What's wrong with "Christian" music?

But what if one listens to Christian rap, Christian death metal, or Christian heavy metal? :smiley: I have some of all of those in my collection.

Fortunately, Christian artists have taken the message of Christian evangelization to ALL music genres :thumbsup:

I don’t see that problem. In fact, in my country, the protestant church often sing catholic songs; but i dont think people use protestant song in a catholic church. Anyway, christian is used for both catholic and protestant. I dont find any reason not to listen to a nice music composed by a non-catholic musician.

The songs aren’t usually what bother me, but I’ve just had bad experiences with stattions pg sermons during primetime that have blatantly anti-Catholic messages.

I have, however, found a WONDERFUL station around here. It plays good Christian music that has a sound and flare RIGHT up my ally, and doesn’t air Protestant sermons or anything. I’ve even heard a few songs mentioning Mary and the saints. But the best part is, this station not only plays Christian music, but clean secular music. I was surprised to hear some of my favorite bands playing on there, songs I rock out to on my iPod on a regular basis!

There are some FABULOUS Catholic music artists out there. My favs are John Angotti (johnangotti.com/) and Steve Angrisano and Kathy Troccoli.

I do listen to Relevant Radio for the conversation, but when I want music, I turn to K-Love. Yes, it is an evangelical protestant station however, they do sometimes play music from Catholic artists (like Kathy Troccoli) – although Kathy’s bios typically just call her “Christian”

Most of the their music is positive and speaks of God, Jesus or Christian virtues. Sadly, they do at times play music that is not rooted in the Truth and even one that is a jab at Catholicism. It’s called “One True God” by Mark Harris and the opening line is “I don’t have a God I can put on a stand or a God I hold in the palm of my hand” – references back to Eucharistic Adoration with Christ in the monstrance and to reception of the Holy Eucharist in the palm of one’s hand. That song drives me nuts because it goes on with lyrics of “So I don’t need a man made deity when I got the real thing. . . . “ If only he did have the Real One! Our Protestant friends just don’t know what they are missing out on!!!

But check out John Angotti. He is awesome! :thumbsup: He does play for Sunday Masses at different parishes when he’s out travelling and he is so deeply grounded in the faith.

As Christians, more so Catholic Christians we are governed by love. At the end of the day really, inasmuch as we profess the fullness of the faith, Protestants are saved by the same Christ that we are …and most times they adore Him in just the same way that we do. I therefore think there to be nothing wrong with Christian contemporary music even if it be Prostestant. If it blatantly goes against our fundamental beliefs as Catholics then perhaps it may not be as edifying to us and provide confusion in our hearts …however my experience is that MOST Christian music is applicable to ALL Christians. If we’re going to claim that we shouldn’t listen to it just because we don’t want to ‘support’ Protestants, then I think we’ve missed the point of our Christianity- Love. If anything that we do, isn’t a direct result of love then we’re perhaps acting wrongly. This Christian journey upon which we have all embarked is about Jesus …let’s not get too Pharisee like. If the Holy Spirit speaks to a heart about not listening to a particular type of music then so be it. Otherwise …to not listen to music JUST because it’s sung by Protestants is quite discriminatory. Even Pope John Paul II when he attended a Benny Hinn service, worshiped alongside Prostestants. I don’t think he was at all unaware of the ill feelings that most Prostestants hold for Catholics- but I do know that he understood love and that it is bigger than everything else. He understood that they were people who loved the Lord and just like him (the Pope) were on the Lord’s side- To worship the same God with them would be harmless.

When i was a traditionalist it felt odd and have a secular feel to it. But of course I’m a Catholic Charistmatic now and I prefer Joyful songs of Praise and a "Touchy"message to my God.

As St. Augustine puts it “Singing is twice praying”. Well those Christian songs work for me. I may not be able to belt those traditional hymns, but I can surely shout “Jesus your my firm foundation, I know I can stand secure”:thumbsup:

If you check online, there are sites devoted specifically to Catholic Christian music. I’ve run across them before. It was amazing to see how many Catholic artists are out there that we’ve never heard of, since they can’t get play time on the big Christian rock stations. Also, on our local Catholic radio station, they do have one program (although it’s not much) that is devoted to music and discussion of such… you can check yours and see if you can request a show devoted to the genre you enjoy and see if they can do a little research on your behalf about available artists’ work.

As for me, I’ve had only a couple songs that I flip past due to the non-Catholic wording in the dozens of albums and hours of radio play I’ve listened to from evangelical Christian rock artists. Overall, it’s much better than the mainstream secular rock choices out there! And if I walk around thinking about God and acting in a more Godly way because of the music I’ve got going through my head, then I’m better off!

I’m willing to try out these Catholic artists as long as they don’t sound like the tackiest thing I have ever heard.

Like most contemporary Christian music. They just sound like pop-happy love ballads to Jesus. Ugh. barf

I do like Thousand-Foot-Krutch, though. Anything that’s more down-to-earth and soft/alternative rock is fine by me.

I’m not too picky on the message of a song… as long as it doesn’t hurt my ears and doesn’t condemn anyone, I’ll listen to it. Music doesn’t have that much of a moral effect on me.

I for one, was BROUGHT BACK TO GOD by Christian music, most of it protestant (Christ saved me through baptism and reconciliation, but my decision to accept his redeeming grace is largely related to the availability of the Protestant Christian music). I could not agree more with the fact that Catholics and Protestants are brothers and sisters in Christ, and I love them dearly, even if some of their theology is wrong. I’ll leave it at that.

In my hometown in the 1980’s (a very Catholic, very Catholic-education focused), “we” all listened to AC /DC and the like (I could go into hundreds of examples) and it was sending our souls to hell. I was introduced to contemporary Christian music, and my life turned around over time, while I was laughed at and mocked by my “Catholic” bretheren. So, before we get too prideful about our correct theology (which I completely believe that the Catholic church has as the one true faith), let us bow before God and thank him for his grace in our lives, which sometimes is allowed to work through the protestants, our Christian brothers and sisters. In time I believe, Catholics will “catch up” and flourish in the culture of the youth. Come Holy Spirit!!!

No, I don’t want the Mass to become a concert or overly emotional The Mass is holy, and profoundly sacred, not to be given to sentiment (though in some measure it is, i.e., the Alleluia is very joyful, and the Good Friday songs are very sorrowful). However, I don’t think that kids (or adults for that matter) should leave mass, which is just one hour of their week to spend the other 167 hours being converted to the popular culture. Thank God for all the Christian music.

Yeah, you have to be really careful with secular music. I don’t listen to much contemporary because it all sounds the same to me and pretty boring in most cases. But for bands like Red, Skillet, etc. I make exceptions. Because they sound good to me. I don’t like it when artists use cuss words because I feel it’s pretty unnecessary. And perverted/meaningless lyrics, etc. really don’t do it for me. Which is why I can’t stand most of today’s music. A few exceptions for me would be stuff like Coldplay and Linkin Park. Even those I get kinda bored of easily. I’m more of an 80’s person though, particularly Tears for Fears (all-time favorite). I think what drew me to them was their unique sound and meaningful songs. But I’m rambling…
Mostly with music, I’m critical of just voice and sound. I don’t like female vocalists much, I think males sound soooo much more unique. Which is why I enjoy bands like Aerosmith, Culture Club, etc. Can they be trashy? Yes, but I hear talent in their sound and I can nearly all the time genuinely find a message that isn’t shallow.

I also love the music of these people. Steve Angrisano has been the MC at the National Catholic Youth Conference several times, the last two which my daughter attended. His music is deeply spiritual and theologically sound, and he has a way with words that changes lives. Listen to “Live: Songs from the Road.” John Angotti was artist in residence in my mother’s parish one week a month for two years. His rapport with all generations and the variety of his musical styles are phenomenal. I don’t know as much about Kathy Troccoli, but the music I’ve heard is great.

Another artist to check out: Jesse Manibusan. He was also one of the NCYC MCs in November. Anyone who can get 20,000 teens singing and praying together has my vote!

I am 53 years old and I listen to K-Love Radio every day and have done so for years. I am very much a Catholic and will die a Catholic. I have yet to hear anything negative said about any religion on this radio station, the focus is always on God and our fellow man and how we should live in love for one another. Why does it always have to be a Catholic or Non-Catholic thing. Christian means Christlike and my Protestant friends have only made me a stronger Catholic because I recognize the blessings that I have received being brought up a Catholic. I realize that we Catholics have what no other faith has through the Eucharist, but I have to say that they have us beat when it comes to music. There are certain masses that I will avoid going to because of the music. The music is beautiful on K-Love and I love driving with my windows down and singing God’s praises through the songs. It’s also very satisfying to hear my 3 yr old granddaughter singing her heart out in the back seat and not having to worry about what will come out of her mouth. I will support this station as long as they are on the air. The support of K-Love is as necessary as my support of my parish church and my grocery and utility bill.

I listen to Christian music even though it does not always reflect my theological beliefs 100%…or even 75% sometimes…but I do find the music filled with hope and joy…sometimes it is very profound in it’s message. It does nominally reflect Evangelical Christianity…but some of it…much of it…cuts across the denominational boundaries we put on ourselves…I try to find the wheat among the chaff.

In his thought-provoking book The Triumph of Vulgarity, Professor Pattison makes a powerful argument that Rock “music” across the board is pantheism, pure and simple (and this guy’s a secularist who revels in Rock!). Somewhat in the vein of McCluhan’s “the medium is the message,” Pattison insightfully claims that Rock cannot be coupled with traditional Christian truth, because the “music” basically swallows up the message. For me, it’s like a modern variation of the dancing around the Golden Calf.

:rotfl::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

In my early 20’s, when I first started regularly attending worship services, we used songs by the St. Louis Jesuits a lot: they basically put Scripture to music using folk guitars. Now, ***that ***does not jar the soul or the ears, nor is it an affront to God’s holiness.

(For some really incisive writing on this topic, go here and here.)

I just don’t buy that. I’ve heard from lots of atheistic/anti-religious fans of rock (heavy metal in particular) who are actually offended by Christian metal. They also claim that metal simply can’t be Christian. But their opinion is really only a reflection of their previously held beliefs. It’s akin to a child being possessive of his toys: “You can’t play with my toys; go find something else to play with!” They think that the genre of music belongs to them. It doesn’t.

There are several great Christian metal bands that I enjoy, along with many more bands who, although not explicitly Christian, at least write positive and uplifting lyrics and music. I don’t think the message gets swallowed up by the medium at all. At least, it never has for me. :shrug:

I’ve always been very unsure of Christian metal…
Music should always glorify God. How does yelling into a microphone do that?:confused: I’ll give the guy some props–it takes talent to do that–but I think metal has marred the name of music. Maybe it’s because I’m a woman and 99% of all women despise that stuff. :smiley:

If comparing music to conversation, metal would be the person who just wants to hear himself talk. Not worth hearing what he has to say. :twocents:

Well, not all metal involves “yelling into a microphone.” Only some of it. :smiley:

The prevalent stereotype of metal music is the singer angrily yelling (or growling) with everyone else banging on their instruments as loud and as fast as they can. If that’s what a band is doing, then I agree: that’s not music. There are bands out there that do that, but those are the ones I do not listen to. Melody is sort of an important component to music.

My two favorite Christian metal bands are Theocracy and Saviour Machine. Both vocalists are at opposite ends of the spectrum (one sings pretty high, the other sings pretty low), but neither growl.

Nonetheless, I understand that it’s certainly not everyone’s cup of tea. My wife would agree with you 100%, BTW. :stuck_out_tongue:

HI I love Christian Rock, oldies, classical music and secular heavy metal. I think music of all kinds is meant to lift the spirit and inspire. I don’t like cuss words used in any music and I bought the cleaned up version of Rob Zombie because I like his music.

There is some really great talent in Christian Rock and if the message is about Jesus who cares if it isn’t Catholic per se there is nothing offensive about it.

Enjoy it and don’t worry about it. It is a great alternative and addition to anyone’s listening.:smiley:

The first word that comes to mind when I think of metal (Christian or otherwise) is “dark.” It didn’t help that your band’s pages were black either. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe I just wish everything was sunshine and roses, I don’t know. My teenage brothers are into this sort of thing (and although you are a man who uses reason and probably have a good Catholic head on your shoulders, I know my brothers are still impressionable). Can metal feed the soul or feed the fire at their age? I keep thinking of them more than anything, so I guess I’m more concerned with people listening to it [metal] at that age rather than the type of music in general. :o

That’s a fair concern. I grew up listening to that sort of music, but I’ve always been pretty mellow to begin with, so it never really had that effect on me. Perhaps grace prevented me from ever taking the metal image that seriously.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.