Whats the difference between Eucharistic Adoration and just sitting in front of the tabernacle?

I guess it depends on what one means when they say it is no big deal. It’s a wonderful deal! Have you ever gotten a sunburn on a cloudy day? The sun is still present behind the clouds. And the Son is still present behind the tabernacle doors.

Dear dfp42,

I replied on the difference in post #10 and included a website article on why so important to visit the Host. Here it is again in case you missed it.

therealpresence.org/eucharst/pea/whyadore.htm

I hope you have time to read it.

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

I know this has been touched on in previous replies, but I just wanted to restate it without commenting on anything else so it’s clear:

There is little difference between Adoration of the exposed host in a monstrance and praying before the tabernacle. It is good to do both. Yes, Adoration involves more senses, you may get a closer ‘feeling’ of looking on each other, and you may be joining in community prayers (e.g. Benediction), but fundamentally, these are the same action of worshipping Christ present in the Eucharist.

There is a massive difference between either of the above and praying in your car/at home/anywhere else outside a church. Yes, God is everywhere, but in a very different sense - see numerous other posts about the Real Presence and what it means. It is also good to pray at all times and generally keep our lives focused on God even when we can’t be physically in his presence, but this is not on the same level as Adoration.

I realise you’ve already got the distinction, OP, and I don’t want to patronise you, but you never know who else might be reading in need of clarification.

Yes, here is an example. A military spouse or loved one is on duty away in another country. The spouses or loved ones may be able to communicate by family gram, letters, emails for some, or even just kept in thoughts and prayers. But it is not the same thing as being near in the same room with the one you love.

Thanks for the perspective Zab.

I want to take this 1 step further. Praying to Jesus when in the Monstrance vs tabernacle takes more effort. Jesus is not always on display. Making that effort to visit our King says something to Him about you.

I have been to Adoration on many ocassions and only 1 person, besides me, bothered to visit Jesus that hour. And so many churches are locked these days so you never know if you can even get in to start with. I simply encourage all of us to visit during Adoration as it seems many don’t bother.

God Bless

I can only speak for myself, but I feel MUCH closer to Jesus when I spend time in Adoration. When the Hosts are in the tabernacle, they’re hidden by the tabernacle doors and I can’t see anything.
I know God is with me whenever and wherever I pray, but it just feel so much closer when I’m sitting in church or a chapel with the Blessed Sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.