What's up with the mormons?

I have this mormon friend whom I met two years ago. When I met him I was curious about what they believed. I went online and informed myself, then I went with him and he told me it was a lie. Then I got to know that their meetings are open to everyone but what happens in the sanctuary is not. I looked for a video of a ceremony recorded with a secret camera and he told me I could go to Hell for that. Of course I didn’t believe him but I want to know what’s up with all that secrecy.

I don’t know about Hell, but I would respect Mormon traditions of privacy, just as I would expect others to respect Catholic beliefs. I’ve seen the same “secrecy” concerns raised about the ceremonies of the Knights of Columbus. I certainly wouldn’t seek out hidden videos.

Mormons believe that the temple ceremony is sacred, not secret.

And with the internet these days, this is true. One can find the temple ceremony online.

It’s masonic in origin to be honest. Nothing special if you ask me, a former Mormon who had gone thru the temple and went frequently when I was LDS.

Since Mormons dont believe in hell, no they would never claim anyone who watched the ceremony online would go to hell.

In their theology, even their “worse place” known as “outter darkness” will only have those who are Mormons and ended up sons as perdition.

Non-Mormons go either to the Terestial or Telestial kingdoms.
“Hell” is not part of their theology.

Well, I’d say a lot of that depends on the environment. For instance, in the Early Church the masses were held in secret, and only proven members were let in. This was done because it was illegal to hold a mass, and in order to ensure the safety of the mass-goers it was necessary to validate everyone who was invited.

On the other hand, in modern times you have groups like the Scientologists who jealously guard their “secrets.” They do this mainly to convince people tp pay their way through the levels so they can “learn all the secrets.” (They’re very gnostic in origin.)

As for the Mormons, I have my opinions, but I don’t have any real answer for you.

He told me that, though. IDK what to tell you but he said that. In other moment, I did a good deed, I can’t remember what is was, and he told me that I would go to the prison of souls instead of Hell. And yes, I know I should have respected their secrecy, it happened a while ago.

I can understand why a young Mormon would use the word “hell” when speaking with a non-Mormon. A non-Mormon would have no idea what is meant by either the Terestial or Telestial kingdoms

That being said, Mormon theology does not have a “hell” concept, other than outter darkness, and that is reserved for Mormons who end up as sons as perdition.

I understand that this will make little sense to you. Im just explaining what real Mormon theology on the concept of “hell” is. :slight_smile:

And what is their concept of “prison of souls”?

This is from BYU’s website on “spirit prison”.

“Another more far-reaching definition of “spirit prison” is hell. In this sense, spirit prison is a temporary abode in the spirit world of those who either were untaught and unrighteous, or were disobedient to the gospel while in mortal life (cf. Alma 40:11-14; D&C 138:32).”

eom.byu.edu/index.php/Spirit_Prison

(This would also go into the theology of "baptism for the dead. " ("Redeem the Dead) and the temple work that is done for the dead. It gets very involved and one would need to sit and study Mormonism to understand how very different Mormon theology is from traditional Christianity)

It reminds me of Purgatory, even though it’s not the same, the concept of a temporary state after death for the not perfect.

Yes, it does have the idea of a purgatory, doesnt it? :slight_smile:

But you are right. They are not the same.

Mormonism is a very different creature when it comes to its theology. It’s why many dont see it as being Christian.

It depends on who sees it. I’ve even said that to my friend, and yes, it was wrong, we are fine now. I’ve also heard people saying we aren’t christians because we kneel in front of images, because of the Crusades and a lot of things like the selling of indulgies.

Yes, you are right. I’ve been on the receiving end of that, both as a Mormon and as a Catholic.

On the internet is writen in multiple websites that the mormons believe in multiple gods, and that if you die you become one, and a lot of things that I would like to know if it it true that mormons believe that because my friend said they didn’t but even in a Catholic Answers video it is mentioned.

Mormon theology teaches that God (the Father) , was once a man and is now and exaulted man and a god.

That Jesus is his first spirit child, with all of us being his (the Father’s) spiritual children. That includes Lucifer. (So in that way, Jesus and Satan are brothers and we are their brothers and sisters)

The “Plan of Salvation” is where human beings seek the highest level in the Celestial Kingdom, thus becoming Gods and Godesses. Kings and Queens, Priests and Priestesses.

That is called Exhautation and, at least in what used to be Mormon theology, men and women, as couples, become gods and goddesses of their own planets and continue the process. They set up worlds, have spirit children.

So (at least what used to be Mormon theology) There is God the Father, and he had a Father, and so on back thru infinity.

Think of it as a big large eternally family, going not only forward in time and eternity, but backwards as well.

(the following is an accurate account of what was Mormon theology when I was LDS. It is fair to state that Mormon theology has been changing in the past couple of decades)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmology

(I have not read the following, but this is how the Mormon church now officially addresses the question)

lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng

IDK why he said I was lying then. Oh well, the past is the past.
So, what does their theology say about the first Father?

This is the current way the Mormon church officially speaks of exhaultation

Mormons often are unwilling to disclose their church’s true teachings to those outside their faith. This is because they are afraid that these beliefs will scare you away so that they won’t get the opportunity to “friendship” you - that is, to socialize you into their church. After you have been assimilated into the Mormon society, then you gradually learn the weird stuff. That is one reason why most converts to Mormonism leave within the first year.

This deception is one of the chief complaints against Mormonism, yet they keep doing it. I think it is so ingrained in Mormon culture that it is a natural reaction for them.

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

I would respect your friend’s desires.

There were places in the Jewish Temple that were sacred and no man went to. No man, save their Priests and Holy men.

At least according to Luke 1

9 According to the custom of the priestly office, it was his lot to offer incense, going into the temple of the Lord.

10 And all the multitude of the people was praying without, at the hour of incense.

11 And there appeared to him an angel of the Lord, standing on the right side of the alter of incense.

And where that place was is where an Angel appeared to Zechariah or Zachary, Father of John the Baptist.

8 And Zachary said to the angel: Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.

19 And the angel answering, said to him: I am Gabriel, who stand before God: and am sent to speak to thee, and to bring thee these good tidings.

20 And behold, thou shalt be dumb, and shalt not be able to speak until the day wherein these things shall come to pass, because thou hast not believed my words, which shall be fulfilled in their time.

And Zachary was struck dumb for questioning the angel. Seems like a good reason to respect the traditions of others.

Not saying one would be struck dumb, I would just respect others.

I know I should have respected them! I’m sorry, I think I even confessed it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.