What's the difference in the eucharist?

Just a little context - I was just reading a thread where someone posed the question of why don’t protestants believe in the real presence of Christ in the eucharist if they believe in an omnipotent, omnipresent God.

That got me thinking - What is the difference between the real presence of Christ in the eucharist, and the omnipresent, ominpotent presence of God? Is Christ not omnipresent since he is one with God? Do Catholics not believe that God is omnipresent and instead only present through the mass?

I’m trying to reconcile these two concepts in my head and in a Catholic context. I would be very grateful to hear how other Catholics explain this.

God is omnipresent, but the manner (or mode) of His presence is not the same in all places and things. Otherwise, we could worship rocks, trees, animals, and one another on the argument that God is just as present in them and us as He is in Himself.

Jesus is present in the Eucharist in a special way, in a substantial way. He is present in the Eucharist in His very substance: Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

Read paragraph 1374 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

So would it be fair to say that although God’s presence is everywhere, he is more concentrated in the Eucharist than in other parts of creation? Or is it a different kind of presence altogether?

In the Sacrament of the Altar, God (the Son) is united to His sacred humanity.

Not more concentrated, but an actual change in substance. The bread and wine are changed into the Body and Blood of our Lord, however the appearance remains that of bread and wine. This is called transubstantiation in theological terms. The Presence is called the Real Presence, different from the ordinary presence of God being everywhere. God is really present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist. Does this help?

Still trying to get my head around this… So would it be fair to say that God’s presence is everywhere, but that Jesus’ humanity is not, until it is united with God’s divinity in the Eucharist?

the way I see it, God is everywhere spiritually… but we can’t say that Christ’s Body is physically present everywhere. His Body is only in Heaven… and in the Eucharist :slight_smile:

so the difference is …imagine you lived 2000 years ago, and you could either stay at home and pray to God, and God will hear you, or you can go and talk to Jesus who was on earth at that time. He’s still on earth, in the Tabernacle, in His risen Body. He’s only hidden by the appearance of bread.

God bless

I think Monica answered it prety well.

the Real Presence means that the bread and wine turns literally into the Body and Blood of Jesus, and contains all of this body, blood, soul and divinity within it

Catholic believe Jesus is omnipresent because He is God. but the difference in the Eucharist is that in the Eucharist, Christ is present in body, blood, soul and divinity.

God is omnipresent in His Divinity everywhere.

God is present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity within the Blessed Sacrament.

That’s an exellent explanation. Thanks heaps!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.