What's for Dinner?

We often talk about SERIOUS topics in this forum---- we need some threads which are a little lighter in discussion. After-all, this is the FAMILY LIFE forum--- our families are more than just at home drama.

I'll be a newlywed in a few months and in order to help save money for the wedding (though we honestly are not spending THAT much on it--- I'd probably say less than $10k) and because I'll probably be the main meal maker (though my FH is a wonderful cook), I love hearing about new recipes and just seeing what others, in general, are making.

(Plus its helpful when I don't want to cook or don't know what to cook to get some inspiration)

So I'll start....

I'm making BBQ meatloaf (not sure how it'll turn out) and rice.... maybe a salad or I might top the rice with some stewed tomatoes and peppers.

Who's next?

i made a goulash for dinner, we ate some of it and the rest has gone in the freezer for another day

What does your recipe look like? I’ve wanted to try to make it, but I want to get a recipe from someone who actually makes it compared to a random one I find on a site.

And smart idea about making extra and freezing it :thumbsup:

Buckwheat pancakes with a dash of vanilla extract
and homegrown honey infused with peppermint.

Can you tell I'm single? :)

I made ham and cheese quesadillas. My family loves them, particularly the kids. They are fast, easy and if served with salsa can be a complete meal. Also, my kids like to personalize theirs. So, Gator likes meat and cheese in his, cha Cha loves meat, cheese and some chopped tomatoes and onions sprinkled in, etc. Then, I put them in the frying pan to melt all the ingredients together. We had fresh pineapple for dessert.

I gotta have fast meals on week nights because the kids have homework that I need to help them with. I just don’t have a lot of time to spend preparing and cleaning up, kwim?

We're having leftovers, so that's no help, but I do have this advice from when I had a job and we had fewer mouths to feed: Buy yourself some Pyrex or other glass 8x8 pans that can go from freezer to oven. That's the perfect size for 1/2 of a casserole that would go in a 9x13 pan. Eat 1/2, freeze half, so you don't hate the sight of that particular casserole by the time the two of you work your way through it. Glass is heavy and a little bulky, yes, but I think it is better about not transferring or picking up flavors than metals.

Also, there are some manufactures of no-boil lasagna noodles that make a 7x7 size. Who would want that weird size? Somebody splitting a batch of lasagna into two 8x8 pans, that's who. So if you can find it, try that.

Finally, keep in mind that cooking for two allows all sorts of 1-skillet dinners that those of us feeding 4-8 can't use any more. It is easy to make omelettes for two, but for eight, not so much. Look for those ideas in cookbooks and food magazines, and enjoy it while you can. When you can't, well that's OK. The nest empties faster than you think, and those are just the recipes and techniques to teach your kids before they get their first apartment.

Leftover homemade chili (diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, black and kidney beans, ground beef, extra chili powder) over brown rice. No sour cream. Washed down with bottled water. Prefaced with grace.

But that was 2 hours ago and this thread is giving me the munchies...

I am making vegetarian chilli from the Moosewood cookbook for the weekend. Served topped with a little cheddar cheese and sour cream on top - also some good crusty bread.

[quote="Angelic_Rose, post:1, topic:225589"]
We
Who's next?

[/quote]

Lean cuisine for me, hungry man for DH

we are working on portion control and timing of meals and since we work and are home different shifts cooking for 2 does not work out.
we are also working on no more restaurant meals, especially nothing delivered through a window in a paper bag

your idea is a good one, why not do what I have done for my sisters and DDs, ask relatives to contribute easy, inexpensive recipes for meals-4-2 for a family cookbook for you newlyweds

we have had recipe showers where some ingredients, or cooking implements required, or cookbooks and other accessories to go with the recipe are the gifts--and samples of the food are serve.

the one I always contribute begins with "boil a handful of pasta and open a jar of Ragu"

one time saving money saving recipe I learned from early morning TV that has become a family favorite is meatballs.

2 lbs of ground round, 6 slices white bread w/o crust, one one, package of seasoning mix (meatloaf, italian spaghetti sauce, chili whatever flavor will appeal to most of the family most of the time), and two tablespoons of milk. If you dont have seasoning mix add salt & pepper, couple of dashes worcestershire sauce or steak sauch. mix it together with your (clean) hands. pat it into your 9x12 or 9x13 pan

(I am guessing on the amount of meat but think 2 lbs is about right, you can also add half a pound of bulk pork or turkey sausage but not too much or you will have too much grease)

even it out, then take your plastic spatula or cake cutter and score the meat into 1" cubes by drawing evenly spaced lines crossways and the long way.

bake at 325 for about 30 minutes, check at 15 minuteds and spoon of grease if there is a lot, then put it back to finish cooking.. They don't have to bake completely just enough to hold together and be brown because you are going to break them apart and freeze them in zip lock freezer bags, enough for a meal (8 means 4 apiece for a couple, about right, judge by the size and your husbands appetite).
all you need to do is nuke for 1 minute and add to your marinara sauce (from a if you are still learning for spaghetti),
canned gravy (if you want stroganoff, you mix a glob of sour cream in this and sprinkle with paprika, and serve it over cooked noodles).
If you want stew you have cooked a bag of frozen stew or soup veggies, drained them, added canned gravy, and then the meatballs.

My husband whipped up his famous fried boneless chicken breasts and mashed 'taters! :dancing:

Sicilian Meatballs & Linguine:)
mix ricotta cheese,salt,pepper, italian bread crumbs, basil, parsley,eggs,garlic, parmesan & mozzarella cheeses then mixed with ground turkey. Shapped into baseball sized meatballs:)
Then take fresh or canned diced tomatoes crushed by hand and placed into a roasting pan season with salt & pepper place meatballs on top then bake for about 45 min. @ 350 degrees. toss with your pasta.

Bah, this makes me sad and hungry, I hate to cook, yet need to eat:o
This evening, I dipped lavash bread into Canadian sour cream, had a satsuma mandarin, and had a cup of greek honey yogurt.

Man, thanks for nothing, hope1986, now I’m hungry for goulash!:stuck_out_tongue:

Tonight we’re doing super easy. Salsa chicken. Chicken breasts in a crock pot topped with salsa (actually it’s picante sauce). I usually add a little water, too. I serve it with rice and green beans.

The leftovers get made into chicken enchiladas.

Going out for Tex-Mex tonight with friends! :thumbsup:

One is a Cannon Lawyer, the other teaches Morality at a local Catholic high school for boys, and my husband works for RealCatholicTV. We always have the best conversations!!

~Liza

Last night I made roast pork tenderloin, homemade gravy, homemade mashed pots and saute dandilion greens - homemade bread slices topped & baked with mozzarella.

Pork tenderloin:

Season well with salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder.

Rub it in all over the loin.

Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon

Rub it in all over the loin.

Let this sit on your counter for 30 minutes

Oven to 450

Put loin in baking pan and bake until internal temp is 150

This might take 30 minutes or it might take 1 hour depending on the size of your loin.

Once you reached 150/155 take it out of the oven and let it rest, covered with foil for 15 minutes.

By doing this, the internal temp will go up to 160 and the juices will stay with the roast.

I also made homemade gravy and once the roast rested for 15 minutes, I put the roast juices in the gravy... man oh man.... it was awesome.

Anyway, slice your roast into thin slices and top off with gravy.. serve with side dishes..

Yum -O !!!

Tonight, -Wednesday- we are having split pea soup with ham hocks, homemade bread, burgers & hotdogs with toppings for each.

Good day for soup after this snowstorm we are having.

I have fresh ham hocks - I'm going to put them in the oven for about 1 hour to 2 hours @ 350 & bake them.

Then, I will take them out and start the soup.

Chop up onions, celery & carrots and saute in a sauce pot with a little olive oil & 1 tablespoon of butter.

Saute that for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, sort the split peas & wash them well.

Add them to the saute of veggies, throw the cooked ham hocks and about 8 cups of water.

I also throw in there some chopped parsley & 2 bay leaves.

I simmer all of that for about 2 hours on low flame, or until the soup has reached a thick consistency.

We will be eating this through out the day while shoveling slow... :D

Tonight, it's burgers & hotdogs with toppings and the left over saute dandilion greens from last night..

Can't wait... :thumbsup:

Oh yum! I don't know how I'm going to patiently wait for dinner tonight now :D

Puzzleannie--- I love your idea about recipe exchanges! That's so neat.... hmm... I wonder if we could get the faculty together and do something like that as a little party. I heard of a cookie exchange before where people come together, they all bring different cookies and place a label next to the cookie bag of what each cookie is.

My fiance is making lasagna for dinner tonight! Super excited :thumbsup:

[quote="Angelic_Rose, post:17, topic:225589"]
OhMy fiance is making lasagna for dinner tonight! Super excited :thumbsup:

[/quote]

now this is exciting
maybe if you hold off on learning to cook yourself he will take that over, hmmm something to think about

[quote="puzzleannie, post:18, topic:225589"]
now this is exciting
maybe if you hold off on learning to cook yourself he will take that over, hmmm something to think about

[/quote]

Actually on most nights, we have to fight over who is going to cook. He loves to cook and I love to cook--- and honestly he's probably a better cook than I am. He has to follow a recipe but he has the motivation to hunt for the very best recipe, call up friends and family to ask them about it, etc. I, on the other hand, am better at seeing what supplies we have in the house and putting them together to make an awesome dinner (plus I can clean as I cook so that's helpful too).

We already have a sorta set schedule on how we cook dinners. I get home around 4 or 5 pm on the weekdays, so I'll cook most nights. My sister is off on Tuesday, so she'll usually cook dinner on Tuesday. FH gets off usually Thursday and Sunday, so he'll cook those days. My sister and I are both off on Saturday, so we'll take turns usually. So overall, I cook Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Sister would cook Tuesday and sometimes Saturday. FH cooks Thursday and Sunday.

But yes its a true blessing to have a man who can actually cook! He's been living out here for a little over a year and within the first 6 months I gained almost 20 lbs from his cooking. Not thrilled about that but the food was AWESOME! Now we both have learned how to eat much smaller portions and only really one meal a day (we're not starving though-- we'll snack a bit before dinner) and I've lost about 10 lbs.

Oh, how I love food threads!

Last night we had homemade sloppy joes, which I really like to make with buffalo meat, but had to use beef this time. I saute some chopped onion and green pepper in olive oil, add in the meat with garlic (fresh chopped or powder), McCormick Smokehouse Maple seasoning and brown it and add a bunch of ketchup, a tablespoon or so of cider vinegar, a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, a squeeze of spicy brown mustard and maybe a drizzle of real maple syrup.

I serve it over freshly baked cheese biscuits (bisquick and shredded cheddar with a touch of thyme) with canned shoepeg corn on the side.

Tonight - who knows? Maybe breakfast. We've got a lot of bacon in the fridge, so that's a good start. And of course, I'll save the grease for other cooking. I've even seen recipes for chocolate chip cookies made with bacon grease.

Speaking of recipes, a couple of my favorite websites are these:

www.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking
www.foodgawker.com

Foodgawker has beautiful photos of food. When you click on them, you are taken to the original blog posts which often have step by step directions.

Have fun cooking and eating!
Betsy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.