What's the Protestant view of the new pope, in view of "Left Behind" theology?

Hello all,

Several years ago, in my pre-Catholic days, I had heard talk of the end of the world being imminent upon the death of then-pope JPII. These were the same well-meaning but, I fear, misguided would-be mentors who also encouraged me to read the “Left Behind” series as a plausible end-of-the-world scenario, as well as books by Protestant authors such as Tim LaHaye. In the “Left Behind” series, our beloved JPII was succeeded by an American cardinal Matthews, who turned out to be a bad guy according to some special interpretation of Revelation (don’t ask me for chapter and verse, please). What are our Protestant brethren saying about Benedict XVI? Is there fear of what he might do (which there’s no reason to have, he’s the right man for the job), or are we seeing some of these end-times scenarios reconsidered (even better, debunked)? Also, is the rapture (according to premilleniallists) soon to be upon us? Is the Antichrist ready to assume his throne? I’d be interested to know what the buzz is.

Michael

All I know is that “Left Behind” got left behind a long time ago…

[quote=Milliardo]All I know is that “Left Behind” got left behind a long time ago…
[/quote]

:amen:

I can’t answer for all protestants, only myself, so here goes:

What are our Protestant brethren saying about Benedict XVI?

Yay. :smiley:

Is there fear of what he might do

No

Also, is the rapture (according to premilleniallists) soon to be upon us?

I dunno

Is the Antichrist ready to assume his throne?

I guess maybe. But the antichrist isn’t the pope for crying out loud. The Vicar of Christ can’t be the anti-christ, IMO.

Hehe…sorry for the short answers. But as far as the “buzz” I’ve heard that this will be the “last pope” before the end. I’m sure Prots are in an uproar about the Anti-Christ now. I’m not giving it much thought myself. Maybe I should…:hmmm:

A friend of mine once said, “Don’t get Left Behind… read the book.”

Tim Lahaye just tried to resurrect Darbyism 100 years after it died. He just made more money…

O+

[quote=psychemusic]Hello all,

Several years ago, in my pre-Catholic days, I had heard talk of the end of the world being imminent upon the death of then-pope JPII. These were the same well-meaning but, I fear, misguided would-be mentors who also encouraged me to read the “Left Behind” series as a plausible end-of-the-world scenario, as well as books by Protestant authors such as Tim LaHaye. In the “Left Behind” series, our beloved JPII was succeeded by an American cardinal Matthews, who turned out to be a bad guy according to some special interpretation of Revelation (don’t ask me for chapter and verse, please). What are our Protestant brethren saying about Benedict XVI? Is there fear of what he might do (which there’s no reason to have, he’s the right man for the job), or are we seeing some of these end-times scenarios reconsidered (even better, debunked)? Also, is the rapture (according to premilleniallists) soon to be upon us? Is the Antichrist ready to assume his throne? I’d be interested to know what the buzz is.

Michael
[/quote]

Greetings of Christ’s Love, Mercy and Peace to you Brother Michael!

I wish to clarify something, you do know fully well that the Catholic Church rejected the Rapture theology of these Protestants?

Peace, so be it.

OK, here goes…
1.What do I say about Benedict 16?? I think we all should pray for him! I like him. IMHO, anybody following JP2 has big, big shoes to fill. It looks to me like he just might have the stuff it takes to do it!
2.Am I afraid of what he may do? Ummm, no; why would I be??
3.Are endtime scenarios being rethought? In the end, Christians–Catholic & Protestant–win; I :smiley: like that ending! If we’re talking Left Behind, they are fiction, remember? (Besides, this is :slight_smile: Cardinal Ratzinger,as was, you guys have there, not :bigyikes: Andrew Greeley. Or worse.).
4.Well, nobody knows. That is the point. That’s why we all want to be sure we are ready. (The old Methodist line is that a pastor has to be able:) to “preach, pray, or die at a moment’s notice”)
5.There is probably someone in each generation who would love to take over the world. This is the spirit of antichrist. One of them, for sure, will be the last & the worst. Haven’t got a clue as to when; for sure, don’t know who. But it won’t be the pope–this one, or any one. It has to be a man who worships himself, not God. This would , like definitely, let the pope out…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.