What's wrong with "Christian" music?

I am a huge fan of Christian rock. I noticed that a lot of people make a distinction between Catholic music and Christian (aka non-Catholic) music. I even get the impression that some people refuse to listen to Christian artists because they are not Catholic. Even though they may not be Catholic, their music is still about God. Why there is such a distinction between the two?

I just././.don't like90% of Christian music. The sounds just grates on me, even if the message is beautiful. There are exceptions though, of course

I think the only distinction would be that "Contemporary Christian" music most often refers to Evangelical Protestant music. The problem would be if their theology isn't quite in line with the RCC and comes thru in the lyrics or whatever.

In my humble opinion, Christian music of any sort is a BAJILLION times better than 95% of the secular music floating around these days, where the artists usually drench their songs in swearing, sex, drugs, darkness, and death wishes.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I have yet to discover any halfway good contemporary music by a practicing Catholic who actually talks about God. I've googled 'Best Catholic Music" and I was, unfortunately, not very impressed. And yes, tho the monks who do chant are admittedly pretty cool, I kinda like rock better for workouts and singing along with the windows down on the freeway :thumbsup:

My criteria: if the music brings me closer to God and inspires me, it gets a thumbs up. If not, I drop the iPod and back away slowly.

Hope this helps ;)

Whit, I'd highly reccomend Matt Maher. He is a Catholic artist who plays in the Christian rock genre. He's very inspirational and very true to the faith. His songs include a song about transubstansiation, a litany of the saints, and the usage of Latin. There is even a song that comes straight the Liturgy of the Hours (the Canticle of Zeceriah.) Have had the pleasure of seeing him perform twice glorifying God through music. He's definitely worth a try. :)

I think the issue is that a lot of people try to get the contemporary music into Mass, and so to hold them to standards to make sure the christian music the teens are hearing at events is Catholic, ensures that the tunes they might be humming can actually be used later… Plus there is always that danger of having wrong ideas being conveyed in songs that are subtly contrary to the faith.

Personally I cannot stand the contemporary music. Besides the silly lyrics on a few songs, it sounds bad if anybody but the pros try and sing it. Give me an old hymn any day and I’ll belt it out, but the modern stuff just seems spiritually shallow.

First of all, thank you for your responses. My argument for Christian rock is that it relates better to teens and young adults. I am 21 and I personally am not a huge fan of Church music. I think its beautiful in the context of the Mass, but it is not something that I would listen to outside of it. I like the sound of rock music and so do many people my age. The problem though is that secular rock music is full of bad messages. So we want something that keeps that rock sound, but promotes a good message. Unfortunately, there are not that many Catholic rock songs that I know of. I have listened to Matt Maher and I enjoy his music, but I prefer a harder rock sound. That’s why I listen to bands like Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, Pillar, Disciple, etc. Even though they are not Catholic (at least I don’t think they are), they still talk about God while having that hard rock sound that I enjoy. And I have yet to hear anything that is contrary to the teachings of Catholicism.

I think there are two types of practicing Catholics that don’t care for “Christian” music (specifically CCM):

[LIST=1]
*]those who want their music to be 100% Catholic and fear that Christian music is tainted with non-Catholic theology (sola scriptura, sola fides, the “rapture”, etc.)
*]those who think that Christian music is (generally speaking) an inferior knock-off of its secular counterparts (i.e. the instrumentalists and vocalists aren’t as competant, the lyrics are way cheesy, etc.)
[/LIST]

I would count myself in the latter group, but it seems you are asking more about the former group.

My guess is that some people might be afraid of entertainment that is even 1% off in terms of their worldview. On the other hand, some people might simply prefer their music to contain more than just “mere Christianity.” You won’t find songs about the Eucharist that aren’t written by Catholics, for example.

I’m a young adult, and while I know a few people my age who are into contemporary Christian music, I can’t stand it.

To me, it’s either too soft, or trying to be too mainstream with a hidden message - think Creed about 9 years ago.

I also really dislike when Masses for youth and young adults incorporate this stuff. Many, many people my age who attend Mass can’t stand it when overly-emotional, singy-songy Christian ballads are belted out, let alone other mushy hymns from the hymnal…

When I was in college, on Monday nights there was Eucharistic Adoration - that consisted of visiting seminarians strumming guitars and singing Christian rock songs during Exposition in the campus chapel. That was awkward.

The word “Christian” has been co-opted.

“Christian music” is really code for contemporary Evangelical Protestant music.

I often listen to Christian music in the car, because there is no Catholic station that I can pick up for about half of my commute. I listen to the lyrics pretty carefully (it’s easy-listening style, so the lyrics are usually quite clear), and I really can’t recall hearing anything inconsistent with Catholicism.

For what it is worth I am much older than 21 and listen to the christian rock station. I also listen to Catholic radio a lot but that is not music. I was raised by hippi parents so rock and roll has been around me my whole life. I was taken to concerts in a vw van from the time I was born. I can not listen to most secular rock because as you said the lyrics are bad for the soul so christian rock is my alternative. I must admit that sometimes a pearl jam or fugazi sometimes minor threat cd will find its way into my truck. :smiley: old habits die hard and its the music I listened to in high school and college.

One has to remember that Christian “rock” stations are probably playing 99% Protestant musicians. This exposure causes them to sell albums, books, concert tickets, etc. etc.

A large portion of this money is then turned around and given to the coffers of heretical Protestant sects that promote their garbage through their own ministries.

We can’t spread the truth if we’re helping to increase the ratings of Protestant musicians who then use the money Catholics help them make for ministries that teach contrary to Catholic doctrine.

Kind of like the Twilight series, right? The author is Mormon, 10% of everything she earns goes to Salt Lake City. The Catholic Church can’t help pull people away from Mormonism if Catholics are going to give millions of dollars to the Mormon Church to help their missionaries and t.v. commercials

These are the things we have to watch for and be ever-conscious of. The Devil disguises himself as an angel of light, right? “Fun, awsome, ‘spirit-filled’” praise music is one of his tricks.

Just ask yourself, where does the money go in the end? If the final destination is a heretical sect or a cult, the Catholic has to refrain from supporting it. To do otherwise is to cause scandal.

Yes, and the food I buy at the grocery store helps pay the wages of the cashier who gave some of her earnings to her daughter who went out and bought a pack of gum at the convenience store which paid the salary of the clerk who loaned $20 to his cousin who spent the money on “Twilight” of which some of the proceeds went to the author of which 10% went to the Mormon church.

“In the end”, all of our money eventually goes to someone who does things with it we probably would not approve of.

[quote="Joe_5859, post:13, topic:195294"]
Yes, and the food I buy at the grocery store helps pay the wages of the cashier who gave some of her earnings to her daughter who went out and bought a pack of gum at the convenience store which paid the salary of the clerk who loaned $20 to his cousin who spent the money on "Twilight" of which some of the proceeds went to the author of which 10% went to the Mormon church.

"In the end", all of our money eventually goes to someone who does things with it we probably would not approve of.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I don't understand why people only ever apply this philosophy to entertainment, not to any other products they buy. :shrug: If the guy that owns my local pet store is SDA, should I stop buying my cat food there? Should I ask everyone who owns every business I shop at what their religious affiliation is? And I better find out about the corporations that make all of the products I buy... Furthermore, I keep giving money to the government, and I"m seldom happy with what they do with it, either...

OP, since you like the hard stuff, you might like one of the few good Catholic bands I've found: Metatrone - a power/prog metal band from Italy. Check out the song The Rock:

myspace.com/metatrone

[quote="dnu, post:12, topic:195294"]
A large portion of this money is then turned around and given to the coffers of heretical Protestant sects that promote their garbage through their own ministries.

[/quote]

So much for being our brothers and sisters in Christ, huh?

Aside from the valid critiques of your theory given above, I'll also point out that, for some genres of music, there are virtually no Catholic options available. I listen to power/prog metal, which has a good number of excellent Christian bands, but only one Catholic band (that I have found). Under your theory, I'd have to basically give up music.

I would argue that there is a difference between giving ones money to, say, Wal-Mart who then pays a cashier who is a Mormon/Protestant/SDA/etc. and SPECIFICALLY giving your money to someone (i.e. a musician/author/etc.) you KNOW is a Protestant/etc. KNOWING that they will SPECIFICALLY give their funds to organizations and ministries that contradict Catholic teaching, or in many cases, SPECIFICALLY direct their minstries at “evangelizing” Catholics and pulling them from the Church.

We can’t help who Wal-Mart employs. Likewise, we can’t help to whom a Wal-Mart employee lends their money to, but we CAN help which SPECIFIC cd’s/books/concerts/t-shirts etc. we purchase/patronize/fund etc… That is the difference, and that difference is huge.

One is rendering unto Caesar, the other is giving that which is Holy unto dogs.

[quote="dnu, post:16, topic:195294"]
I would argue that there is a difference between giving ones money to, say, Wal-Mart who then pays a cashier who is a Mormon/Protestant/SDA/etc. and SPECIFICALLY giving your money to someone (i.e. a musician/author/etc.) you KNOW is a Protestant/etc. KNOWING that they will SPECIFICALLY give their funds to organizations and ministries that contradict Catholic teaching, or in many cases, SPECIFICALLY direct their minstries at "evangelizing" Catholics and pulling them from the Church.

We can't help who Wal-Mart employs. Likewise, we can't help to whom a Wal-Mart employee lends their money to, but we CAN help which SPECIFIC cd's/books/concerts/t-shirts etc. we purchase/patronize/fund etc.. That is the difference, and that difference is huge.

One is rendering unto Caesar, the other is giving that which is Holy unto dogs.

[/quote]

I would argue that you are wrong. Bill Gates is a big supporter of abortion rights. Are you running Windows on your computer right now? Many of the corporations that manufacture the products we all buy on a regular basis (toothpaste, laundry detergent, food, drinks, etc.) donate massive amounts of money to downright immoral things such as abortion, gay marriage, etc.. Is that better than a few dollars going to an artist who is going to give it to a Protestant ministry that feeds hungry people in third world countries? I don't think it is. Not all Protestant beliefs are "garbage" and comparing Protestants to "dogs" is really inappropriate (I know you're referencing the scripture where Jesus asked if he should give what belongs to the children to the dogs, but still...) A lot of Protestant groups do a lot of good things in the world, too. Their whole existence isn't just to pull people out of the Catholic Church.

Again, why should we only apply the rule of where our money ends up to entertainment?

Anyway someone could message me the name of afew Catholic pop bands?:slight_smile:

Unless a person/group is singing aboutsomething that goes against Catholic belief, then I don’t think there is anything morally wrong with Christian rock. That said, I personally cannot stand any of it. I have tried listening to the radio stations that have Christian rock a few times, and I have to change it within a few seconds. It annoys the snot out of me.
I also don’t think contemporary music belongs in mass, at all. I hate going to service and feeling like it’s more of a rock concert. I really wish they would bring more Gregorian chant back to mass. Now that music makes me feel closer to God.
There are secular rock bands (U2) that sometimes have a Christian undertone. Those I don’t mind, mainly because the artists themselves are very talented.

well let me put it this way. i’d rather listen to Christian music than death metal and rap and heavy metal. :smiley: i do prefer Catholic music. myself, i like the Gregorian Chant. for me, Catholic music is my personal preference. i love the Ave Maria that is for sure! its beautiful!
but listen to Christian music before you ever listen to rap, death metal, and heavy metal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.