What's most important to me about being Catholic?

I’ve been chosen to serve on my Parish Council, and one of our first tasks is to produce a bulletin insert that will give the Parish information about each of the Council members.

Just curious how you might answer this question in one or two sentences… What’s most important to me about being Catholic?

I have several ideas of my own, but I thought I might be able to get some good guidance in this forum. I want to make sure that I take advantage of this opportunity to introduce myself to the Parish as a… “Serious Catholic”.

Thanks!

I’m not going to answer your question, but wanted to let you know, we just had elections in our parish(es), and shortly after had a townhall meeting about the shared pastor, etc. One of the things the people brought up was basically “how the heck are we supposed to pick good council memebers based on a small paragraph in the bulletin that mostly just says married, x kids, been a member for x years.” They want real meat on your views and ideas for the parish.

Knowing that I’m a part of the true, long, everlasting Faith in Christendom. Though not perfect, our Tradition is the truest form of Christianity- and I love sharing it with anyone and everyone.

[quote=andyk]…
Just curious how you might answer this question in one or two sentences… What’s most important to me about being Catholic?
…!
[/quote]

The most important thing about being Catholic is that it is true.

[quote=andyk]…What’s most important to me about being Catholic?…I want to make sure that I take advantage of this opportunity to introduce myself to the Parish as a… “Serious Catholic”. Thanks!
[/quote]

A of “sense of community”.

[quote=TAS2000]…One of the things the people brought up was basically “how the heck are we supposed to pick good council memebers based on a small paragraph in the bulletin that mostly just says married, x kids, been a member for x years.” They want real meat on your views and ideas for the parish.
[/quote]

Credentials and knowledge is important. Finding council members and ministry volunteers that are street and book smart is a bonus. Do people ever list their credentials: PhD., CMA, BA, BS, etc? I’d be worried if a finance council member is not in industry.

I strongly believe that parishes need to select volunteers who can represent the parish throughout the diocese. Council members should also not have children in the parish school system - conflict of interest.

[quote=DeFide]The most important thing about being Catholic is that it is true.
[/quote]

Very good! Actually one of my possible answers was to give one word… TRUTH.

I’m not quite sure if this would come across to the parishoners very well. Then again… it may speak volumes.

Thanks for the input everyone… please keep it coming!

[quote=TAS2000]I’m not going to answer your question, but wanted to let you know, we just had elections in our parish(es), and shortly after had a townhall meeting about the shared pastor, etc. One of the things the people brought up was basically “how the heck are we supposed to pick good council memebers based on a small paragraph in the bulletin that mostly just says married, x kids, been a member for x years.” They want real meat on your views and ideas for the parish.
[/quote]

Interestingly… our Parish Council was mostly drawn from a hat a couple of weeks after nominations were made by the parishioners. Those nominated were invited to an information session… afterwards we were given a week to decide if we would like to be in the hat.
Twelve were picked in this manner… two more were picked by the pastor.

What about the wonderful gift of The Eucharist…

TRUTH :thumbsup:

Faith, Hope, Love

The Eucharist, getting to heaven, and knowing the truth.

Spreading the message of love. Believing in the will of God to always forgive, and trying to implement that in my own life.

The Most Holy Eucharist!!!

The most important thing for me as being a catholic is that i now that i belong to the One Holy catholic and Apostolic Church and that all the Traditions are infallible and based on the teachings of the Apostles and of Jesus Christ with the light of the Holy Spirit for the Glory of the Almighty Father.

PC should represent the parish, you have to let them know that you will defend the faith, and see to it that those hired to hand on the faith do it properly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.