What's your favorite part of the bible?

I’m quite new to Catholicism and I have reached the point where I want to get my teeth into some scripture for myself.

I have exhausted the Internet of “easy guides” and “tips” to being Catholic - I now feel I want to discover things for myself. So before I tackle the bible from start to finish I thought I would ask if anyone has any recommendations as to powerful sections that you were able to take a lot from when you were at the start of your journey.

Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks, Michael

1 Corinthians 12

. . . .but that’s just me.

Yes** I Cor 12** is an excellent suggestion. But I always believe we should start with Mark’s Gospel (the shortest). It is a “bare bones” presentation of the life of Jesus. And you can easily read it in a day. And it allows you to build on as you read further.

From when Our Lord was born onwards…

The book of John.

Ephesians, definitely.

Luke. The Gospel of Compassion.

Followed closely by the Psalms. The musical part of the Bible… :wink:

Psalms, Proverbs, Letters of Paul, Jesus’ genealogy.

I like the part between Genesis 1:1 and Revelation 22:21:D

The parables about redemption, the Prodigal Son being My most favorite followed closely by the parable of the Lost Sheep.

I like Psalm 2, 51, The beginning of gospel of John.
I wish I read the Bible more often

Proverbs because there is a lot of practical wisdom…but actually Revelation 21:12 -14 where Jesus says He is coming to take us to heaven.

The Psalms & John’s Gospel.

All the Gospels, I’d recommend Mark to start, but all of the Gospels are awesome and understanding them is necessary for a Christian to have a firm handle on their faith. The Old Testament points to Jesus in many ways and is excellent, and the letters of the New Testament are very pastoral to Body of Christ, also excellent. But the Gospels help you do know Who Jesus is, what He did, what He said, and especially helps you to know the significance of His Sacrifice on the Cross in a deeper way.

The Understanding the Scriptures Podcast is composed of 30 episodes with each episode having a length between 72 and 80 minutes.

catholicboard.com/

I am thinking of listening to it again after a few years.

This podcasts opened up the bible for me. I finally see it as a whole and makes sense.

John 2:1-12, hands down.

John 14: 18
Chapter 6, Gospel of John.
John 3: 16-17

Currently, I favor the powerful, simply amazing, first three chapters of Genesis because the essence of Catholicism begins there. Genesis 1: 27, Genesis 3: 15

John 15:9 “As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Remain in My love”

John 15:7 “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you”

Matthew 11:29

Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls.

Wnen you read the Bible it opens again and again in new ways. I go back to studying the Bible by studying a foreign language.
In my current reading from the Gospel of John, almost in every chapter I found extremely valuable verses.
Therefore, may be even to fix certain verses by marker is not always expedient.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.