What's your favourite song and why?

What’s your favourite song and why?

My own favourite song of all time is** Come What May** by Vicky Leandros. I still love it to this very day. It could just as easily be a song to God as to another individual, just listen to the words. Unfortunately some YouTube versions fade before the end which is a pity for this particular song. The best recording I’ve found on YouTube which doesn’t fade is the following.

Vicky Leandros - Come what may.avi

2 Cor 13:13
Eddy Barry

Ooh… Great thread!

Hard to answer. “Big Log” by Robert Plant. “Solsbury Hill” by Peter Gabriel. “Absolute Beginners” by David Bowie… I can’t pick!

Love the music.

As for songs I love because of the lyrics, “Perfect” by P!nk is the top. Not my kind of music but that song helps me get by and I thank her for it.

I am fan of this song as well – at least the version they play on the radio. The the title of the song on the cd is F’ing Perfect.

I love the song “Tin Angel,” composed and sung by Joni Mitchell. The poetry, the music, the emotion, and the guitar playing are all wonderful, and it is both sad and hopeful at the same time.

I love folk music. For the past five months or so my favourite song has been The Mero by The Dubliners, what does it for me is it is a song from another culture, (potentially) saturated in Catholicism. I’m not Irish, although my ancestry is Dutch-Irish, so I don’t understand all the song, but I enjoy the honesty. Probably my all-time favourite song is Johnny Cash’s Big River. I like the metaphorical nature of the song, it’s very philisophical without being ostentatious or obnoxious or anything like that. The notion of search in Big River is touching.

“Hey Jude” is a personal favorite due to the spiritual message in it… “Starting Over” by John Lennon was released about the same time my oldest child was born, so I am partial to it also.

DGB

“Don’t Worry Baby” by the Beach Boys has been a long-time favorite of mine. Also I love “Let it Be” by the Beatles. (When I was a child and listened to it, I thought “Mother Mary” refered to the Blessed Virgin.)

‘Run’ by Snow Patrol. It’s just such a haunting song.

‘Hurt’ by Nine Inch Nails. It’s a very personal song to me.

“Live Forever” by Billy Joe Shaver.

This is a tough one… I have TONS of favorites, but since this one song only, a random #1 would have to be Start the Machine by Angels and Airwaves. I really couldn’t give a definitive interpretation of it, but its just very surreal, not too lazy or energetic, and the lyrics are pleasant.

Right now, I guess it would have to be The Lengths by The Black Keys. I find the lyrics very emotionally stirring and the song speaks to certain parts of my life in ways that are easy to relate to.

“There She Goes” by The La’s (aka that song they played in The Parent Trap when Hallie travels through London). That song always seems to fit just about any mood even though it’s got a cheerful overtone :slight_smile: And that jangly guitar is just amazing :smiley:

‘Tomorrow is Today’ by Billy Joel. It was based off of the note he left when he attempted suicide. That song got me through the worst period of my life.

‘My Life’ also by Billy Joel. It expresses how I feel at my best.

‘God Only Knows’ by the Beach Boys

‘Foresaken’ by Divinity Destroyed

Everything my fiance writes.

Right now it’s probably ‘Cosmic Love’ by Florence and the Machine or ‘Take a Little Hand’ by Yoko Kanno

My favorite song of all time and one which ALWAYS cheers me up is called Lady in Black by Uriah Heep. I prefer the Gregorian cover to the original but its still very good. Its not because its catchy; it just reminds me so much of the Blessed Virgin Mary and what makes Her so great. It makes me realize that without Her, we are truly nothing, that without Her help, we act like animals not human beings. The original is here: youtube.com/watch?v=hHDZ5rYiMz0&feature=related The Gregorian cover is here: youtube.com/watch?v=zXhD6aVq7eI. I honest to God and Mary cried the first time I heard it as all my doubts regarding the Blessed Mother disappeared :).

Sorry for cheating but another song that I really like is Cruel Angel’s Thesis from the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion (warning: graphic violence, some nudity and disturbing images present: youtube.com/watch?v=POwv7B1FdS0. I also reminds me a lot of the Blessed Virgin Mary with it’s lyrics as it makes me think of her going out to save us from the devil and his temptations. A very, very good fandub can be found here: youtube.com/watch?v=C5cz0V18_7s

I do have non-Christian/Catholics songs that I enjoy but so far, ** Litany of the Saints** trumps them all.

youtube.com/watch?v=KiM9uJIN64g

OMG, 6,000+ songs in my collection, plus 500 CD’s I don’t even listen to anymore…

1. “Wolf Like Me” =TV on the Radio
  2. “Out of the Blue” -Mars&Mystre
  3. “S.O.S.” -Abba
  4. “The Golden Mile” -The Babys
  5. “Halo” - Beyonce
  6. “Alone” - Big Country
  7. “Come Back to Me” -Big Country
  8. “X-Offender” -Blondie
  9. “Gypsies, Tramps. & Thieves” -Cher
  10. “Three Little Birdies Down Beat” -The Chemical Brothers
  11. “Don’t Feel the Same” -Chimera
  12. “Up In Heaven” -The Clash
  13. “Tomorrow, Wendy” -Concrete Blonde
  14. “Unlucky Friend” -Dig
  15. “Amphetamine” -Everclear
  16. “Summerland” -Everclear
  17. “Moldavia” -Front 242
  18. “Slapped Actress” -The Hold Steady
  19. “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” -Joan Baez
  20. “Smile Like You Mean It” -The Killers

…This question short-circuited my brain. I can’t even get it down to a top 100. These twenty tied for first (I know, I know, that’s not allowed in the contest), and left out the other 80 tied for first. I like music way too much:)
Why? umm… They sound great!

And how could I possibly leave out:

“Inspection Check One” -Leftfield
or
“Anoxia” -Man Or Astroman
or
“Eyecandy” -OhGr

…Goodness!..

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.