What's At Stake

I wanted to take a moment to partly make a confession, but partly to share something as a warning.

Many of you know me as a Catholic who tries to do his best to defend the faith, but there is more to my story than just that, and I felt it was time to reveal. No I am not a profit, and no I haven't received any visions. I am simply someone that understands what is at stake, and wants desperately to share it.

I know for a fact, that if Protestantism is true… My soul is safe as long as I keep doing what I do.
I also know, that if I continue along the path I am currently on, if Catholicism is true, I am extremely suspect at best. Part of me knows where I am headed.

Let me explain…

My heart, and mind, and soul are completely devoted to the Church that Christ found. But my actions say otherwise. A weakness of mine is my inability to act upon that faith in my public and private life outside of these forums. Though I do not care to go into detail, this has kept me from the Eucharist, confession, and His Church. What keeps me away is nothing short of being a coward.

Because of this, I understand that I have failed Christ. I do not know why I have been given such a personal zeal for his church, and why I have found his church to be the Catholic church, yet still have such a moping cowardess that keeps me away. But here I am, apparently chosen in some way to stay away… But I understand it is a choice I have made for some reason.

Why am I saying this…

I want those that are detractors to the faith to know what is at stake for me when I am defending the Church. I am defending the very thing that will condemn me, not because she is wrong, but because she is right. It would be so easy for me to accept Protestantism because that would “convince” me that I am saved. But I know it is wrong. I know it is false. I must accept the Catholic Church because her teachings are true, But I must also accept that because of those true teachings, I am condemned.

I will rejoice in God’s ultimate decision if he does condemn me because I will know it is a Just Decision…

However, if while I am here, I am able to save even one that would have other wise perished, then perhaps it is not in vain.

May His church always rein victorious. And that church is the Catholic Church headed by the Pope in Rome. My heart will always remain loyal, ad I will defend her as I can, but my actions will ultimately condemn me.

In Christ Always

But it isn’t so you can forget about false assurance.

I also know, that if I continue along the path I am currently on, if Catholicism is true, I am extremely suspect at best. Part of me knows where I am headed.

Let me explain…

My heart, and mind, and soul are completely devoted to the Church that Christ found. But my actions say otherwise.

We all fall short. No cause for alarm in that. It keeps us humble.

A weakness of mine is my inability to act upon that faith in my public and private life outside of these forums. Though I do not care to go into detail, this has kept me from the Eucharist, confession, and His Church. What keeps me away is nothing short of being a coward.

You are unclear. Are you saying you fail to witness when you SHOULD witness? What could possibly keep you from confession? If you’re ashamed of yourself, then accept the shame with joy and suck it up – it’s an opportunity to receive the mercy of Jesus on HIS terms. You’ll be glad you did.

Because of this, I understand that I have failed Christ. I do not know why I have been given such a personal zeal for his church, and why I have found his church to be the Catholic church, yet still have such a moping cowardess that keeps me away. But here I am, apparently chosen in some way to stay away… But I understand it is a choice I have made for some reason.

So un-make the choice. Go to the source of the healing. Sometimes the doctor has to poke you or give you nasty-tasting medicine, but you need to go anyway.

Why am I saying this…

I want those that are detractors to the faith to know what is at stake for me when I am defending the Church. I am defending the very thing that will condemn me, not because she is wrong, but because she is right. It would be so easy for me to accept Protestantism because that would “convince” me that I am saved. But I know it is wrong. I know it is false. I must accept the Catholic Church because her teachings are true, But I must also accept that because of those true teachings, I am condemned.

Hogwash. You’re just happier living with your misery than dealing with it. You know the mercy of Jesus is bigger than you are.

I will rejoice in God’s ultimate decision if he does condemn me because I will know it is a Just Decision…

Preach it, Brother!

However, if while I am here, I am able to save even one that would have other wise perished, then perhaps it is not in vain.

May His church always rein victorious. And that church is the Catholic Church headed by the Pope in Rome. My heart will always remain loyal, ad I will defend her as I can, but my actions will ultimately condemn me.

In Christ Always

Blah, blah, blah. Take care of your own house and stop worrying about the other guy for now. It’s great to love the Church (and I know the syndrome, believe me!) but the greatest act of charity, the greatest act of Christian witness any man can make is tending to the salvation of his own soul.

God love you.

Well, you can’t be that much of a coward because you just confessed to us.

Now go to a priest and tell him what you told us.

I write this in the most loving tone possible: It is a form of pride to say that you are outside of God’s mercy–that God will have to condemn you because you just can’t be saved.

You sound, dear soul, like the man who hid his talent because he believed his master to be “a hard man who reaps where he does not sow,” etc. IOW, the master was at fault for the man’s inaction and attitude according to him. But we know that isn’t the case, don’t we?

Get yourself to a confessor ASAP and give up this romantic notion that God and his Church cannot help you. I have to tell you this–you are only a poor sinner just like the rest of us, and nothing you have to tell your confessor will be in any way new to him.

Um, no.

Jesus wants one thing from you - for you to follow Him. If Jesus has called you into the Catholic church, you need to go there.You becoming holy is why Jesus died. If you don’t follow him yourself, you are denying his crucifixion and resurrection. He loves you. He wants you with Him. Being a Protestant doesn’t make you any less responsible for your sins. If you know something is a sin against God and you do it anyway, you are separating yourself from Him. A Protestant would say that by doing this, you show that your salvation was never real to begin with.

Understand that if you do not follow Jesus, others will follow you away from Him. It is one way or the other, you draw others to Him or away from Him.

Tackle your sins one day at a time - if there is one sin particularly that is weighing you down, get help for it. Your choices are eternal - they are everything to you - they are the most important thing in the world. GO TO JESUS!!! He will help you.

Bottom line

“A man might flatter, or bribe, or coax a tyrant; but there is no refuge from the love of God.” - George MacDonald

Revelation 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

You appear to be in a spiritual slump. One thing that needs to be made clear is that you dont have to go head to head with any non-Catholics you meet. That is not your job. If anything our role in apologetics is a hobby, it is not required.
What is required of us is to keep Christ’s commandments (eg Love God and Neighbor), including weekly mass, frequent use of the Sacraments, and dont do anything that will scandalize others.

You are not a coward, defending your faith head to head is not easy, it is especially hard when you are dealing with people who lack common sense.

I suggest you go to confession if you have a mortal sin on your conscience. Check out masstimes.org to hopefully find a local church with a confession you can get to in the next 24 hrs. I guarantee you will be refreshed once you go to confession.

You have not failed Christ. The only thing He is concerned about is if you are living a Christian life.

Why am I saying this…

I dont follow, if you are under the Catholic banner you most certainly are not condemned.

In Christ Always

What are these “actions” that you are concerned about?

Courage is a gift of the Holy Spirit.

The sacraments, namely Confirmation, are great purveyors of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Confession and Eucharist are also highly reccomended.

Since you were raised Catholic, there must be some underlying situation you are now in that is the cause of your cowardice. Eg. married to a divorced woman; job where Catholic faith would be detrimental, role in Protestant Church, etc.

I think the advice to see a priest is wise, especially if the situation you’re in is considered sinful by the Church. If you cannot get up the nerve to go to a priest in person, perhaps you can speak with one via a forum or e-mail. The moderators may be able to put you in touch with someone.

Without specific information on the problem, it’s difficult for anyone to advise.

God bless you,
Nita

heisenburg, if we look only to self we inevitably see our unworthiness and will be fearful to rise from the “slough of despond” in which our pride has us revel. Turning our eyes to Christ, however, gives us the courage to rise from our sorry state:

. . .if we turn from self towards God, our understanding and our will become nobler and readier to embrace all that is good: if we never rise above the slough of our own miseries we do ourselves a great disservice. We were saying just now how black and noisome are the streams that flow from souls in mortal sin. Similarly, although this is not the same thing – God forbid! It is only a comparison – so long as we are buried in the wretchedness of our earthly nature these streams of ours will never disengage themselves from the slough of cowardice, pusillanimity and fear. We shall always be glancing around and saying: “Are people looking at me or not?” “If I take a certain path shall I come to any harm?” “Dare I begin such and such a task?” “Is it pride that is impelling me to do so?” “Can anyone as wretched as I engage in so lofty an exercise as prayer?” “Will people think better of me if I refrain from following the crowd?” “For extremes are not good,” they say, “even in virtue; and I am such a sinner that if I were to fail I should only have farther to fall; perhaps I shall make no progress and in that case I shall only be doing good people harm; anyway, a person like myself has no need to make herself singular.”

Oh, God help my daughters, how many souls the devil must have ruined in this way! They think that all these misgivings, and many more that I could describe, arise from humility, whereas they really come from our lack of self-knowledge. We get a distorted idea of our own nature, and, if we never stop thinking about ourselves, I am not surprised if we experience these fears and others which are still worse. It is for this reason, daughters, that I say we must set our eyes upon Christ our Good, from Whom we shall learn true humility, and also upon His saints. Our understanding, as I have said, will then be ennobled, and self-knowledge will not make us timorous and fearful; for, although this is only the first Mansion, it contains riches of great price, and any who can elude the reptiles which are to be found in it will not fail to go farther. Terrible are the crafts and wiles which the devil uses to prevent souls from learning to know themselves and understanding his ways. St. Teresa of Jesus, The Interior Castle, Ch. 2

Please review all the talk against protestants here. I suspect you are feeling that it is a catch all because of this OSAS stuff.

That is not what its about, sure there are those that believe that but they also believe alot of other stuff, so you would have to look into what else they believe that doesnt make it as easy as stated, not just the one thing. Just like scripture you cant take what you want and leave the rest.

I have not found many who think that being “saved” is the end and you just coast until you die. If works were not important then why do protestants care for the sick, poor go on missions, preach, give money, help at hospitals, feed their family, etc. If you could cruise then youd rob banks.

So please dont use sterotypes of protestants to fuel your feelings you are having. If your angry at God then tell Him, If your angry at yourself then tell Him. You cannot hide from Jesus only yourself. He already knows, He just needs you to tell Him, so you know. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.