conscience. But that does not give us liberty to disregard rules or doctrines because in our opinion they do not seem right. That is not following one’s conscience.

For further clarification, it would be risky for many Catholic leaders to say to the masses that they should just follow their consciences unless they first determine if those consciences are well-formed or still in their infancy. I believe that most accept that we are obliged to follow our well-formed consciences.

For us to follow our conscience in matters of faith, especially with regard to the teachings of the Catholic Church, we need to examine our motives. A popular example is contraception. Many Catholics disregard Church teachings and follow their “conscience” - but do they really?

Would not using contraception endanger one’s relationship with Christ? Could not using it cause one to commit a mortal sin? Or cause someone else to?

If the answer to any of these is yes, then how so? If the answer is no, then it is not a matter of conscience but of personal preference.

Really not wanting to do or not do something is not a case for conscience. There must be a valid reason that outweights the fact that disobeying the Church is a sin, and potentially a mortal sin (sin that kills).

We Catholics are obliged to follow our conscience in all things - this pertains to what is right and what is wrong, not what is convenient or easy or what is too hard in today’s times. Disagreeing with the Church because you don’t like something is not a matter of conscience. And it is very important to understand the difference.

Kalt I have no problem with the answers. But some I simply don’t agree with. No matter how much they are clarified many are not supported by scripture.

PEACE

I Pray that when I answer a question or respond to a post that is about what the Church teaches and what Catholic believe That I do so not giving my opinion but What really comes from Scripture and the CCC. I also pray that if I am mistaken one of my fellow Catholic here will correct me. As I’m sure they well:wink:.

Even on issues that i may not like the church’s stance on or understand how it came to make that stance I can not stand in opposition To Her. I must pray for understanding.

That is not to say that if a Priest or Bishop is making erroneous statements I would be silent if a Priest or Bishop is making erroneous statement. in that case I would speak up.

Hey, I think some Protestants are kind of vain about the verses they’ve memorized and enjoy getting loud or pushy about being Right.

I’ve noticed that when these people quote their memorized verses, they almost never can say what the next verse says.

Especially about “call no man father”.

I think when it comes to the really outlandish things people have heard about the Catholic Church, such as idol worship, etc. The answers correcting these things are readily accepted by most non Catholics. (Although there are some died in the wool anti catholics that wouldn’t change their minds on anything)

I think when we get down to the fine details of interpreting scripture is where some non catholics don’t like the answers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.