Whate ever happened to early morning Mass?

One of the biggest things I miss from my youth is the ability to attend mass every morning before I begin my day.

At my Church we have a 7:30 a.m. Mass Monday to Friday and on Sunday we have a 7:30 a.m. and a 9:00 a.m. (Latin) Mass. :highprayer:

:amen:

[quote="eucharisteo, post:1, topic:183016"]
One of the biggest things I miss from my youth is the ability to attend mass every morning before I begin my day.

[/quote]

I agree; and am very lucky to be able to attend 9:00 am Mass since I moved last fall -- the only one available -- because I work from home. People working round-the-clock probably has a lot to do with it -- when I worked in DC, I was up at 5:15 am and straight into work/commute mode until getting home late. I was lucky my office was near two churches that had noon masses which I could catch fairly regularly, but certainly not daily.

The priest shortage in the average parish has a lot to do with it I fear as well. We have three priests serving two parishes here, and one is not well. They are on a retreat this week, so a deacon is doing communion services, for which I am greatful.

In my parish there are 2 masses in the morning, one at 7:00 AM and the other at 7:30 AM

My parish has daily mass at 6:15 am and 8:00 am, what I wish they had was an afternoon daily mass, due the the times I have to be at work I am not able to attend either of the morning masses.

I guess I'm fortunate. There is a parish here in town that has a 7:00 and 8:45 service each morning. The parish I'm a member of has a 5:15 afternoon service on Mondays and Fridays and a 7:00am service on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I prefer being able to attend Mass at the same time every day, so I typically drive further to the other parish for the 7:00 Mass, which gets me back just in time for work.

-CK

Today, I attended a 6:45 Mass at a neighboring parish because I wanted to offer my Mass for a friend undergoing surgery this morning, and such a Mass gives me time to get to work, but better still is the daily except Friday noon Mass at the Cathedral here in Little Rock because my office building backs up on the Cathedral.

[/quote]

Quite a few churches in my area have two morning masses. The closest, St. Philomena, has them at 6:30 AM and 8 AM. What we don't have anywhere in easy driving range is an afternoon mass, I could really do with one about 5 PM:(

[/quote]

We recently cancelled ours because we only had about five people attending regularly. The 9:00 am Mass has much higher attendance - about 150 people. :shrug:

6:45 a.m. Mass - and it's at a parish on my way to work!!! How wonderful is that?

Actually, in all honesty, it's more like a 6:50 a.m. Mass as the dear and wonderful priest is more of an owl than a lark.

Check out www.masstimes.org you might be surprised that a parish nearby has an early Mass. Of course, living in a city helps, I'll admit.

[/quote]

in our town you can attend at 6 am, 6:30 am, 7 am, 8:15 am when the school has Mass, and 6 pm, or 6:30 pm most weekdays

[quote="tinalewis, post:10, topic:183016"]
6:45 a.m. Mass - and it's at a parish on my way to work!!! How wonderful is that?

Actually, in all honesty, it's more like a 6:50 a.m. Mass as the dear and wonderful priest is more of an owl than a lark.

Check out www.masstimes.org you might be surprised that a parish nearby has an early Mass. Of course, living in a city helps, I'll admit.

[/quote]

thanks, I'll check it out.

very good. I didn't know some of the churches had mass that early. One has it 2 times a week and about 2 blocks away. But the others are a good 20 minute drive in the wrong direction. But it's always good to know.

Early morning Mass is great, but I sometimes get (and need) the opportunity to attend midday (12, 12.30 or 1pm) Masses, or instead to go at 5.30pm, after my working day has finished.

My parish offers Mass at 6:45, 8:00 and noon daily. I was making the 8:00 AM one throught Lent last year but this year my 3 year old has a low tolerance for sitting through it even though it's not long. Next year when he's in PreK I'm hoping to start going back.

To me it seems like everyone has morning Masses and very few parishes have them in the afternoon or evening. I'm fortunate that there is a parish near where I work with a 5:15pm Mass. I leave work and go to Mass and it's a good way to end the day.

I'm also fortunate that there are a number of parishes close by. So my options for daily Mass are 7:00, 7:30, 7:45, 8:00, 8:30, 12:10, and 5:15.

Well, I'm a revert so I've been out of the loop and the last time I was Catholic I knew my area. Now I live in an adjacent state in the "Bible Belt", fundamentalist territory and loved it because that was our faith prior to finding the truth in history. I used that website and found that there is all sorts of opportunities to attend mass in our area. It's just that living in one city and working in another makes things a bit complicated because not all of the parishes are as close as what they were in Louisiana, where I partly grew up. I knew that territory better many years ago. But the last time I visited down there I saw all types of new "What's happening now churches". Scary that the fundamentalists have been so successful at turning Catholics away from the truth. I was one of them that tried and hang my head in shame now but begging for forgiveness from God and my brothers and sister for not realizing what I know now. I believe the usefulness of this thread is for sharing now. So thanks everyone for participating.

PAX

I don't recall 'early, early' Mass when I was a kid. Mass was at 8 a.m. until evening Masses became more popular. Then Mass was at 7 p.m.

In my present parish it's at 6:30 p.m. Those who attend now (~ 5-12) would attend regardless of when it was, since they are, for the most part, retired. It works well for those of us who attend meetings at 7 p.m.

8 am here, too late for me.

But when I commute into the city (Montreal) once a week, I attend 7 am Mass in the crypt of St. Joseph's Oratory as it's only a minor detour off my route.

There's a 6 am (!) Mass available at the local Benedictine Abbey but it's a 35 minute drive. Quite apart from having to get up at 5 am to make it, blowing an hour's worth of gas each and every single day doesn't strike me as being environmentally or financially responsible; on a normal week, I can go three days without touching my car.

So instead, at 7:30 am each day before I start my workday in my home office, I chant Lauds. Actually I do all of the Liturgy of the Hourse every day.

[/quote]

They still exist. If your parish doesn't offer an early morning Mass, check masstimes.org for another nearby that might. My parish has a 6:15 Mass every weekday and others nearby have 7am Masses. If you drive into a city for work, you may find an early morning Mass at a parish there, or a noon Mass which lets you receive Jesus at the halfway point of your workday.

Edited to add: I love the idea of saying Lauds instead if there is not a Mass available to you in the morning. The LOTH is the prayer of the church and as such a wonderful discipline!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.