Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven?

I read an old post where some were saying that when Jesus said to Peter, whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven. They were saying that Jesus was only referring to Peter. In Matthew 16:18 Jesus says" thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. He also in the bible breathed the Holy Spirit into them (all of His apostles)to guide them and commanded them to go out and forgive sins and heal the sick and etc., etc. Now wouldn’t you think that it would be obvious that He knew that Peter would not live forever and therefore when He said," whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven that that authority would be passed along to the next elected Pope. And I’d like to add that when Jesus said " Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build My church and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it He was most definitely referring to the Catholic church, not the Baptist or any other congregation. So why is it that other congregations feel that there churches would have the same protection against evil as we would. He stated very clearly MY CHURCH, and at that time there were no other Christian churches.
Thank you and I pray I really get some good answers to help me understand that if you read your bible how can you possibly not know that the Catholic Church is the true Church of God since it is the only Church that can be traced back to Christ and the line of the popes. Also that it is the only Christian church that existed for over a thousand yrs. before and other church existed.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This isn’t the only way scripture has been handled in this way. The Reformation originally wasn’t even evangelical, because Luther, Calvin & co thought that the Great Commission only applied to the original apostles. It wasn’t until the 19th century that evangelicalism inserted its way into the materially protestant descendants of the 1500s turmoil, who were probably starving for truth in some way or another that it managed to re-insert itself. This is why you have 16th/17th century Catholic mission churches in the United States/Americas, but not 16th/17th century protestant ones. Protestants didn’t evangelize at the time.

Because the Orthodox Church believes that the Orthodox bishop of Antioch is the successor of St. Peter since Peter was there first and further, they hold that the Roman Church broke away from the Orthodox Church in 1054 when the Roman Church excommunicated the Orthodox church in error.

Non-Catholics prefer to only deal with the first part of verse 18, where they argue that Peter was not the rock that the church was built on. The rest of what Jesus says to Peter, “the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” These last verses are extremely troublesome to non-Catholics, and they do not usually attempt to explain them away as they do with verse 18, which is easier for them because they can appeal to the Greek and Hebrew languages to try to prove Peter was not the rock, Jesus was. There is NO QUESTION that Jesus is saying all of this to Peter alone, and putting him in a special position of authority in the Church. When you look at the whole of verses 18-19, something special is happening here to Peter, no denying it. And don’t forget, Jesus when calling his first disciples, immediately changed Simon’s name to Peter (Petros/Petra in Greek, Kephas in Aramaic), which means rock, it is obvious Jesus did this for a real reason, it wasn’t that He didn’t like the name Simon. We can see why Jesus did this when we get to Matt. 16:18.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.