What's the difference?

At the church I will be attending for the next two weeks they have a communion mass and then a daily mass advertised. What is the difference between the two? Would they not have communion at the daily mass? They also have a separate time for morning prayer. How does that compare to mass?

Do they mean Communion service? That is when there is no priest present to celebrate Mass. A deacon or lay minister (the correct title is extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, or EMHC) presides over a short service and distributes Holy Communion. Holy Communion should be distributed at every Mass.

Morning prayer is probably Liturgy of the Hours, which all priests are required to pray. But it is a great devotion for anyone. It consists of psalms, canticles, and other scripture readings for the day. Here’s morning prayer for tomorrow morning:
universalis.com/20120604/lauds.htm

People who pray this daily have a book or books they follow. It’s a beautiful devotion if you have the chance to go. Even if you don’t have the book, it can be fruitful to go. I’ve attended when I didn’t have my book with me, and often a kind person will share their book with me so I can follow along. If not, you can listen. This can also be prayed alone, but it’s wise to learn from a group since it feels complicated at the beginning.

[quote="hannajomar, post:2, topic:286717"]
Do they mean Communion service? That is when there is no priest present to celebrate Mass. A deacon or lay minister (the correct title is extraordinary minister of Holy Communion, or EMHC) presides over a short service and distributes Holy Communion. Holy Communion should be distributed at every Mass.

[/quote]

Yes, I think you're right because at Mass today the father was explaining how he'd be gone during the week to a retreat for parish priests at the archdiocese. I am assuming since he'd be gone that someone else (the deacon?) will fill in.

[quote="hannajomar, post:2, topic:286717"]
Morning prayer is probably Liturgy of the Hours, which all priests are required to pray. But it is a great devotion for anyone. It consists of psalms, canticles, and other scripture readings for the day. Here's morning prayer for tomorrow morning:
universalis.com/20120604/lauds.htm

People who pray this daily have a book or books they follow. It's a beautiful devotion if you have the chance to go. Even if you don't have the book, it can be fruitful to go. I've attended when I didn't have my book with me, and often a kind person will share their book with me so I can follow along. If not, you can listen. This can also be prayed alone, but it's wise to learn from a group since it feels complicated at the beginning.

[/quote]

Sounds beautiful. I have been wanting to go to mass daily for the next few weeks but since the Father will be away, attending morning prayers might be a good alternative.

Thank you. :)

Sounds beautiful. I have been wanting to go to mass daily for the next few weeks but since the Father will be away, attending morning prayers might be a good alternative.

Our church always has extra books- when you get there, ask if they have an extra book you can use! Or, someone may share :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.