What's the story of the widow about?

There’s a story in the bible about an old lady-I think a widow.
It says that she gave what little money she has while others gave their surplus and therefor she did better by God.
In reality though how could anyone apply this unless they has great faith?
Ie: if I’m financially struggling and give that with blind faith that God will look after me,then if He doesn’t…I’d be up the creek without a paddle so to speak.
Also,isn’t it imprudent or even naive and reckless to do this?

It might not necessarily be about money. Giving your last breath, or erg, or hour would fit the parable just as well.

Here is the story…From Luke 21
1He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury; 2and he saw a poor widow put in two copper coins.3And he said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; 4for they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all the living that she had.”

In reality though how could anyone apply this unless they has great faith?

They couldn’t

Ie: if I’m financially struggling and give that with blind faith that God will look after me,then if He doesn’t…I’d be up the creek without a paddle so to speak.

Two points here…

1. Faith should never be “blind”. Faith means trusting
  2. God will always look after you…Just maybe not in the way that you expect.

Also,isn’t it imprudent or even naive and reckless to do this?

It’s going to depend on your given situation, state of your faith etc.

Overall, I see this story as relating to the relative merit of a given gift using something of an extreme. Those who put in “out of their abundance” made no sacrifice. The widow who put in out of her need. She sacrificed, they did not.

Today we very often do the same. Very often we think, “How much should I give” to church or charity or whatever. We look at what we want first and only then decide how much we can afford to give to God.
How much better would it be if our attitude were, How much do I really need to keep and then give the rest away? What can I sacrifice in order to give more away (to Love my neighbor more)?

Just some thoughts…

Peace
James

One minor point:

“The widow” was alone. Had she had children, they would have been tending to her.

If you have family depending on you, your situation is not comparable to hers.

Roughly, this is an instance of someone giving it all, personally, for the love of God. Just as less than five years later, our LORD would give it all (His own body!) the same way.

ICXC NIKA.

Giving the last breath would be even harder…

ICXC NIKA

Thanks.
But who would have bought the widow food etc if she gave all she had?
Maybe God provided for her out of faith but many times it seems God doesn’t.
Eg:I have prayed and tried to believe and then God has ignored my prayers.
Some say that saying to others “God just said no”:rolleyes: but I don’t think that’s always correct.Thats just people assuming that you prayed for something selfish.
The bible states that God provides a home even for the animal etc so we should trust He would take care of us but in the real world I see that there are many homeless people and that God didn’t provide for them and I’m sure some of them would have prayed.
For me personally,how do you trust when your prayers have been let down before?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.