What's a Super Delegate and Why Did Clinton Win Them

www.nbcnews.com/…/why-sanders-new-hampshire-victor.

I never paid attention to this trickery prior to the exposure of the Iowa Caucus. Wow! Why would anyone want to vote for a Democrat when their vote has already been disregarded?
I would not vote for a Democrat under any of the current set of values they hold - nor would I want anyone else to follow them. What a bunch of crooks - really. I admit I did not know and I have now checked out the Republican Party Delegate role and it is okay - its all done fairly and equally percentaged if necessaryl.

So - not being a supporter of Sanders against his infamous opponent, I do feel awkward for him that he has been hoodwinked! But, he must have known what he was a party to.
:shrug:

The link is not valid.

Why not? Okay, you are right! I tried it - well, I just don’t know what I do wrong sometimes.
It is an NBC News source - I will try again

.What’s a Super Delegate, and Why Did Clinton Win Them?
NBCNews.com-Feb 10, 2016

(I searched Google: Super Delegates Explained ) Can’t copy the header. :confused:

Page no longer exists.

nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/why-sanders-new-hampshire-victory-wasn-t-so-huge-n516066?cid=par-aff-gray-kkco-politics_20160210

What’s a Super Delegate, and Why Did Clinton Win Them?

Supporters of Bernie Sanders have much to be elated about after the Vermont senator thundered to a 22-point victory over Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire Tuesday night.

But they may be bewildered when they look at the scoreboard.

After the New Hampshire contest, NBC News allocated 15 delegates to Sanders. But NBC also allocated 14 delegates to Hillary Clinton, who lost the primary by an almost historic margin.

Why are those two numbers so close even though Sanders walloped her in the state?

Actually, I think the URL in post 1 did not get copied correctly but I think this is the same story with a working link.

And remember Hillary won all the coin tosses in Iowa, what, all six of them? What are the odds?

How do democrats look at all this set up? Anyone here who can share?

I learned about the superdelegates when she lost the vote in Iowa but won superdelegates.
I heard she was not doing good in Nevada, now I read she won the democrat caucaus in Nevada!

It’s going to be difficult for Sanders to win the nomination because it’s a tight race (for now) and because I’m sure the establishment deck is stacked against him. .

Yep, she won 6 coin tosses in IA, in NV they draw cards… and she has good luck with them too.

Between superdelegates and this phenomenal luck at chance, I’d say she’s got the nomination all tied up, no matter how the people vote.

Definitely the power and weight of the Democratic establishment is against Sanders. Although I support him, I realize he will not be the nominee. The Clintons and the Democratic machine will make sure of that.

OTOH, Trump is more difficult for the Republican establishment to diffuse. He fights fire with fire and is a loose cannon, which, in American politics, can be a virtue.

Superdelagates I believe have been around since '85? They make up 15% of the all democrat delegates. The other 85% are decided by the primaries and the caucuses

infoplease.com/us/government/superdelegates.html

The usage of Super Delegates arises from the Democrat’s belief that voters can not be counted on to pick the candidate favored by the 1%. Hillary Clinton shudders when she thinks about her reliance on the people used on Watter’s World. Super Delegates ensure that the average Democrat’s vote means very little.

Super delegates exist because the Democrats don’t want another George McGovern. As was pointed out earlier, they only make up 15%, also they can change at any time. Obama trailed in the super delegate count until late in the contest, when many switched to represent how their states had voted. If Bernie Sanders gets over 50% of the regular delegates, you will see super delegates switch over.

Coin flips – specifically “games of chance” – are used in rare circumstances at precinct caucuses to adjudicate ties or resolve issues created by rounding errors. At stake at these precinct-level coin flips is the one remaining slot in that precinct for a campaign to send a delegate to attend that precinct’s county convention. Coin flips are not used to decide which candidate wins a state convention delegate or national convention delegate.

More than half of the 1,681 Democratic caucuses held Monday night used a new Microsoft reporting app. Of those, there were exactly seven county delegates determined by coin flip. The remaining precincts did not use the Microsoft app, and instead used traditional phone-line reporting to transmit results. In these precincts, there no are records of how many coin flips occurred. There’s only anecdotal information on these precincts.

Of the seven coin flips/games of chance that were held in precincts using the Microsoft app, six of those were flips to determine whether a county delegate slot went to Clinton or Sanders. Of those six Clinton-vs.-Sanders coin flips, Sanders won five and Clinton one. The seventh coin flip was used to determine whether a county delegate slot went to Sanders or Martin O’Malley. Sanders won that coin flip as well. So in the seven coin flips that the Iowa Democratic Party has a record of, Sanders won six of them.

Clinton won the Iowa caucuses by the equivalent of about four state delegates. If the anecdotal evidence of Clinton winning six coin flips is correct, she would have won six county delegates through coin flips (setting aside the fact that party records show Sanders also won six county delegates as a result of coin flips). There is not a one-to-one correlation between county delegates and state delegates, or to national convention delegates.

Norm Sterzenbach, the former executive director of the Iowa Democratic Party who oversaw the party’s 2008 and 2012 Iowa caucuses, told CNN:

“I can say with almost absolutely certainty this election would not have been changed because of the coin flips. It would take a very large number of these to make that kind of impact, and one candidate would have to win them all. Our empirical evidence and anecdotal information shows that one candidate didn’t win them all, and that coin flips are not that frequent.”

cnn.com/2016/02/02/politics/hillary-clinton-coin-flip-iowa-bernie-sanders/

She lost the vote in Iowa?

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/bernie-sanders-iowa-results-gain-error-recount-hillary-clinton

Where did you hear that Hillary was not doing well in NV? I had heard most recently that the race was tight. There were also polls recently showing Donald Trump’s support slipping in SC but he won big.

Super delegates are Democrats who have been elected to Congress, governorships, and I believe to the Presidency and Vice Presidency. They are free to support whomever they want but unlike delegates that come out of the primary/caucus process, the “supers” are not bound on even the 1st ballot at the convention. Clinton had a superdelegate lead over Obama in 08 which had evaporated before the convention. Many of them had not pledged yet but several dozen did switch.

While not officially called “super delegates” in the Republican Party, here is a take on how Donald Trump could lose the nomination.

“GOP rules allow for … ‘superdelegates,’ with more than half of state parties exercising the option to make their chairman, national committeewoman and national committeeman automatic delegates,” Republican strategist and Bush official Karl Rove wrote last year. “These uncommitted delegates, 210 in all, could be the most fluid force in the convention if no candidate has locked in victory.”

He is referring to members of the Republican National Committee, the party’s governing body. Each state comes with one committeeman and one committeewoman, in addition to all state party chairs. Party rules also allocate three to Guam, Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands.

washingtonexaminer.com/can-gop-superdelegates-stop-trump/article/2580289

That’ll teach me to believe the news :rolleyes:

as Bernie says - “The system is rigged!”

I can’t remember now - I usually read 4-5 news sources a day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.