What's my Moral Obligation

So today it seems common for people to download things illegally. Since they fully know it’s wrong, do we still have an obligation to tell someone that they shouldn’t have downloaded these things? I mean they aren’t going to listen, so should we even try? Is there ever a good time to not say anything?

CCC 1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

• by participating directly and voluntarily in them;
  • by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;
  • by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;
  • by protecting evil-doers.

idk it seems like what we do doesnt seem to catch up with us…

“Seem” is the key word. It always catches up with us.

You belive sort of carma ish?

If you don’t speak up, you are indirectly giving consent. If, after having spoken up, they refuse to listen to you or are belligerent, you have no moral obligation to continue once your voice has been heard.

Would this make us equally as guilty? Like if their download was a mortal sin then I’m also in a state of mortal sin?

That I don’t actually know. I’ll ask around at dinner tomorrow (I’m in a graduate summer school program at a Catholic college) and let you know what the consensus is.

Morality can be very subjective. My parish priest is very strict and traditional on sexual sins and transgressions.

He recently bought a new computer and asked me if I would download software programs to use on the computer. I said it is possible to do so, but illegal and therefore possible not the moral choice. He replied ‘but everyone does it’.

I then said that if everyone fornicates, does that make it right?

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.