What's so great about homeschooling?

I’ve been considering homeschooling our kids for some time & have now decided to go ahead & do it! We’ll be starting this Fall & I am really nervous & excited.
Our kids have been in private schools so far, first a Montessori for our daughter then our local priv Catholic school for K-3 and our son attended Pre-K there as well this yr. Largely due to financial reasons & also b/c I feel we are supposed to hs-we will be.
I read on the CHC website that homeschooled kids typically score higher on academic achievement tests than public schooled kids-why is this?
And additionally, why is homeschooling better (for those to choose to…) than other schooling options? or-why does homeschooling work for you?
Also, for those moms who work outside the home or go to school yourself & homeschool your children, how do you do it & more importantly-WHY?
(I think I am looking for encouragement here…but open to all related responses…)
Renny

I read on the CHC website that homeschooled kids typically score higher on academic achievement tests than public schooled kids-why is this?

Probably because the teacher isn’t forced to keep the kids operating at grade level. We are more easily able to adapt our programs to our childrens’ abilities. We also don’t focus so much on scissors and glue.:wink:

And additionally, why is homeschooling better (for those to choose to…) than other schooling options? or-why does homeschooling work for you?

Homeschooling doesn’t always work for me. Sometimes I feel like an utter failure especially when I look at my friends who have almost twice as many kids and manage to be teaching their kids college level courses (yes that’s an exaggeration). The funny thing is that when I have them tested every year (just for my benefit and the practice) they always score in the top percentiles if not the highest so they must be absorbing something.

The thing I love about homeschooling is the closeness we have in our family. Our children are friends. This doesn’t mean that they don’t have friends outside of the family. They do and lots of them. That said, they share a closeness that me and my siblings couldn’t due to our differing grade levels, friends, being apart for so long during the week, etc.

The other thing I love is that our Faith is part of our schooling and family at the same time. It’s not something we do “during school”. We have time to weave the lessons into our daily lives and we all share in this together. Our older kids share the faith with the younger ones, etc.

As far as I encouragement, I’ll tell you the same thing that I tell most people. If I can do it, you can.:thumbsup:

I tell people the same thing. If I can do it, so can you.

I could talk for hours about what I like about home schooling. But I pared it down to just a couple of things.

Teachable moments. Those times that you are walking along and come across a snail/bug/whatever, and can take off with it in a lesson. You are at the store and need to make something that requires calculating, and the kids do the calculating. The first nice day of Spring and you have class outside and spend all day on Science. Teachable moments.

Family time. My husband comes home for lunch most days. That means that our son has lunch with Mom and Dad almost every day. And special lunches with Dad, when Dad can take a longer lunch. Dad takes a half day off, we can make a field trip out of it and go hiking.

The worst thing is teacher/parent burn out. It happens to everyone. Teachers at schools get the summer off, workers get vacation. Remember that, and plan some time away from your children. Even one night out a month, with the ladies. Or every third Saturday just you at the mall. Church retreats and the like will help you to keep fresh for your children.

I would also like to hear the answer to this.

Also, if their are any single parents who homeschool, how do you do it?

**My DD is only 10 months old but I am already seriously considering homeschooling her for many different reasons. If done PROPERLY, I do believe it is a better option than regular school (at least the ones here).

I also know that it will be very hard work too (especially considering my health). But it is also super flexible, which really appeals to me.

I wish you well on this new adventure! Please let us know how it goes and pass on any tips/tricks/experiences you have that will help moms like me in a few years:thumbsup:

Malia

I have a question but please don’t take it the wrong way.

I think that many parents could teach their kids up to a certain grade level. However, lets be honest, we all have strong points and weak points. A person can be great at History and English but poor at Calculus. So what do you do in those situations? Do you get a tutor to make sure that your child gets the information that he/she needs. Do you let them figure it out on their own?

I always wonder about this.

No backpacks all over the floor in the afternoon. No permission slips, reading logs, PTO requests, dress codes, no collections for this teacher, that teacher, this party, that. No frantic where’s my hat, mittens, boots, hey I have gym today where’s my uniform freenzy because ohmygosh HURRY HURRY the bus is coming!!! No year of the clunker teacher because she’s going through a nasty divorce or is burned out of teaching because of a bad administration. No late night working on a dieorama of the habitat of a sloth. No mean girls who won’t let your child sit with them at the lunch table because she doesn’t wear “cool clothes.”

I don’t homeschool - but those are some of the things I would SOOOOOO not miss if I did. :slight_smile:

You just put into words why homeschooling appeals to me!:thumbsup:

**From my very limited research into homeschooling, there are MANY options. Homeschooling isn’t the social taboo it used to be. There are groups, networks, and other sources of help now.

I’m sure an experienced homeschooling parent will answer you in much more detail!**

I don’t know that I am experienced, I have only home schooled for three years.

But in answer to your question, ElizaE, there are many answers. Some parents turn to other home schooling parents. Some turn to co-ops. Some turn to their own spouse. I am really good in Math, but Advance Science worries me, my husband’s degree is in Physics. Also, just because you were not good at Calculus in school, doesn’t mean that you can’t learn it. It may mean that you had a bad experience. You can very easily learn it as you teach it.

Think of the new show, Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. These questions make some people stumble. No one has won the million dollars, yet. Does that mean that the Yale graduate is not smarter than a fifth grader? I think not. I think it is because they have been away from school for so long. Home school teachers have not been away from it. We teach it every week, and grow with our children.

Good Question! There are lots of options: there are onliine courses, private tutors, video courses, community college classes (these often offer dual credit), friends who can “trade” courses with you, co-ops. Of course, you can lean on your spouse as well.

The curricula out there is so good that often your kids can teach themselves! In fact, my goal is to make my kids independent learners.

Anyway, no kid is going to learn everything in high school anyway. And, there are uneven teachers in high school, too. I had great English teachers in grades 9-11, but a mediocre one in 12th. And, my econ teacher was a great basketball coach, but not a very good teacher

Homeschooling is most like tutoring. Tutoring is so much more efficient than classroom learning. No need to review known skills, time to work on unlearned skills.

Just think about it, when a kid is struggling in a subject area, do we put him in more classes or get him a tutor?

It may have more to do with the children and their surroundings rather than the method/location of learning. Homeschooled children tend to live in families that are involved with their children (hopefully if they are homeschooling) and more “stable”. Children from unstable families that have parents that are not involved with their children tend to do more poorly at school. Its kind of like you are comparing apples and oranges, I think.

Here is something I had posted on a previous thread on this topic:
<<There are other factors that affect children’s test scores that are not mentioned and can skew the results. I think the demographics of the two studies were very different. For example, as you can probably guess: (from National Center for Education Statistics from the US Dept of Education) “Rudner (1999) found that 97 percent of homeschooling parents were married couples. The Parent-NHES:1999 shows the percentage of
homeschooled students living in two-parent households was much higher than the percentage for
nonhomeschoolers… In addition, 52 percent of homeschoolers came from two parent families where only one parent was participating in the labor force compared to 19 percent
for nonhomeschoolers.”

Amato (2001) reported that compared to children of continuously married parents, children with divorced parents, as a group, performed more poorly on a variety of measures. For all of the outcome variables, children with divorced parents performed statistically significantly lower.

BTW, while I was looking I also saw a study that hs students have a lower act math average, not that it matters, but just another tid bit of info.>>

I agree

I’ve wondered about this too… I’ve heard about outside teachers and going to classes in local community colleges/ universities, but I just wonder if that is still considered homeschooling.

BTW, Renny, I do not mean do discourage you in any way. In fact I agree in some cases I think HS may be best and I would not bat an eye to do it myself if I thought it was the best for my children in my situation :slight_smile: I wish you the best in this new wonderful endeavor you are taking upon yourself!!!

I burn out every year about January and February. This year was really bad. But, I’m very grateful for it because it forced me to look into a scheduling program that has really helped me to find peace.

Managers of Their Homes.

It’s working really well.

I think so. But, you do have to be wise about it. For one thing, taking classes is really time consuming with the drive. Frequently, you end up giving up a whole day for one class. So, you have to be careful about what you take.

Also, some of the influences you are avoiding will be in those classrooms.

How do they meet other children to make friends with?
How do you go about being someone who teaches children at home? How do know what to teach and at what point do you put them in school? Do you do it until they are in highschool? I don’t think I would be able to teach trig, lol

I don’t have children yet but I would consider homeschooling them but I would want them to be in school first to know what it is like to have to listen to someone other than a parent and what it is like to do school work with other children, and I would want them to go on school trips.

At what age do you stop homeschooling them?

My kids scored very high on everything but math computation and grammar. On those, they were average. But, my daughter was high on grammar, while the boys were in the average score.

I think as hsers we tend to avoid “busy” work, so we sometimes don’t spend enough time on drills.

Homeschool friends are the best! In general homeschool kids don’t have the same dog eat dog mentality that lots of school kids pick up. They tease less and are more likely to include others in their play. They generally don’t know that there is a category of kids called “nerds.” From my observations, these kids see every kids within three years or so of their age as a potential playmate. We’ve met our friends through our homeschool group and at our parish.

It’s really easy to know what to teach because there is such great curricula out there. You can go to a homeschool conference and find anything. And, you can also sign up with a correspondence school–they provide all lesson plans and books.

Or, you can go to your state’s department of ed website and download their standards. one of my friends uses Hillside academy’s standards.

Homeschoolers make their decisions year by year. When I first started hsing, I planned to go to 4th grade. Then, I thought we might go to eighth grade. Now, we are planning to hs through high school, but I’m not tied into it. If it seems better for the child or the family, we will put them in school.

School trips you can do with much more frequency and flexibility than a school can. You can go with your hs group or with another family or on your own.

There are lots of opportunities for classroom work. There’s Sunday school, co-op classes, 4-H clubs, community clubs, camps, art lessons, YWCA homeschool P.E., music lessons…it is endless. Sometimes, it’s harder to discern what not to do than to find things to do.

Oh, that’s very good! Thank you for that reply. I will consider this option when we have children (which we are thinking about starting a family this year:) . Infact, I am going to copy and paste your reply into an email message to myself. Thank you very much!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.