What's a good Church History Web-Site

I’ve got numerous links to what I feel are fantastic Catholic Apologetic sites (maybe another thread, eh?). I’m looking for a site that delves into Catholic History. I’m familiar with NewAdvent.Org, but it is a little too dry (maybe my ADHD kicks in!). For example, there was a thread the other day that covered the Wycliffe/Tyndale affair in England, and it was difficult to dig up some pertinent information.

Anybody have any rare gems that they are willing to share?

Notworthy

P.S. How about Books? I’m currently enjoying “One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic” by Kenneth Whitehead which I have found to be very enlightening.

You need to read this book

Triumph

amazon.com/gp/product/0761529241/104-5096519-7452752?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

earlychristianwritings.com/
sacred-texts.com/ (not just for Christianity)
ccel.org/

I’ve also heard good reviews about this book…

amazon.com/gp/product/0895260387/104-0266803-2729526?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization by Thomas Woods ISBN: 0895260387.

The best book I have read is “Church History” by Fr. John Laux. It’s a text used in our local Catholic Seminary. Not a quick read in the slightest (over 600 pgs.), but it sounded like you wanted a good/complete reference for Church history.

“One Holy Catholic and Apostolic” is great…by the way…

Enjoy!!

catholicfirst.catholiccompany.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=811

For info on Wyclife try and some bible history, try:

amazon.com/gp/product/1561484148/104-6509484-9484749?v=glance&n=283155&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

If you want one of the best Church historians, check out Christopher Dawson.

The Formation of Christendom
The Dividing of Christendom (especially good for Reformation era).

Both were published in 1967.

Dawson converted to the Church in 1919, and was chair of Catholic studies at Harvard for a while. Brilliant man.

This is a history of the first parishes in the U.S.A.

home.att.net/~Local_Catholic/CatholicUS-BaltimoreMD-DE-VA-WV.htm

[quote=NotWorthy]I’ve got numerous links to what I feel are fantastic Catholic Apologetic sites (maybe another thread, eh?). I’m looking for a site that delves into Catholic History. I’m familiar with NewAdvent.Org, but it is a little too dry (maybe my ADHD kicks in!). For example, there was a thread the other day that covered the Wycliffe/Tyndale affair in England, and it was difficult to dig up some pertinent information.

Anybody have any rare gems that they are willing to share?

[/quote]

While not exhaustive, here’s a page that deals with the more controversial topics:

turrisfortis.com/history.html

As for Wycliffe/Tyndale, there’s this, which may not be as “dry” as the Old Catholic Encyclopedia:

geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/wherewegotthebible.html

Thanks to all of you that have posted. All I can say to those who posted the Wycliff/Tyndale links is… Where were you guys when we needed you???

Just kidding. Anyway, don’t stop posting those good sites.

Notworthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.