Whats the bowl called

whats the bowl called at mass where the unconsecrated hosts are consecrated?

I think it’s called the Ciborium.

i think thats used to store the hosts in the tabernacle
not the bowl that thwe priests use to consecrate the hosts

My mistake, you are correct. The Ciborium is in the tabernacle.

It is the ciborium. Ciboria come in different shapes and sizes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ciboria&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiUmMavv4vdAhUEtlkKHehdAisQsAR6BAgCEAE&biw=1152&bih=510

Paten?

x

I think that is the right answer.

Wow I remembered something from being an alter boy.

:smiley:

A ciborium is either the bowl-shaped vessel used to consecrate sometimes, or else the chalice-shaped one with a lid used to reserve the sacrament in the tabernacle.

A paten is a flat plate used to consecrate the priest’s host, usually matched to the chalice.

-Fr ACEGC

The flat plate that the hosts is on under the chalice veil is the Paten. The Ciborium is the covered cup kept in the Tabernacle with the Consecrated hosts and also the uncovered bowl that the Unconsecrated hosts are brought up in at the offertory.

What is that called that the alter boy holds during communion to make sure the host will not fall to the ground if there be an accident? If I may ask, this seems the perfect place for it if anyone might know.

Also a paten.

A ciborium typically resembles a chalice, but with a lid for reservation in the tabernacle. It may be used by the priest during the Mass.

A paten is typically a flat plate and is used by the priest during the Mass.

But if you browse liturgical catalogs, or even just google the phrases, you will find hybrid vessels called alternatively a “bowl ciborium” or a “bowl paten”* which is (as the OP asks) bowl-shaped. I have surely seen them used by the priest at Mass.

I presume the difference, if any, between the vessels is that the bowl ciborium, as its true ciborium counter part, likely has a fitted lid.

I’m curious why the priest only raises the large unbroken host at consecration. Why not also raise the smaller hosts in the paten that are distributed at Communion?

Good Lord! I did not even know it had a particular name! I always thought it was just that….a bowl. LOL. You learn something new every day. Thanks guys!

The reason the large host is raised at Mass during the Consecration is in reference to Christ’s presentation of the Eucharist to the Apostles. It is a moment of adoration of the Blessed Sacrament before it’s reception. This goes back in the Mass to the early days of the Church as St. Augustine, as he writes that we adore the Eucharist before we receive it (I forget the exact quote). The reason none of the other hosts are elevated is simply visibility. The large one is able to be seen even at the back of the Church. Usually, the large host is the only one on the paten. The other hosts are traditionally held in ciboria on the corpral (piece of linen cloth upon which the chalice, paten and ciboria are placed during consecration). If the ciboria or the paten is raised with all the hosts in it, the people simply would not be able to see the hosts, as they are laying flat.

I thought the moment of consecration was when the host is raised. You say when the host is raised it is the moment of adoration. When is the moment of consecration for both the large host and smaller hosts?

The elevation of the Eucharist immediately follows the actual consecration. It is raised only after it has been changed from bread into the Eucharist specifically for adoration. The elevation is separate from the actual moment of consecration. The exact moment of consecration for the host is actually when the Priests says the words, “…this is my body …”. There is a little known action which happens simultaneously to these words. While saying them, the priest is supposed to direct the breath generated by these words upon the host to represent the Holy Spirit enacting the change from bread and wine into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord

The consecration for the large and small hosts happen simultaneously. What is consecrated and what is not depends upon the intent of the priest at the moment of consecration. If he intends that all the hosts, both large and small, on the altar are to be consecrated, then they are. There are special instances when certain hosts which rest on the altar are not consecrated. For example, at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, the daily masses are held on a side altar in the left transept of the Basilica. An urn of unconsecrated hosts rests on a corner of the altar so that the mass may quickly be reset before a new one is started. In that case, the priest only intends that the hosts which are separated from the urn for consecration for that specific mass would be consecrated. As such, the hosts in the urn are not consecrated, even though they do technically rest on the altar.

Thanks. That’s some if the most useful and enlightening information I’ve read on this website.

Sorry Father I posted a response before I saw that you had responded.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.