What's with the 'three days' thing?

Jesus died at 3pm on Good Friday. He rose from the dead on Sunday morning. So he was dead for less than 2 full days. Why does it say 3 days everywhere then? Even Jesus said it - about how Jonah was in the whale for 3 days, and that was a sign of His death and resurrection.

If we count Christ’s Passion from the start of the Last Supper, it would exactly be three days: from the night of Thursday, to Friday night, to Saturday night. We must remember that for Judaism, the end of the day would be at dusk, or sunset, and after that would be another day. And if we take into account Christ already started dying, so to speak, with His Passion, then the count would exactly be three days before His Resurrection.

[quote=Milliardo]If we count Christ’s Passion from the start of the Last Supper, it would exactly be three days: from the night of Thursday, to Friday night, to Saturday night. We must remember that for Judaism, the end of the day would be at dusk, or sunset, and after that would be another day. And if we take into account Christ already started dying, so to speak, with His Passion, then the count would exactly be three days before His Resurrection.
[/quote]

This is far too complex, and, well, don’t bother with it. It takes too much mental gymnastics.

The simple answer is this: for the Jew, even the smallest part of a day was a “day,” so part of Friday, all of Saturday, part of Sunday. Three days.

You have to realize that no one says 72 hours. They only say 3 days: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We celebrate Easter Triduum which itself is less than 72 hours. Also, there’s no reason to define Jonah’s time in the whale as 72 hours. I would like to point out that several decades ago, a fisherman was rescued from a whale after about 24 hours. That means that Jonah’s story is physically possible, but is only realistic if you stick with the “short” three days.

I am very unsure about the three days myself. My gf goes to a church that believes in a Wednesday crucifixion and Saturday Resurrection, which is what I am exploring myself. The best description of the three days was given to me when I asked the same question. Here is the link: ecclesia.org/truth/3days-3nights.html

nate : this might help

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.