What's Your Favorite Post-Communion Prayer?

I’ve recently started to expand the prayers I say immediately after returning to my pew post-communion to deepen my reflection on the reality of the All Holy One dwelling literally and physically in me at that moment. (If interested you can read about my TOP FIVE PRAYERS TO SAY AFTER COMMUNION here)

I’m always interested in discovering new prayers, which one(s) do you find to be the most helpful?

On a side note, do you find the music your parish chooses for communion to be distracting or helpful to you? When I attend the “Latin Mass” I find the chant and polyphony to be greatly helpful, but when I attend our normal parish I tend to find the songs very distracting. That’s just me though, I’m sure others might feel quite differently.

Anima Christi, hands down, no contest.

. . . and I responded before I opened your link, and lo and behold, there it is at #2.

I usually say my own prayers, whatever God inspires me to say, or spend the moment in contemplation, such as the man replied to the Cure of Ars- “I look at Him, and He looks at me.”
If I am feeling dry and arid, then I try to remember the anima Christi. I like your blog! :slight_smile:

Which version do you prefer? The Latin? Newman’s translation? The other translation? I’m a big fan of Card Newman’s translation, I find it to be more poetic.

The “other”, this one:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Separated from Thee let me never be
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
Forever and ever
Amen

The Newman translation is very nice and the rhyming pattern is lovely but just isn’t the one I grew up with. Comfort in the familiar, especially right after communion.

I most appreciate the prayer by St. Thomas Aquinas that starts, “I give thanks to you, Lord, holy Father…”

I find myself echoing the words of the good thief, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

:thumbsup:

Thanks. I like that prayer too, I often think of it when I go to adoration.

*These are three of my favorite from among the traditional Byzantine Prayers of Thanksgiving after Communion.

Prayer of St. Basil the Great:
Lord Christ our God, King of the ages and Creator of all, I thank you for all the blessings you have granted me and for the communion of your pure and life-giving Mysteries. Good Lord and Lover of all I pray you to keep me safe under your protection and within the shadow of your wings. Grant that until the end of my days I may worthily partake of your holy Gifts with a clear conscience, for the forgiveness of my sins and for life eternal. You are the Bread of Life, the Source of Holiness, the Giver of all that is good, and to you we send up the glory, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Prayer of St. Symeon the Translator:
You give me willingly your Flesh for food, you are fire, burning the unworthy, do not burn me, O my Creator, but enter into me for my salvation, into my members, all my joints, my affections, and my heart. Burn up the thorns of all my sins. Purify my soul, sanctify my mind; strengthen my joints and bones; illumine my senses. Nail down the whole of me with the fear of you. Ever protect, guard, and keep me from any soul-destroying word and act. Sanctify, purify, attune, and rule me. Adorn me, give me understanding and illumination. Make me the house of your Spirit, and no longer a habitation of sin. By virtue of this communion you dwell within me: Make every evil spirit and passion flee from me like fire. As my intercessors before you, I name all the Saints, the Commanders of the Bodiless Hosts, your Forerunner, the wise Apostles, and your all-pure Mother. Receive their prayers, my compassionate Christ. And make your servant to be a child of light. For you alone are our sanctification, O Good One, you alone are the illumination of our souls, and as is right we give to you as our Lord and God glory at all times.

Prayer IV:
Lord Jesus Christ our God may your Holy Body be eternal life for me. May your Precious Blood be the forgiveness of my sins. May this Eucharist be joy, health, and gladness for me. And, through the intercessions of your holy and most pure Mother and of all your Saints, at your glorious return make this sinner worthy to stand at the right hand of your glory. Amen.

I’ve never encountered any of those before. Very nice! Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Me, too!!! :slight_smile:

Padre Pio’s Stay With Me, Lord

My favorite prayer is from an old, very traditional devotional which I purchased at a used bookstore. It was produced by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood, around 1929. It’s long, but incredibly moving. (I’ve updated the world population it provides towards the end). Here it is:

What Shall I Give Thee?

I have received into my heart, Jesus Christ, His Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity! I begin this day, as a day in Heaven. He is in my soul, the Divine Infant in the crib, the growing Boy at Nazareth, the Apostle acclaimed by crowds on the roads of Galilee, the Miracle-Worker Who performed such prodigies, the Martyr Who completed His Sacrifice on Calvary.

He is in me. What more can I desire when I possess Jesus?

And now, O Good Master! What shall I give thee in exchange for Thy visit… ?

I would like to give Thee a soul all sparkling with purity and sincerity, but mine is afflicted with so many miseries!

I would like to pray to Thee with the burning words of the seraphim, but I feel riveted to earthly things…

I would like to offer Thee strong, sweet, delicate virtues, but I can find so little in me…

I would like to bring Thee a humble, courageous, generous heart, made to the Image of Thy Divine Heart, but mine has been hardened by pride, cowardice, and selfishness…

I would like, at least, to have a desire for holiness, but I allow myself to be discouraged by my failures…

O good Jesus! I have nothing to give Thee, and Thou hast given Everything; Thou hast given Thyself to me. I can only join my poor voice in the chorus of praise to Thee, rising out of all the works of Thy Creation here on earth…

With the majesty of the mountains, the immensity of the desert, the roar of the ocean, the fury of the storm, I shall praise Thy Power!

With the flowers of the field, the colors of the rainbow, the whiteness of the snow, the blue of the skies, I shall praise Thy Beauty!

With the fruits of the earth, the air I breathe, the light I see, the life I enjoy, I shall praise Thy Goodness!

With the splendor of the stars, the rays of the sun, the moon’s pale light, the depths of space, I shall praise Thy Immensity!

With seven thousand millions now living on earth, I shall praise Thy Mercy! May our voices unite with the billions of those who inhabited the earth before us, and out of whose dust the beauty of Nature arises to praise Thy Glory!

May an infinite concert of voices from cottages and palaces, from fields and forests, from towns and deserts, from workshops and cathedrals, from earth and from Heaven, from time unto eternity, arise to give thanks unto Thee! Amen.

My Queen! My Mother! I give thee all myself, and, to show my devotion to thee, I consecrate to thee this day, my eyes, ears, mouth, heart, my entire self. Wherefore, O good Mother, since I am thine own, keep me, defend me, as thy property and possession. Amen.

My favourite is the ‘Stay with me Lord’ by Padre Pio, but because I cannot remember the full prayer I usually ad lib. The Anima Christi is too beautiful, but I changed the ‘me to him’ and our family say this prayer daily for our priests.

I use numbers 2 and 3 from the linked list.

I’m mostly pretty neutral on the music…

Peace
James

I LOVE the prayer of Self-Dedication to Jesus by St. Ignatius of Loloya…

Lord Jesus Christ, take all my freedom, my memory, my understanding, and my will. All that I have and cherish you have given me. I surrender it all to be guided by your will. Your grace and your love are wealth enough for me. Give me these, Lord Jesus, and I ask for nothing more.

As well as the Amina Christi, as some already said before. I some instances just give a prayer of thanksgiving as well.

Good stuff, guys and gals! :gopray:

Prayer of Our Venerable Father John Damascene

God, my God, all-consuming invisible fire, you make your angels flaming fire. In your inexpressible love, you have condescended to give me your divine flesh. You have allowed me to partake of your divinity by possessing your most pure body and precious blood. May they penetrate my entire body and spirit and all my bones. May they burn away my sins, enlighten my soul, and brighten my understanding. May they sanctify me, making a dwelling-place in me so that I too may be in you forever, with your blessed Father, and your all-holy Spirit, through the prayers of your most pure Mother and of all your saints. Amen.

Prayer of Our Holy Father Basil the Great

Lord my God, I thank you; for you have not rejected me, a sinner, but have made me worthy to be a partaker of your holy mysteries. I thank you for allowing me, unworthy as I am, to be a partaker of your most pure and heavenly gifts. O Lord who love us all, you died and rose for our sake; and you have given us these awesome and life-creating mysteries for the benefit and sanctification of our souls and bodies. Grant that they may bring about the healing of my soul and body; the defeat of every enemy; the enlightenment of the eyes of my heart; the calming of my thoughts and emotions; a faith that cannot be confounded; a love that does not pretend; a wisdom that overflows; the full observance of your commandments; the increase of your divine grace; and citizenship in your kingdom. Being preserved in your holiness by them, I will remember your love at all times. I will live no longer for myself, but for you, my Lord and Benefactor. Thus, having spent my earthly life in the hope of life without end, I will attain eternal rest where the sound of rejoicing never ceases, where the delight of those who gaze upon the beauty of your face cannot be expressed.

For you, Christ our God, are our true desire, and the inexpressible joy of those who love you; and all creation glorifies you forever. Amen.

Thank you for adding the other two Byzantine prayers. I only added my three favorites.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.