What's up with Friar Tuck hair cuts?

Why did the Franciscans have that bald on the top hair cut in earlier times?

Do they (or anyone) still practice it today?

I was told the capuchin monks have that bald spot and from that is where the term cappuccino came from.

[quote=bengeorge]Why did the Franciscans have that bald on the top hair cut in earlier times?

Do they (or anyone) still practice it today?
[/quote]

It’s called a tonsure and it is to set them apart - an outward symbol, like the habit, of their vows.

Try **this **link out.

The OFM’s that I met didn’t know of any Franciscan’s who sported the full tonsure. TIf I remember correctly they did mention that there is a Franciscan community that takes a symbolic snip of hair at vows.

I practice it today, but I’m not a monk… :frowning:

Pete

[quote=Pete2]I practice it today, but I’m not a monk… :frowning:

Pete
[/quote]

That makes two of us. As an Irishman, I always hoped my tonsure would be celtic, not roman.:frowning:

Of course you heard of the cannibals who were so sick? They sent for a witch doctor from the neighboring village. He couldn’t figure out what was wrong, so he said, “You have a lot of gastero-intestinal discomfort. What have you been eating?”

They said, “Just the usual – anyone we can catch, including that Catholic missionary a few days ago?”

“What Catholic missionary?”

“Oh, you know – a guy with a brown robe and the crown of his head shaved.”

And the witch doctor asked, “How did you cook him?”

“The usual way, broiled him.”

“YOU DUMMIES, that was a friar, not a broiler!”

[quote=vern humphrey]That makes two of us. As an Irishman, I always hoped my tonsure would be celtic, not roman.:frowning:

Of course you heard of the cannibals who were so sick? They sent for a witch doctor from the neighboring village. He couldn’t figure out what was wrong, so he said, “You have a lot of gastero-intestinal discomfort. What have you been eating?”

They said, “Just the usual – anyone we can catch, including that Catholic missionary a few days ago?”

“What Catholic missionary?”

“Oh, you know – a guy with a brown robe and the crown of his head shaved.”

And the witch doctor asked, “How did you cook him?”

“The usual way, broiled him.”

“YOU DUMMIES, that was a friar, not a broiler!”
[/quote]

Ba-dump CHA! Next show at 11, tip your waitress!!

[quote=epr1993]The OFM’s that I met didn’t know of any Franciscan’s who sported the full tonsure. TIf I remember correctly they did mention that there is a Franciscan community that takes a symbolic snip of hair at vows.
[/quote]

sighs The poor OFM don’t even know about their own order anymore.

There are still Franciscan communities who support the full tonsure. You just have to go outside the United States to find them.

The CFR and FPO in the united states also encourage their brothers to shave their heads, although it is not required, most of them do.

Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.