Whats a good prayer?

whats a good prayer to say to forget about my past ? and to start from scratch from right now ? i just want to remember the good things and good times, not the bad things and bad times ive been through because ive put myself through them. i dont want to live like this and that anymore.

thank you.

Lord, if Kevin hasn’t been to Confession lately please inspire his to request a general Confession with a priest to thus receive a new beginning for his life.

Kevin a good prayer is always,
"Jesus I trust in You"
for all things and in all things past, present, future

Translate me into Your own terms
Dear God, I choose to love You truly and to allow You to love and serve others through me. I want to live Your dream of me fully, but I may misinterpret Your will and inspiration as it refracts through my emotions and mental processes. Please nevertheless fulfil all that You desire through my life and prayer.

Flood Your love to others though all my efforts and errors. Grant me faith, fidelity, wisdom and prayer. Recreate me in the fullness of Your will and fill me with Your love, for sake of Your honour and delight, and for salvation of souls.

Let me be the person who You dream me to be, so that Your desire for Yourself and for each soul You place in my care or influence is generously fulfilled.

Translate me into Your own terms as I come contritely and gropingly before You in humble trust, with my imperfect efforts. I know that You have mercy on good intentions even if these are misguided. Yet please let me know Your will—for You have said, “I will instruct you, and teach you the way to go; I will watch over you and be your adviser.” (Psalm 32: v. 8) (1981)

Commitment
God, for sake of souls, I commit myself and my entire life—past, present and future—to Your mercy and love. I welcome Your unlimited power to use me, not merely finitely, but infinitely, in Your service.

Have mercy upon everyone You wish to benefit through me, and do not let my limitations or doubts curtail Your use of me as vehicle of blessing or vessel of honour.

My faults are fragile barriers to the flood of Your grace, as I live Your will and have faith in Your powerful love. I trust in Your love to accept this submission and make it complete. Deepen my trust in Your will to use Your limitless power of love even in me.

Least servant
God, I give You all I have and am, with my desires, attributes, inadequacies and sinful tendencies. To Your acceptance and disposal, I relinquish my spiritual ambitions, my lifelong prayer and service, and any ‘merit’.

Only pride or ignorance elevates any ‘virtues’ above my faults, because human nature is poor relative to Your infinite holiness and creativity. Let Your goodness be touchstone and essence of my response to all created things and persons—so that nothing can withdraw me from freedom of obedience to Your loving will.

To You I yield all my relationships, even those most dear. Let Your Spirit communicate and interact with them so that I no longer act selfishly and detrimentally to my own and others’ welfare, nor love anyone in preference to You.

I surrender to You all my thoughts, words and acts, so that You guide and complete all my responses and initiatives. Let Your Spirit flow creatively through my nature and action, so that nothing in me can confound Your loving purpose, nor will anything be inappropriate or harmful to any person.

God, I know that You pardon my sins. I know that out of my offences and omissions, You create wondrous fruit. You give boundless recompense to anyone who suffers through my fault. You give limitless blessing to anyone who offers me even the smallest kindness, from earliest infancy until God unites me in beatific vision with the communion of saints.

I am Your child who has irretrievably surrendered all being, all gifts, all relationship, all virtuous effort, and all failure to Your merciful love. I claim You to be my whole existence, my breath, my blood, my very substance and all my thoughts and ways.

Your action may be hidden to me in my inglorious daily struggle, my erratic judgement and frequently fruitless endeavour. It may be concealed under my sense of unworthiness and occasional desolation. Yet may You continually blaze Your pure love and truth within me, to Your glory and delight, and to highest service of other souls.

Love through me
God, unless You love through me, I cannot love You above all, or cherish other persons, as Jesus loves me. Know, love and serve through me, for my attempts may be tainted with selfish responses or kindly mistakes.

Others’ logic and reality before You is mystery to me, for I have only my own consciousness. I know something of my sinfulness, yet what appears to be ‘sin’ in others may instead be a differing virtue, or a product of innocence or ignorance that only appears to be sin or error.

I ask You Who-Are-Love to be my love and service of others, welcoming everyone as Your beloved. Please grant me grace to celebrate Your love, beauty and inspiration in others, even if it is obscure. Let Your Spirit fill my heart, mouth and prayer with gifts of Your love and truth for others. Let me be endowment of Your own self, Your sacrament, and our gentle Mother present to them. I ask this despite my evident failures in loving.

I ask that You will free me wholly into Your love, wisdom, and compassion. I wait humbly in my daily efforts, knowing that in Your mercy You will grant my prayer to love Yourself in me with all strength and being, and to love others in me with Jesus’ love.

Our God, You sent Your Son “into the world, not to condemn the world, but so that through Him the world might be saved. No one who believes in Him will be condemned.” [John 3:17-18]

You assure us through Isaiah, our God,
**“I have dispelled your faults like a cloud
your sins like a mist
Come back to me, for I have redeemed you.” **[Isaiah 44:22]
Furthermore, You proclaim:
“Happy those whose crimes are forgiven, whose sins are blotted out; happy the man whom the Lord considers sinless.” [Psalm 31:1-2] For through Your Son, You have “cancelled every record of the debt that we had to pay; He has done away with it by nailing it to the cross.” [Colossians 2:14-15]

Therefore, our God it is not presumptuous to ask that we may be healed of our faults and freed from our sin. Indeed, You have said:
No need to recall the past,
no need to think about what was before.
See I am doing a new deed,
even now, it comes to light; can you not see it?
Yes, I am making a road in the wilderness,
paths in the wild
.” [Isaiah 43:18-19]

Contrition
God, I have sinned against others, against myself, and against You. I am unworthy to be Your child. I have offended Your goodness and Your dream of who I really am. I may have denied You the joy of blessings that You wish for me and for others through me. You alone know the entire consequences of my failure.

Yet Jesus assures us that You joyfully celebrate my return from sin, and run to welcome and reclaim me as Your own. I want to value myself as Your child, knowing that all worth and holiness comes from You.

In trust, I will not accuse myself for sins already forgiven and absolved or for temptation if I have not actually sinned. I believe that temptation can be overcome by Your grace, inspiring greater faithfulness to the Gospel and the Sacraments.

Look on those tasks of love and service that I fail to undertake or to complete, and bring them to completion. Please bring out of my failures, such fruits of these new opportunities enhanced beyond all previous expectation, for from our human betrayal of Your divine plan of Creation, Your mercy wrought the magnificent plan of redemption that reverberates through time and eternity!

In Your mercy, please transform into good all that in weakness or ignorance I may spoil. I want to give blessing that is abundant beyond original possibility, to anyone I ever harm or deprive.

May I so belong to You, may I be so transformed by Your love, that my faults no longer are sin or offence in Your sight and can foster nothing that impedes Your will. This, my soul in trusting confidence implores.

May I never sin again
God with the seals of Baptism and Confirmation on my being, I contritely ask that You free me from sin forever.

Though many things wait for the appointed time before results of prayers are evident, sometimes Your blessings are granted in hidden or unexpected ways. I accept Your will, for You know our needs and Your dream for each person. However, I ask of You the grace to never sin again, as an undeserved, divinely bestowed right. This right is implicit in my creation in Your image and in my Baptism, and obtained by Christ’s incarnation, life, sacrifice and resurrection. Knowing of this unmerited, unmeritable right, imparted through Your Holy Spirit, I ask You for the priceless gift of freedom from offending You.

If I ask You to preserve me from temptation and remove my faults, and I do, then I wait on Your time. Perhaps You will leave my faults for Your greater glory as I battle through grace to overcome them. Perhaps You desire my trust in Your hidden action in my prayer and service of others. Perhaps You desire my perseverance and thanksgiving as You secretly form me with insights, experiences, joys and sufferings. Perhaps You only desire my faith that all goodness is from You. Then let it be so, until You convert me!

Yet, with sin itself, not so! Who of Heaven would wish any person’s sin against You?
Pray for me all Heaven that I never sin even in the slightest way, as regardless of faults I struggle to pray, fulfil my duties and participate in the Sacramental life of the Church.

God, You love the sinner but not sin, so preserve me from sin through all my struggles against temptation and unlove. Grant me faith that in mercy and love for Your Son, You will grant this prayer. God, let me never sin again.

I apologise for including a number of prayers from my effort in seaching to live God’s life without offending Him, but I don’t know what would speak to you, so it’s just a shotgun’s worth.

One I say a LOT is : Help me Lord.
Simple and to the point. He knows why.

Kathy

This one might be good for you.

Prayer to Redeem Lost Time

O my God! Source of all mercy! I acknowledge Your sovereign power. While recalling the wasted years that are past, I believe that You, Lord, can in an instant turn this loss to gain. Miserable as I am, yet I firmly believe that You can do all things. Please restore to me the time lost, giving me Your grace, both now and in the future, that I may appear before You in “wedding garments.” Amen.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.