What's your opinion on Orthodoxy?

I always wonder,what Catholics and Protestants think about Orthodoxy?In general,we (Orthodox) are hostile to Catholics (because of the arrogance of the Popes) and a bit to Protestants.
Feel free to share your opinion :slight_smile:

PS I’m not hostile to anyone.We are all Christians.

Personally, Orthodoxy and Catholicism are nearly the same. I like the religion itself, but have had problems with its followers. A lot of them I know came across as really aggressive when they knew I was Roman Catholic. Thats just what happened to me, but Im sure most people havent had many problems with anyone following Orthodoxy

Personally, I’m in favor of it. :slight_smile:

I have great respect for Holy Orthodoxy. In many ways, I think they have preserved the Apostolic faith far more effectively than any in the west, including the CC. My understanding is that on the occasion that Lutheran pastors and theologians convert, they most frequently move to Holy Orthodoxy. Jaroslav Pelikan is a prime example. There must be a reason.

Jon

My opinion is highly favorable. I think there is something of great value in Orthodoxy (and in the Eastern rites of the Catholic Church). I deeply wish we could be reunited.

One thing that seems strange to me is the very nationalistic nature of the Orthodox Churches.

I think Orthodox liturgy & spirituality are beautiful and are a part of our Catholic Church!
:slight_smile:

I’m sad the Orthodox Churches remain separated from the Pope. I don’t understand why they reject his authority over them when it’s so clear in the Bible & the Church Fathers?

I am also sad they only offer Mass once a week rather than several times a day as we have available to us in the Catholic Church. Also that they don’t worship Christ our God in Eucharistic Adoration.

I like Orthodoxy, and cookies, and Catholicism.

Anyway, if you look to the Eastern Catholic subforum here you have Catholics, Orthodox and persons who are neither (yet), such as me, talk and discuss things in a friendly manner. There are disagreements, but things almost never get mean. If only the global Orthodox-Catholic dialogue was half as friendly as at the EC forum the world would be a better place.

Not any different from the Eastern Catholic Churches though.

Mark, are you from Athens, Greece? Welcome to CAF! :slight_smile:

I’m a huge fan of Orthodoxy. I don’t know a lot about the Greek Orthodox, but I know more about Russian Orthodoxy and I venerate the Russian Orthodox saints St. John Maximovitch of Shanghai and San Francisco, St. Innocent of Alaska, St. Herman of Alaska, St. Seraphim of Sarov, St. Peter the Aleut, St. Philaret the Confessor.

There’s still a bit of mystery for me. Precise distinctions between churches, the way any one of them recognizes another, and the way any one would interact with another in a conciliar setting are somewhat unknown quantities for me. To me, it would help if there were an ecumenical council of all the Orthodox bishops that allowed me to see that interaction. Comparatively, I don’t even have as much interest in how they affirm certain doctrines. I’m more interested in how they would define the Orthodox identity, what they would look to for the future of it, and how bishops from various churches would interact with each other at this point- Greek with Russian, the patriarch with the OCA, the degree to which a certain type of leadership structure correlates with one’s ability to influence things. I’m not quite sure how all of that works itself out at this point.

Apart from not knowing as much as I’d like about its current expression in various settings, I’m generally in favor of it. I remember seeing something on these forums about the Church of England and how Orthodoxy came under consideration during the transition away from Catholicism. That would have drastically altered the history of religion in the English-speaking world, America included, and this is an alternate history that I find to be rather intriguing. I can’t help but wonder if England would be less secular/non-religious at this point if it had been Orthodox instead.

As a rule, I would reckon “positive” and “neutral” respectively. Catholics are more likely to recognize and celebrate how similar Orthodoxy looks to their faith, while Protestants are more likely to regard Orthodoxy, if not as uncharted foreign spiritual waters, then as some strange variation of Catholicism. :slight_smile:

As for yours truly, I’m very seriously considering conversion (after a couple years of prayer and study vis-à-vis Catholicism and Protestantism), so as you can expect I already have a pretty high opinion of Orthodoxy. :slight_smile: For as JonNC pointed out, Constantinople seems to have preserved the apostolic faith with the greatest success vis-à-vis Rome, Geneva, and the like.

In general,we (Orthodox) are hostile to Catholics (because of the arrogance of the Popes) and a bit to Protestants.

I’ve noticed Orthodox tend to look quite sternly upon the distinctive Catholic doctrines that everyone argues over, yet remain nearly silent about the innovations of Protestantism that cause such discord in the North American Christian community. I expect because many would view Protestants as “the wayward children of Rome” and have an attitude of “we didn’t create the problem, so we don’t have to fix it”. With Protestant so-called missionary efforts in historically Orthodox countries being underway for decades now, this complacency has to be discarded. If I were fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, I would gladly head down to Latin America and set up shop among the Pentecostals. :slight_smile:

[quote="dzheremi, post:3, topic:291528"]
Personally, I'm in favor of it. :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="Trebor135, post:10, topic:291528"]

I've noticed Orthodox tend to look quite sternly upon the distinctive Catholic doctrines that everyone argues over, yet remain nearly silent about the innovations of Protestantism that cause such discord in the North American Christian community.

[/quote]

You don't know very many Ethiopians, do you? ;) I think it is all relative to how much of an impact or influence Protestantism has had on the people. So, since Protestantism is not very big in places like Russia, Bulgaria, etc., you won't find many who address it directly. But if you look at Ethiopia, where Protestants have grown quite a lot at the expense almost entirely of the native Orthodox Christians and their Church, you'll see many, many people addressing it directly. Granted, they address it usually in Amharic, so I don't know what they're saying exactly, but there are lots of videos like this one that apparently show the efforts of Ethiopian Orthodox to fight against Protestantism in their country and among their peoples, in very explicit terms (I am familiar enough with Amharic and general Semitic languages that I recognized "Protestantawi Jihad" being referenced there...yikes).

The Copts, I am sad to say, are somewhat behind the curve on this stuff (having only encountered Protestants in significant numbers outside of Egypt, in the recent and growing diaspora), though some are addressing it already, and also HH Pope Shenouda III has addressed it to some degree (can't remember exactly where, but in addition to the bit near the end of the interview, there is some point, perhaps in part 1, where he talks specifically about Jehovah's Witnesses; since I can't remember where, maybe you should watch both parts. :))

I expect because many would view Protestants as "the wayward children of Rome" and have an attitude of "we didn't create the problem, so we don't have to fix it". With Protestant so-called missionary efforts in historically Orthodox countries being underway for decades now, this complacency has to be discarded. If I were fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, I would gladly head down to Latin America and set up shop among the Pentecostals. :)

This is certainly a sensible view from an EO perspective, given the much longer history they have with Rome than we do.

There is great missionary work being done in Latinoamerica by EO and OO alike. as you can see by videos like this, and this, and this, and this, etc.

The church at which I was baptized, St. Mark COC in Arizona, gave a presentation when I was there by two of the young servants (teenaged girls) who had served the people in Bolivia. It was very inspiring. Apparently over 400 native Bolivians attend in La Paz every week, and the Orthodox work among people in the countryside well outside of the capital where nobody visits. They have found the people there to be very appreciative, but most importantly very dedicated to God. One of the girls said that there is a young boy who now lives in the orphanage who took over upon their leaving, so much was his love for the Church. So the missionary effort is yielding good fruit throughout the world, glory be to God. Incidentally, I speak Spanish more or less natively, since age 3 or 4, and that was the first thing they recommended: "OH, GOOD! You can come with us when we go back, then?" I had just been baptized about two hours earlier! :)

Yeah.You know we have a motto.It is “Μόνο Πατρίς,Θρησκεία και Οικογένεια” which means “Only Motherland,Religion and Family” and it is considered nationalistic.

Could you state the parts in the Bible which show Pope’s authority?

When you say Mass,I suppose you mean Divine Liturgy. :rolleyes:

Yes,I’m from Athens.Thank you :slight_smile:

I haven’t dealt with Russian Orthodoxy so I can’t state the differences,although I could say that we consider Byzantine Empire a Greek-inspired Empire and we are very fond of Byzantine hagiography and iconography.

I see the Orthodox Churches as beloved brethren, united to us by the same Sacraments. We both receive the Body and Blood of Christ from the successors of the Apostles…so how separate can we be? There is certainly MUCH more that we share than that which divides us. The mistrust and rancor of past centuries is just very sad, and I’m sure God is disappointed by mistakes that both Catholics and Orthodox have made in dealing with each other. We’re all human, and suffer from the effects of evil and lack of charity sometimes.

I love the rich prayer tradition that Orthodoxy has preserved. I use a couple of Eastern Christian prayer books daily, either the Jordanville or the Melkite Publican’s prayer book. I find the prayers very moving and devotional, especially in the morning, evening, and preparing for Holy Communion.

I feel like the western Church can learn a lot from the spiritual disciplines of the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic. As John Paul II was fond of saying, the Church needs to breathe with both its lungs. Rapprochement between the Eastern and Western Churches was a dream of his that hopefully one day will be accomplished. Definitely something to pray and work for!

Glory to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages, Amen.

I tend to view my religion as the most important thing first, before my national identity. By the way you may guess my opinions on Orthodoxy easily, I am married to a member of the Russian Orthodox Church.

@ the OP, on the Ethiopian Orthodox- I had assumed that most Ethiopian Protestants came from Orthodoxy, but it was pointed out to me on a different thread that most of those Ethiopian converts came from animism, paganism, or non-religious and that the faithful have actually been pretty faithful. That’s not to say they like Protestantism- I know that they do not, and I thank you for the links. But I would ask that you check in on just how many Ethiopian converts to Protestantism came from Orthodoxy.

That’s one of the reasons I love being a member of the Church of England whilst being English, nationality and religion go hand in hand.
Btw I’ve forgotten who posted this but someone said something about my church considering orthodoxy during the reformation, I had never heard of that so cheers for mentioning it and that would have been interesting indeed. And I don’t think protestants have much of an opinion concerning orthodoxy as we don’t really interact much do we?

Nationality and religion may go hand in hand but the principles the Church is built on are ultimately more important than the transient nation states we respectively call either England or Ireland in both our cases Where the states desires conflict with God’s then we serve the nation best by striving to serve God’s law. For example Ireland serves God better by not legalising abortion than it would if it did. Whereas in other respects it has not served God or the people well recently, especially due to the greed which overwhelmed us when we ceased been among the poorest European nations.

Quite a few Anglican Churches in London and elsewhere interact regularly with the Orthodox as they offfer them space for worship etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.