What's wrong with wearing make-up?

Hi dympnha and damascus!

I have asked friends regarding my make-up and they said that it was ok and that it fitted me.

I prefer the half-way between make-up and no-make-up- look, just like how people who go to offices wear it–you know they are wearing it, but take pains that it doesn’t look garrish. Then again, what is too little or too much make-up depends on the perceiver.

My thoughts is that if it were true that she thought that it was too much, then calling my attention to it in front of an audience wasn’t a Christian thing to do.

Anyway, am trying to believe that such is not the case and I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I really found damuscus’ reply so funny. Whoever Ann Landers was, she must be a pretty witty lady to have said that. :slight_smile:

Thanks both, for your concern. :slight_smile:

After reading what your supervisor said and did a few times as I came across it reading the thread, I got a creepy feeling, creepier and creepier. She is messing with you in my opinion. If she had meant to compliment you, you would have felt o.k. about it. Trust your feelings. I wouldn’t have known how to respond in that situation either except to say “Maybe it’s Maybeline” or something like that. Of course, it’s easy to think of even that since I’m not in the situation. She kind of had you wondering what she was getting at, I think. She caught you off guard and embarrased you, and when people do that to me, my brain freezes up. To me, it’s shocking that people act the way they do and I find myself just trying to figure out their motives.

If she does something like this again try staring her down if you don’t have a quick comeback. Not in a malignant way, but in a “knock it off, I know what you’re up to” kind of way. Or you can say “I don’t want to discuss that.”

If she didn’t mean to bully you she probably won’t do anything like that again. That’s how you’ll know. I’m curious to know how she is towards you in the future. For now, I would steer as far from her as possible.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about your makeup. I don’t think this is about makeup, if you catch my drift.

crystal

If people notice your makeup it means that you are quite possibly wearing a bit too much.

Maybe she’s just very pretty and people like to look at her. :wink:

Myself, I love to make myself up to look nice. I’ve been sick a lot lately and now that I’m feeling better, I want to look nice for my sainted husband when we comes home from work. He’s been so kind and sweet and helpful through all this–I feel I owe it to him to give him a halfway-pretty wife to look at when he gets home after a long day.

Hi Crystal!

Thanks for replying to my post and taking time to give me advise. :slight_smile:

Its so hard to decide how to react when I’m left wondering if there was a definite insult thown at me or not. There are times it is said so subtly, you only realize that you’ve just been insulted, only as an afterthought.

Then again, there are times I see insult when none existed in the first place.

I am hoping that I would be able to react in the proper, Christian manner, especially when there is doubt as to the motive of people.

Thank you very much for helping me. :slight_smile:

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you’ve been ill, Sandi, but am glad that you are feeling better.:slight_smile:

Personally, I think if we make the effort to look nice, we become happier in our outlook in life. Don’t we all feel crummier if we feel crummy already and still look the part?

Glad to hear that you’ve recovered enough to take an interest in pretty-ing yourself up. I think we women (in any part of the world) , like to make ourselves feel good and others as well when they look at us—I think this is a good thing.

Glad to know you have a supportive, loving husband. I think, he’s also lucky to have a wife like you who loves him enough to want to make him happy by looking your best.

Besides, there is no such thing as half-way pretty. Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder, and what is more beautiful is inner beauty rather than outer beauty. :slight_smile:

Gee, I **wish **this is true! :smiley: I must admit make-up does help me, sometimes.

I’ve had my share of being unnoticed, as everyone else. Example: There was a time I liked a guy so much I wanted to get his attention. When I saw him about to enter the office I happily opened the door for him, hoping he and his equally handsome friend would notice me—but noooo…! He looked pass me as if I was invisible (like air) and only had eyes for my bestfriend whom he and his friend asked to go out on a date with! It was as if I wasn’t even there!

I just try to be presentable as much as I can. I don’t want the patients to get scared and run away from me when they see me. :smiley:

Thanks for your kind reply, Sandi. Get well soon! :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Some people possibly need to understand the Filipino culture a bit.

From what I know, being married into a large Filipino family, perception is everything. Eugenia isn’t wrong to be sensitive in this way, because some Filipinos, especially instructors, do try to keep students under thumb.

Eugenia, I know of several nursing schools in the Philippines, and was wondering which you were attending?

Hi there,
I have never worn make-up in my life (except of course when I acted once on stage and we had to exaggerate our facial features so that others back stage could see us) and I don’t wear it because I think I am beautiful the way that I am, and that I don’t need a mask to cover my beautiful pores, bumps, and craters; I think they are all beautiful. Oh and guess what, I am probably not the best rose in the bush in terms of the way the world sees beauty.

I grew up with a mother who didn’t wear make-up, who was not insecure and was darn confident. These are the type of qualities that I think need to be taught to the younger generation. (People who wear make-up, don’t be upset; this is the truth. You’re beautiful regardless)

If they always see people covering up “imperfections” they will grow up to be very insecure.
As St. John Chrysostom wrote addressing women:

“Do you wish to adorn thy face? Do so not with pearls, but with modesty, and dignity. So thy countenance will be more full of grace in the eyes of thy husband.”

“Adorn thy face then with modesty, dignity, pity, lovingkindness, charity, affection for thy husband, forbearance, meekness, endurance of ill.”

-unworthy

Hi bankerdavid!

Thanks for your reply.

Being married to a Filipina makes you an honorary Filipino in my book. :smiley: Glad that you are a kababayan.

Anyway, I think you understand our way of thinking well. Going back to school (after years of working) is like de ja vu for me.

I was able to finish my duty in that department last week. I gave the instructor a wide berth everytime she came near me. I’m glad I avoided further problems with her. :slight_smile:

BTW, I study in a non-Catholic Nursing school in the University belt here in Manila. :slight_smile:

Hi unworthy!

The professor told us to wear make-up because, in her words, “You should not look paler than your patients.” Truth is, I see her wisdom here, as I don’t look my best when when I wake up in the morning. He…He… :smiley:

Ok, seriously, I wear make-up at work and in school to look more professional. But, I can live without it.

I like what you said: You’re beautiful regardless (of make-up).

I think that inside beauty (spiritual) is far more important than external beauty, though it doesn’t hurt if I try to have a more presentable exterior to the outside world as it does have an effect in the people I encounter in my work.

Thank you for you nice reply. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.