What's your idea of good "road music?"

Finally figured out how to load my CD collection (favorite songs only, leave out the dogs) on my computer and burn collection CDs. I am so excited, you have no idea what a challenge technology is for me. I just burned 4 CDs of “road music” for our drive up north to Mich, Ill, Ohio, then NC and back down to TX. DH has satellite radio, but rule is I get to play CDs when I drive (I have a portable CD player with earphones for when he is listening to Rush or baseball).

I just went through every playlist-easy rock, oldies, classic rock, country, jazz, folk, hymns, world, broadway–etc. and looked for titles that had to do with leaving, riding, driving, trains, automobiles, planes etc. and ended up with 4 CDs.
for example:
leavin on a jet plane
on the road again
roll me away
smoke along the track
lodi
city of New Orleans
wabash canonball
rock island line
old gospel ship
take me back to the sweet sunny south
running against the wind
fun fun fun
500 miles
this land is your land
so what is your ideal road music?

The Brandenburg concertos! :slight_smile:

King of the Road

the only version I have is Boxcar Willie, and it sounds terrible.

U2’s the Joshua Tree. Listened to it on two cross country road trips.

I like to have relatively energetic music on when im driving:

Disciple - Scars Remain is my current car CD.

Also anything by Anberlin, Linkin Park (Meteora), The Academy Is, Finch, AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Offspring, Dakona, The Violet Burning, Decyfer Down and The Classic Crime to name but a few:

Nice to see someone mention the Proclaimers (500 Miles) :smiley: - local band for me and they support the same “soccer” team as me - Hibernian - the song Sunshine on Leith is their anthem…

Anyway, enough rambling, im off to the gym - ciao!

If you’re feeling energetic:

Tom Petty - "Running Down a Dream"
Steppenwolf - "Born to Be Wild"
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Travelin’ Band"
The Who - “Magic Bus”

If you’re not:

Roger Miller - “Me and Bobby McGee” (NOT Janis Joplin’s version)
Jerry Jeff Walker - "The Pickup Truck Song"
Peter, Paul and Mary/Gordon Lightfoot - "Early Mornin’ Rain"
Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard - “Pancho and Lefty”

A lot of the traditional bluegrass music have “take me back home” themes that can feel nice when you’re cruisin’ in the country. :thumbsup:

Three little letters

B T O

Seriously, Bachman-Tuner Overdrive is great driving music.

Takin’ Care of Business
Let it Ride
Roll on Down the Highway
Blue Collar
You Ain’t Seen Nothin Yet
Hey You
Lookin Out For #1

I will second the nominations of Tom Petty “Runnin’ Down a Dream” & Steppenwolf “Born to be Wild”

Others to consider:
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Bob Seger -Roll Me Away, Against the Wind, Feel Like a Number
Green Grass And High Tides - Outlaws
Radar Love - Golden Earring
I Can’t Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar
Rockin’ Down The Highway - Doobie Brothers (also Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin, China Grove, Takin it to the Streets, It Keeps You Runnin, The Doctor)
Easy Livin’ - Uriah Heep
Highway Star - Deep Purple
We’re An American Band - Grand Funk Railroad
Highway Song - Blackfoot
Flirtin’ With Disaster - Molly Hatchet
Jessica - Allman Brothers band (also Crazy Love, Revival, Ramblin Man, Southbound, Melissa, Dreams, Seven Turns, No One To Run With, Back Where it all Begins, Midnight Rider)

Man, lots of summertime memories in that list. I’m gonna have to dig out some Allman Brothers, I think.

Yeah! I’m thinkin’ Statesboro Blues!:dancing:

“Born to Run” by Bruce Springsteen is another good tune.

Anything Willie Nelson or Bob Seger

Kathy

For “KIng of the Road”, it HAS to be Roger Miller’s version!

My choices are:

“The Boys of Summer” by Don Henley
"Summer of ‘69" by Bryan Adams
"American Pie" by Don McLean
"You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’" by The Righteous Brothers (sorry, I prefer Hall & Oates’ version!)
“Good Run of Bad Luck” by Clint Black
"Lovin’ Every Minute of It" by Loverboy
"My Life" by Billy Joel
"Footloose", “I’m All Right” and “Danger Zone” by Kenny Loggins

Of course these must be listened to with the windows down, the sound cranked up, and singing along is a must! (BTW, if you can’t tell by my playlist, I have a deep fear of falling asleep at the wheel… these songs guarantee that I CAN’T!)

Radiohead
Modest Mouse
The Smiths
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Shins
The Strokes
Bob Dylan
The Velvet Underground
Arcade Fire
Wolf Parade

More than a few years ago, my sister & I went to the gulf coast for the 1st time. On our way home, JUST as we we crossing the Florida/Alabama border, “Sweet Home Alabama” came on the radio… You never saw 2 Yankees freak out so much, & I will never forget that!

Three qualifiers: loud, fast, and angry. This is stuff to stay awake to.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic. This album should be in every car. It’s the best driving music ever. The rest of their stuff is also great, but Automatic just shines.
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. Early Bay area hardcore, and lots of fun to howl along with Jello Biafra’s warbling vox.
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet. PE is one of the best rap groups out there, talented, intelligent, and oh so very political.
Amino Acids - Destroy the Warming Sun. Instrumental punk, I just picked it up the other day.
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash. The original Irish punk band, and one of their best albums. Mostly fast and furious, though their cover of ‘And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda’ is just the saddest thing ever.
Ladytron - Light and Magic. Electroclash, probably good for Kraftwerk fans.
Eisbrecher - self-titled. German group, fast hard rock with lots of synth. One of the members did a lot of music for Sesame Street back in the day. It doesn’t show.
Reverend Horton Heat - Holy Roller. Psychobilly! Sort of a punk take on rockabilly, blues, and country. Brilliant and hilarious.
808 State - Utd State 90. Early acid house, techno that doesn’t all sound the same.
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life/Raw Power (with the Stooges). The grandfather of punk rock, and some of the best stuff he’s put out. ‘The Passenger’ is the definitive driving song.

I suspect ‘Rip the Jacker’ by Canibus is great road music, but I haven’t tried it out yet…

Toby Keith- Angry American, Beer for my Horses, How do you like me now

Charlie Daniels- Devil went down to GA

Garth Brooks- anything from his Double Live album

Anything from Motley Crue Greatest Hits

those are some of my fav’s. My DH burns me CD’s quite a bit because otherwise, I’m stuck listening to Disney over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Or I veto that and make the kids listen to some rockin Christian music. Veggie Tales anyone? :whistle:

Red Barchetta- Rush

Driven- Rush

Long Black Cadillac-Ceili Rain

Slow Ride- Foghat

Free Ride- Edgar Winter Group

Galaxy 500- Rev. Horton Heat

Funk 49- Eagles Live Version

Back in the USSR- The Beatles

Summertime Blues-The Who (Love the Rush cover though)

Any Aquabats song are fun to listen to while your driving.:smiley:
Some especially good ones are
-Magic Chicken
-Super Rad
-CD Repo Man
-Captain Hampton and the Midget Pirates

And besides the two Rush songs I listed anything by them is good to listen to while driving:D

More than a few years ago, my sister & I went to the gulf coast for the 1st time. On our way home, JUST as we we crossing the Florida/Alabama border, “Sweet Home Alabama” came on the radio… You never saw 2 Yankees freak out so much, & I will never forget that!

It seems like here in the Panhandle of Florida every other radio has that song playing on it. It is like our theme song up here. C’mon if they love Alabama so much move up there so we can have “Chattahoochee” as our theme song or something:p

I love DK’s. I also saw Jello do a spoken word lecture at a Catholic university back in 1991.

Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet. PE is one of the best rap groups out there, talented, intelligent, and oh so very political.

Chuck D did a lecture at the same university a couple years ago, but I was unable to attend.:frowning: My favourite PE song is "Shut Em Down.

The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash. The original Irish punk band, and one of their best albums. Mostly fast and furious, though their cover of ‘And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda’ is just the saddest thing ever.

I love the Pogues. The Dropkick Murphys are great too.

Reverend Horton Heat - Holy Roller. Psychobilly! Sort of a punk take on rockabilly, blues, and country. Brilliant and hilarious.

Great choice. He is one of my favourites too!

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life/Raw Power (with the Stooges). The grandfather of punk rock, and some of the best stuff he’s put out. ‘The Passenger’ is the definitive driving song.

I have seen Iggy Pop in concert. He is great.

I have a couple of their albums, they’re pretty good. If you want a really, really different take on the whole Irish punk idea, watch this video :wink:

I think eventually we’re just going to have to trade mix cds or something :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.