What's the general stance of Christians towards homosexuality?

There are many Priests who are openly homosexual.

A good friend of mine is Gay and I wouldn’t judge him.

Catholics believe that the inclination toward homosexuality or any sexual feelings are not sinful in themselves, but engaging in sexual activity outside legitimate marriage between one man and one woman is a serious sin. Plenty of threads on this matter. Did you do a search?

7 Likes

No , I wasn’t aware of a search on the forum thanks.

I’m surprised to hear thought are not excepted as sin.

Are you Catholic? If so, please educate yourself on what the Church teaches. See The Catechism of the Catholic Church.

3 Likes

A random thought flying into your head isn’t something you can control. You can, however, decide to dwell on it or not.

10 Likes

What do you mean, judge? Have an opinion? You can’t help but have an opinion.

I’m also curious, is there anybody you would “judge” (whatever you mean by the word)?

4 Likes

I would judge perverts.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church shows the Catholic stance:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2 Likes

A summary of the Church’s teaching:

1-Homosexuality in and of itself is not sinful, one is not guilty of any sin just for being homosexual.

2- Acting on homosexual inclinations, the same as acting on heterosexual inclinations outside of marriage, is a sin against chastity.

3- Homosexuals are not objectively evil, more sinful, or more prone to sinful behaviour than your average heterosexual Joe. The Church calls us to treat homosexual people with kindness and love (which is how you’re supposed to treat everyone) and not give them a hard time/ ostracize them/ mistreat them for being homosexual. Sadly, this is not always the case.

Unfortunately, some people like to scapegoat homosexuals or use them as an excuse in a sort of an “I’m sinful, but at least I’m not gay” sort of arrangement, which is not at all how the Church wishes people to view the matter.

4 Likes

Again, what do you mean by “judge”?

The “general stance” is that it’s disordered, and that people shouldn’t be encouraged to disorder.

Supposing we wanted to judge, most of us will not have witnessed the act or seen any first-hand evidence. If all you’ve got is second- or third-hand reports, even reports you might see on television or the internet, that’s nothing more than rumor and gossip, and you are not in a position to judge.

I think in general it is best to walk your own faith journey and not dwell on the faults of others.

1 Like

As an individual who happens to be gay and is a practicing Catholic I can tell you precisely what the Church’s position is on the matter. It’s clearly laid out in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC 2357 and 2358).

To simplify it without changing the meaning; people who are gay or who experience SSA are not sinful for being attracted to members of the same sex. We are all called to treat gay people/people with SSA with respect and dignity. The attraction is not a sin because it cannot be controlled, physical sexual acts are a sin because they fall outside the bounds of marriage.

The Church also strongly discourages therapies that claim to change orientation.

For more in depth info on the Church’s position I’d also recommend reading some of the encyclicals that were written specifically to address the topic and instruct clergy on how to approach people with SSA.

5 Likes

Mere thoughts too can be sins. Jesus said:

I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment . . . I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:22, 28)

Fr. Johann Evangelist Zollner’s 1883 article, “Unchaste Thoughts and Desires,” also explains how we can sin in our thoughts and desires, even if those thoughts and desires are never realized.

2 Likes

Intrusive thoughts and inclinations are not sins. Sitting around lustfully fantasizing of course can be, because that in itself is a deliberate act.

1 Like

Love the sinner. Hate the sin because it distances the person from God. And by the sin I mean the active homosexual lifestyle of sexual relations with someone of the same gender.

2 Likes

He didn’t ask that.

Catholics understand that we should be good neighbors. Christ taught us to love our neighbor and be good to them.

1 Like

I have never heard this and it does not make sense that the church would not want to help people. In what context is this? Where is this taught?

“I’m surprised to hear thought are not excepted as sin.”

That’s not what he said. He was talking about the predilection towards homosexuality, not day dreaming about sex in any form.

It isn’t a sin to have same-sex attraction, any more than it is a sin to be attracted to alcohol or drugs or to have a high temper. It IS a sin to engage in homosexual activity, to drive drunk, to use illegal drugs, or to punch someone’s lights out.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.