What's for Dinner?

Love this thread!

Last night I made burgundy beef stew; brown lean sirloin or round of beef, cut into 1 inch pieces, then saute several garlic cloves, minced, with a whole onion, chopped small. Put the beef back into the pot with about 3 cups of red wine, about 2 cups of good beef broth, a low sodium beef bouillon cube, and simmer on low a couple hours. Add sliced mushrooms and carrot chunks the last hour or so. Add pepper and sea salt to taste. Serve with noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. The sauce will thicken, and by the second day is gravy-like in consistency. Yummy!

Tonight is fried brown rice with vegetables and shrimp or chicken. I cook the rice early, then chill it. Saute sliced onion, thinly sliced carrots, mushrooms, green peppers in sesame oil (smells divine). When crisp-tender, add in the chilled rice, with perhaps a bit of fish sauce (salty but tasty). Stir fry a minute or two. Add in shrimp or chicken that has been separately stir fried until just cooked. Stir until heated through. Season if desired. I serve this with spring rolls and sauce of your choice.

Now I'm hungry again...

Breaded chicken breasts over pasta, sauce, with cheese and garlic bread.

[quote="dixieagle, post:21, topic:225589"]
Love this thread!

Last night I made burgundy beef stew; brown lean sirloin or round of beef, cut into 1 inch pieces, then saute several garlic cloves, minced, with a whole onion, chopped small. Put the beef back into the pot with about 3 cups of red wine, about 2 cups of good beef broth, a low sodium beef bouillon cube, and simmer on low a couple hours. Add sliced mushrooms and carrot chunks the last hour or so. Add pepper and sea salt to taste. Serve with noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. The sauce will thicken, and by the second day is gravy-like in consistency. Yummy!

Tonight is fried brown rice with vegetables and shrimp or chicken. I cook the rice early, then chill it. Saute sliced onion, thinly sliced carrots, mushrooms, green peppers in sesame oil (smells divine). When crisp-tender, add in the chilled rice, with perhaps a bit of fish sauce (salty but tasty). Stir fry a minute or two. Add in shrimp or chicken that has been separately stir fried until just cooked. Stir until heated through. Season if desired. I serve this with spring rolls and sauce of your choice.

Now I'm hungry again...

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Awesome!!!

Black bean soup with corn tortillas and a salad.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:24, topic:225589"]
Black bean soup with corn tortillas and a salad.

[/quote]

Can you please share/post **your **black bean soup recipe.

Thanks!

Edit:

Please note: I am not looking for measurements, just what you put in it...

Thanks again!

[quote="Angelic_Rose, post:3, topic:225589"]
What does your recipe look like? I've wanted to try to make it, but I want to get a recipe from someone who actually makes it compared to a random one I find on a site.

And smart idea about making extra and freezing it :thumbsup:

[/quote]

this is it, i sometimes add in extra veg if ive some lurking at the bottom of the fridge about to go bad.
Ingredients

vegetable oil
1 large onion(finely chopped)
1 garlic clove(crushed)
750g stewing steak(or whatever beef you would use for a stew etc)
2ish tbsp paprika
400g tin chopped tomatoes
tomato puree (1tbsp?)
1 large red pepper
175g mushrooms(chopped)
600ml beef stock
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp water

Method

1. heat the oil in a large saucepan, Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for about 3-4 mins

2. Cut the beef into chucks if it isnt already cut, then add to the pot with the onion and garlic and cook on a high heat till just browned. Add the paprika and stir well( you might need to add more at the end of the cooking time, if you like a bit more kick)

3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, mushrooms and red pepper, cook for about 2 mins.

4. Add the stock and then bring to the boil, once boiled turn the heat down and place a lid on the saucepan.

5. leave to simmer for about 1.5-2hrs or until the meat is tender.

6. blend the cornflour and the water together and add to the pot stirring well untill the sauce is thickened. Cook for 1 min.

7. serve with potatoes or rice.

Progresso's Chicken Pot Pie--YUM!!!

Tomorrow: I think I'm going to de-frost some lasagna. I made the lasagna in my slow cooker and I'll be more than happy to share the recipe. :D

[quote="jakasaki, post:25, topic:225589"]
Can you please share/post **your **black bean soup recipe.

Thanks!

Edit:

Please note: I am not looking for measurements, just what you put in it...

Thanks again!

[/quote]

It's good that you don't need measurements, because I am a "creative" cook (i.e. slap together, rarely measure)!!

I use the shortcut of canned black beans, but I have soaked them before. The only problem with using dried beans is that you really do have to pick through them carefully for small pebbles. Those can easily crack a tooth if you let them get into the soup.

Anyway, you need to chop up a large yellow onion. Saute' it in some vegetable oil until softened but not mushy. Add 2 large cans of black beans, and one of refried black beans if you have them. If not, get your potato masher and smash up some of the regular beans as they warm up. Add about half a teaspoon of garlic, I use the kind that comes already minced up. You can use garlic powder if you prefer. It's just a little extra flavor, you can omit it if you don't like garlic. You can add a little splash of vinegar to help neutralize the beans too. :)

Warm slowly until it's hot, stirring frequently. Serve with fresh or jarred jalapeno peppers, corn tortillas, sour cream and of course, Tabasco!

Easy-peasy! And everyone was happy with tonight's batch. It's never quite the same twice but that would be boring.:D

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:28, topic:225589"]
It's good that you don't need measurements, because I am a "creative" cook (i.e. slap together, rarely measure)!!

I use the shortcut of canned black beans, but I have soaked them before. The only problem with using dried beans is that you really do have to pick through them carefully for small pebbles. Those can easily crack a tooth if you let them get into the soup.

Anyway, you need to chop up a large yellow onion. Saute' it in some vegetable oil until softened but not mushy. Add 2 large cans of black beans, and one of refried black beans if you have them. If not, get your potato masher and smash up some of the regular beans as they warm up. Add about half a teaspoon of garlic, I use the kind that comes already minced up. You can use garlic powder if you prefer. It's just a little extra flavor, you can omit it if you don't like garlic. You can add a little splash of vinegar to help neutralize the beans too. :)

Warm slowly until it's hot, stirring frequently. Serve with fresh or jarred jalapeno peppers, corn tortillas, sour cream and of course, Tabasco!

Easy-peasy! And everyone was happy with tonight's batch. It's never quite the same twice but that would be boring.:D

[/quote]

Thank you so much Juliane ~

I make mine the same way, except instead of vinegar, I use lime juice, sometimes lemon juice if I don't have limes... and I also use fresh chopped cilatro.

When I serve mine, I pour the soup into a bowl, then I top it off with a bit of sour cream and on top of the sour cream I put a tablespoon of salsa.

And for my hot sauce since I'm not a fan of Tabasco, I use Franks Red Hot.

Thank you for sharing your recipe.... :thumbsup:

Making (WW) Classic Chicken Soup with Noodles tonight.:)

Last night we had chili...it was really good!

Tonight, I have no idea.Not feeling very motivated today..any suggestions..I have a freezer full of venison, so give me something to make:D

Venison stew? Or make it another day in a slow cooker.

I also am usually a non-measuring cook, because I've noticed when I follow recipes to a T they usually suck. Exception is baking (yeast) bread because I'm new to it, and am still somewhat sucky at that without the help of the breadmaker, though I may have just had bad luck with the recipes before. (I like that idea better.)

I love cooking but am very not good at planning ahead, so I make trips to the store every other day or so. I did that before I was married too, but silly me though two people would go through stuff in the fridge/cupboard better than one person. Unfortunately, he doesn't eat breakfast, and has lunch at work, so it really isn't helping that much and stuff still gets thrown out. "One of these days" I will make a weekly list and cook some things ahead of time.

I made alfredo sauce tues night. I can't stand the stuff from the jar (I've had multiple brands) and I'm not too fond of ordering it a restaurant because of the grease in it, which you only see the next day when you try to reheat it. The recipe I used was amazing and didn't separate or otherwise get nasty in the fridge, either. Added some broccoli and cut up chicken. mmmmmm :D

Last night I made baked ziti (well, baked penne) with the leftover pasta and pakage of cheese.

Tonight we're having wings. I'm going to get a few different sauces and try a rub or two for some variety and as insurance in case we don't like something.

I love food!

[quote="jakasaki, post:29, topic:225589"]
Thank you so much Juliane ~

I make mine the same way, except instead of vinegar, I use lime juice, sometimes lemon juice if I don't have limes... and I also use fresh chopped cilatro.

When I serve mine, I pour the soup into a bowl, then I top it off with a bit of sour cream and on top of the sour cream I put a tablespoon of salsa.

And for my hot sauce since I'm not a fan of Tabasco, I use Franks Red Hot.

Thank you for sharing your recipe.... :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Yum! I just had the leftovers for lunch. Yes, sometimes I garnish it with cilantro - the lime juice is an excellent idea but does it neutralize the bean effect too? Since I grew up putting vinegar on all bean dishes, I thought it was normal until someone looked at me funny when I put vinegar on my beans and cornbread....It helps. Of course not as much as "Beano," but a lot cheaper!

[quote="insideitall, post:33, topic:225589"]
I also am usually a non-measuring cook, because I've noticed when I follow recipes to a T they usually suck. Exception is baking (yeast) bread because I'm new to it, and am still somewhat sucky at that without the help of the breadmaker, though I may have just had bad luck with the recipes before. (I like that idea better.)

I love cooking but am very not good at planning ahead, so I make trips to the store every other day or so. I did that before I was married too, but silly me though two people would go through stuff in the fridge/cupboard better than one person. Unfortunately, he doesn't eat breakfast, and has lunch at work, so it really isn't helping that much and stuff still gets thrown out. "One of these days" I will make a weekly list and cook some things ahead of time.

I made alfredo sauce tues night. I can't stand the stuff from the jar (I've had multiple brands) and I'm not too fond of ordering it a restaurant because of the grease in it, which you only see the next day when you try to reheat it. The recipe I used was amazing and didn't separate or otherwise get nasty in the fridge, either. Added some broccoli and cut up chicken. mmmmmm :D

Last night I made baked ziti (well, baked penne) with the leftover pasta and pakage of cheese.

Tonight we're having wings. I'm going to get a few different sauces and try a rub or two for some variety and as insurance in case we don't like something.

I love food!

[/quote]

When my kids were little I had to shop ahead, and plan my meals once a week. I probably still should do that, but I've either gotten lazier or more spontaneous, because now days, I usually decide in the morning what I will fix for supper that night. Sometimes I have what I need, but if not, I pick it up along with the milk that we seem to go through 2 gals. a day when college-student son is home. I used to be able to go shopping once a week, with maybe one extra trip for fresh veggies and milk mid-week.

I have to admit I do get bored of cooking sometimes. Pleasing 4 people with gluten-free food is a challenge that I am sometimes simply not up to, but I do my best. I am no chef, but I am a good "supper cook." I use any shortcuts I can, because take-out pizza or other cheap solutions are not possible on the GF diet. I had to start cooking like wives did in the 1950's, mostly from scratch, after our son was diagnosed 10 years ago. It's easier now but I still get bored sometimes.

:cool::shrug:

Rice with green peas, pepper steak and will steam some broccoli when we get home

epicurious.com/:D

I made Weight Watchers slow cooker lasagna about a month ago and froze the leftovers in baggies. I put two of the leftover baggies in the fridge this morning to get it to defrost. I'll heat it up in the microwave this evening. YUM!!

Not sure for tomorrow. I hope to go to the supermarket after work and maybe I'll get something from the deli so that I won't have to cook. :p

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:34, topic:225589"]
Yum! I just had the leftovers for lunch. Yes, sometimes I garnish it with cilantro - the lime juice is an excellent idea but does it neutralize the bean effect too? Since I grew up putting vinegar on all bean dishes, I thought it was normal until someone looked at me funny when I put vinegar on my beans and cornbread....It helps. Of course not as much as "Beano," but a lot cheaper!

[/quote]

Funny that you mention that.. :p

I grew up with vinegar in my lentil bean soup and lemon in my bean soups and lime in the black beans - although - I have used lemon many times.

And I too have recieved many "looks" when I splash vinegar in my lentil soup...

Too funny...!!! :D

[quote="insideitall, post:33, topic:225589"]

I love food!

[/quote]

Let me know when the wings are ready... I'll be right over for dinner... :D

I LOVE chicken wings - LOVE THEM...!!! :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.