What's YOUR opinion? For everyone

The Bible has a GREAT many teachings:)

Which is [one at a time please] the most often ignored?

WHY?

“I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods besides me.”

Because we all try to fill that God-shaped hole in our lives with anything and everything but God.

What an interesting question. Thank you for this!
For me, it’s probably "36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’** 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” -Matthew 22:36-40
(^ I struggle with this one a lot!)

And the Corporal Works and the Spiritual Works of Mercy in Matthew where Jesus talks about saying we are Christians but we don’t feed the poor, shelter the homeless, etc.

Again, I struggle with this too! :o**

“Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth” from Proverbs. Just look around at the history of the world. And from the Talmud: “Who is rich? He who is content with his own share.”

The first part of Prov:22:6:

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Three posts in one:

1. “Thou shalt remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.”

2. “Thou shall have no other gods before Me.”

3. “Whosoever putteth away his wife and marrieth another, except for cause of fornication, committeth adultery. Whosoever marrieth her who wast put away, causeth her to commit adultery.”

All for the same reason. In honesty, one could multiply the list to infinity, and it would be just as accurate. All commandments are broken: not one keeps the law. All things are worshipped, except for the Creator. Fallen mankind attempts to replace the worship of God and the study of his commandments and gospel with worship of the self (or anything else) and the commandment that “all is permitted; nothing is forbidden” (the eponymous “Assassin’s Creed”).

Paul explains it thus, in his Epistle to the Romans, i, vv. 17-32. It is a relatively long passage, where the main points have been set in boldface type.

[quote=KJV]For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. **For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.** Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
[/quote]

“Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish his work.” John 4:34

=Joe 5859;11027263]“I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods besides me.”

Because we all try to fill that God-shaped hole in our lives with anything and everything but God.

Thanks Joe,

We’re off to a great start

=Khalid;11028243]Three posts in one:

1. “Thou shalt remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.”
  1. “Thou shall have no other gods before Me.”
  1. “Whosoever putteth away his wife and marrieth another, except for cause of fornication, committeth adultery. Whosoever marrieth her who wast put away, causeth her to commit adultery.”

All for the same reason. In honesty, one could multiply the list to infinity, and it would be just as accurate. All commandments are broken: not one keeps the law. All things are worshipped, except for the Creator. Fallen mankind attempts to replace the worship of God and the study of his commandments and gospel with worship of the self (or anything else) and the commandment that “all is permitted; nothing is forbidden” (the eponymous “Assassin’s Creed”).

Paul explains it thus, in his Epistle to the Romans, i, vv. 17-32. It is a relatively long passage, where the main points have been set in boldface type.

Great post all most:)

Please just one at a time

And let’s try to avoid generalities

I think Fraternal Correction is the most often ignored!

I guess it’s because it’s not easy to do…uncomfortable, unwelcome most times, and gets called “being judgmental” even when it’s not.

I was alluding to the Bible, where it is many times stated, “There is not one righteous, no, not one”, and “All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God”. Apologies for any misunderstanding - the breaking of the law of God is a universal human problem, just as sin is. None are above it.

And, a correction to the above post: the actual “Assassin’s Creed” (from the popular video games) is “everything is permitted, nothing is true”, not “nothing is forbidden, everything is permitted”. The correct quotation captures even more accurately the gestalt or weltgeist or whatever one wishes to call it.

Two subjects spring to mind. :idea: There are probably better examples gut I’ve noticed these:

[LIST=1]
*]Old Testament - Chronology, probably because people find it boring, or perhaps a little technical so they leave it to the ‘experts.’

*]New Testament - Anthropology. The doctrine of Man is step one to understanding salvation. However it is often tacked briefly in front of the doctrine of Sin without going into much depth.
[/LIST]

Just a thought.

There’s a lot of anthropology in the Old Testament too - without a proper understanding of Genesis 1-3, the entire gospel message of redemption through the blood of Christ, descended from Adam as we are descended from Adam, falls apart.

If I could expand the thread’s topic to “Biblical teaching”, I would nominate that as the most-ignored truth that does the greatest damage to the overall truthfulness, consistency, and understanding of religion and salvation - the creation and fall of man, original sin, and the curse due to that fall, as presented in Genesis 1-3. Genesis 3 even contains the first statement of God’s plan for the redemption of mankind, in Genesis 3:15.

Many don’t know, and many translations don’t show (the NASB is an exception), that, in Gen 4:1, when Eve begets Seth, she believes it is the Divine Saviour promised to her in Gen 3:15. Normally translated as “I have gotten a man from the LORD”, the Hebrew states “I have gotten a man - the LORD”, identifying what she has gotten with Jehovah himself, and not as a merely human descendant. The NASB renders, “I have gotten a manchild* with the help of the LORD", with the italics in the original, indicating added words not present in the Hebrew, but “necessary for comprehension”. The asterisk (a superscripted letter “c” in the actual book) indicates a footnote containing the alternate rendering, “Genesis 4:1 Or man, the LORD”, leaving it as “I have gotten a man, the LORD.”

I agree, and to continue (as my own addition to the OP’s topic):

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 10:32-40[/BIBLEDRB]

“Remember my word that I said to you: The servant is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you: if they have kept my word, they will keep yours also.”–John 15:20

Most of us forget; no Cross, no Christ.

This is the one that scares me. :crossrc:

Mt. 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter;

The New Covenant promises of Jer 31:

** “I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.**

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth … and God said …

Loving one as they love themselves.

The other one is about the right to stone another to death. That and killing animals to make the creator happy by smelling the burnt flesh of the animal.

If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off. And if you eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.

Why? Beats me. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.