What's it like for Jesus when we receive Him?

this might be sort of a strange question but here goes :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s interesting to talk about how people sometimes feel Christ’s presence when they receive Him in the Eucharist…

but what I’ve never really discussed before is, what’s it like for Him?? can we even know?

the reason I’m asking is because - as we know, the Eucharist is not a ‘dead object’, it’s Our Lord Himself, Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity…which means that He is alive and conscious there, He unites Himself with us as we receive Him…

so if we receive Him in a state of mortal sin, does that hurt Him?

Is He pleased by our love (poor as it might be…)

My dear friend

Great topic. I’ll just say one thing. We think we’re receiving Jesus in holy comunion, but we are really being received by Jesus in holy communion. We enter into the most intimate comunion with God when we receive the host. We go into God who is Love. We enter heaven but do not experience it. Holy mmunion is the greatest expression of love God can give us- He gives Himself totally. There’s nothing more He can do. We can visualise and imagine ourselves in heaven during holy communion. Because that i’s the reality we don’t yet perceive but will later. We only hurt ourselves by making a bad communion too.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

WOW…that was incredibly beautiful–well stated John! :thumbsup:

We are being received by Our Lord and there is nothing that HE wants more than to receive us coming to HIM openly, freely…I pray only that more of the world were more open to being received by HIM :gopray:

Great topic…this thread just made my day! :smiley:

Shannon

I imagine the heat of a thousand suns couldn’t compare with the burning love which Jesus has for us when we receive Him in Communion – which causes me to ponder, along with St. Gemma, how it is that we’re not consumed by such flames.

Very good point–we are received into Jesus, being in intimate communion with him.

Not only that, but because everyone else who receives Jesus in communion is in communion with him, we are also in communion with all of them–our own congregation, those receiving in a different parish, those who received communion in the past, and the saints in heaven. We become united together in communion with the one Jesus.

The soul in mortal sin is to Jesus like a second Passion. So Him entering such a heart is like His crucifixion. This is why Saint Paul says that those who receive Jesus unworthy are guilty of murder.

The soul in the state of grace or venial sin is to Jesus like Heaven. So Him entering such a heart is like His Ascension. This is why we can only receive Jesus worthily and out of love and reverence.

"Strengthened Anew at Every Eucharist

Finally, St Faustina learned that we do not walk the way of spiritual childhood by our own strength. Jesus Himself is living in us and through us, if we let Him. In fact, Jesus comes to make our hearts His dwelling place at every Holy Eucharist. In a sense, the Christ Child is born anew in our hearts at every Eucharist. Many times, the Child Jesus revealed to St Faustina His Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist.

She writes of a Mass celebrated by her spiritual director, Fr Joseph Andrasz, SJ: " … I saw the Infant Jesus who, with hands outstretched toward us, was sitting in the chalice being used at Holy Mass. After gazing at me penetratingly, He spoke these words: ‘As you see Me in this chalice, so I dwell in your heart’" (Diary, 1346). The little jesus is instructing St Faustina that, through His Eucharistic Presence, He dwells in her heart as the source of her strength.

Even as the Infant Jesus strengthened her in the Eucharist, His abiding presence also filled her heart with great joy. Her desire grew for Him alone as the greatest treasure of all. She writes of February 2, 1936, “… when Mass began, a strange silence and joy filled my heart. Just then, I saw Our Lady with the Infant Jesus … The most holy Mother said to me, ‘Take my Dearest Treasure’, and she handed me the Infant Jesus. When I took the Infant Jesus in my arms, the Mother of God and St Joseph disappeared. I was left alone with the Infant Jesus” (Diary, 608).

Thus, the little Jesus became everything to St Faustina as she attended Mass and then received Him in Holy Communion. May we, too, grow to appreciate the Christ Child as our dearest treasure at Holy Mass this Christmas and throughout the rest of the year, He is truly Emmanuel, God-with-us – the gift beyond all telling."
s-infantjesus.org/?q=node/24

I have been reading the Diary of Saint Faustina. Jesus revealed how he is upset that so many people receive him at communion without faith as if he were simply something dead.
I can imagine how he must feel when someone goes to communion who has abandoned God deliberately by his mortal sin.
The other things people say here about communion I would think are true too. Jesus loves us more than we can imagine and I thing our own response in love and faith means much to him. He must especially rejoice at the pure of heart coming to him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.