What's an Anglo-Catholic?

I’m confused with the term Anglo-Catholic.

Is it the one the Benedict XVI set up for former Anglicans and Episcopalians?

Anglo-Catholics are Anglicans.

No.

The term has been around since the 19th century.
I believe John Henry Newman’s Oxford group were part of this trend.
Their goal was a more liturgical based Anglicism.

They don’t call former Anglican “Anglo catholic”. They are just catholic.

There is a Roman Catholic parish near me that utilizes the “Anglican use of the Roman Rite”.

From their website:

Word & Sacraments

As Catholics, we are nourished by both God’s word in the Scriptures and in the unchanging Tradition of the Church throughout the ages. The Anglican Use is a distinct usage of the Roman Rite, that focuses heavily on the reading and proclamation of Scripture, and applying it to our parish life corporately and to our lives individually. The word of God is life-changing and transforming (Heb. iv. 12) and is interpreted through the Tradition of the Church and applied very seriously to our situations. In his role as chief pastor of the faithful, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI wrote in Verbum Dei, “The living Tradition is essential for enabling the Church to grow through time in the understanding of the truth revealed in the Scriptures; indeed, ‘by means of the same tradition, the full canon of the sacred books is known to the Church and the holy Scriptures themselves are more thoroughly understood and constantly made effective in the Church.’ Ultimately, it is the living Tradition of the Church which makes us adequately understand sacred Scripture as the word of God. Although the word of God precedes and exceeds sacred Scripture, nonetheless Scripture, as inspired by God, contains the divine word (cf. 2 Tim iii. 16) ‘in an altogether singular way.’”

Likewise, the Sacraments of the Church are what help sanctify us in a unique way. The seven sacraments, and the many sacramentals of the Church, nourish us in a mysterious way, being sure and certain means of grace. Our communal life revolves around the Eucharist, which we celebrate according to the Anglican Use.

Music

Our parish’s musical life is directed by Dr. Sandra Fryling, who is deeply committed to having music not just complement liturgy but be an integral part of it to the greater glory of God. Bl. John’s has two choirs: the S. Cecilia’s Choir, which is our “general" choir composed of laity who are both trained and untrained musically. S. Cecilia’s Choir sings most Sundays. The second choir, which is our professional choir, is the Tallis Chapel Society. These men and women are trained and perform special pieces for high Holy Days and other services, like Evensong, and also plan to perform at other special events in and around Southern California.

Our “main fare" at Bl. John’s is composed of Anglican and Gregorian chant, English and American hymnody with special emphasis on Anglican hymns, and traditional Latin Rite Catholic compositions.

The Church of England (CofE), and, as far as I know, other Anglican churches, has a diverse range of clergy, congregants and forms of worship. I once worked with a lady who went to an evangelical CofE church. They didn’t have candles on their altar. They had a very protestant-type style of worship. The Anglo-Catholics are at the other end of the CofE spectrum. Some use the ordinary of the Roman Rite Mass rather than the CofE’s own liturgical text. They use plenty of candles, bells and incense. They use the same vestments as our clergy. Although it pains me to say it they often appear more catholic than we do at times. They call their communion services Mass. Many of them have adopted catholic pious practices and devotions such as benediction, rosary, angelus, stations of the cross, etc.

Bl. John’s is an amazing parish. I assist as an Altar Server there. Check it out one Sunday- highly recommended!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.