What's your own opinion on "selling your soul to the Devil"?

I wanted to know whether anyone has any knowledge on this topic, and whether it’s even possible to sell your soul to the Devil?

You cannot sell your soul.

The destination of your soul is determined only by its state at death. If you die in a state of mortal sin your soul goes to Hell. If you die in a state of grace then your soul is saved.

Yes, I believe one can. But, so long as there is life, there is hope.

One who may seek to make any transaction with the devil puts themselves in very serious danger, firstly, of losing their soul, since this is a mortal sin, but also of demonic obsession or possession. This is a very serious matter, thus not one for the merely curious to discuss.

If there is a personal concern, I would advise speaking to a priest, or, if necessary, an exorcist approved by the local bishop.

I listened to Catholic Answers Live where this was addressed: no one can sell his or her soul to the devil. The soul is God’s property and a person can’t ‘sell’ it to anyone.

I think for the vast majority that is not possible because in the end people will make the wrong choices anyway.

But for those select few that are looked up to because they are people that can make a difference, like politicians or rock musicians? Then yes, for their opportunity to lead millions of others astray I believe it’s possible to make a deal for your soul…

…not say’en that’s the official church position though.

It is just fiction and all the different versions are retellings of Faust. And anyways,I think that the people who would sell their souls are already on the wrong path in life and the Devil wouldn’t worry about them. The Devil may possess a few people here and there in the world but he probably works in more subtle ways tempting us to evil in the little things in life. Society likes to focus on the entertaining stories of deals with the Devil and demonic possession, when the real importance is how we go about each day, and how we deal with sin and temptation.

Such a contract would in itself be meaningless. But of course, by agreeing to such a thing, the person would be losing his soul by a mortal sin. And the person might think it was valid, which could keep him from trying to repent. So the person’s side of the contract would hold–he has indeed lost his soul. But only a fool would make such an agreement with the devil, thinking that gaining some good things while he was alive would be worth eternity in hell. But that is what many people do by mortal sins, without making such a formal agreement with Satan.
You might be interested in reading the play, Doctor Faustus, by Christopher Marlowe, which is about a man to sold his soul to the devil. But of course a play does not prove such a contract has actually ever been made.

Our entire being belongs to God. We can never sell our soul since we cannot sell that which is not ours to begin with.

I saw a brief video once where a priest exorcist explained that although one’s soul cannot be sold, many people are convinced and tricked into dispair by evil forces that they did indeed sell their soul. He said that it is extremely difficult to convince them at that point that their soul is not lost.

Why would you want to? seriously why? worst idea ever!

I was just wondering because I’ve heard it mentioned that several musicians have supposedly done it to gain their fame. The Bible also remarks, “For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?” (Mark 8:36).

This statement is very IMMATURE!!!

I won’t even respond because it is so RIDICULOUS.

You need a lot of prayer, my friend.

As I previously said, I WILL NOT COMMENT ON SUCH A SACRELIGIOUS STATEMENT!!!

Everyone needs to chill out! I’m not doing it. I’m asking a question based on what I’ve heard a few other music artists do. Look at the post above your post :slight_smile:

I think this is more likely to be the case…:thumbsup:

It’s not that he loses his soul per say becuase he is selling it. His soul is lost to Hell and not to heaven because of the way they have lived their lives.

A Catholic Commentary on Scripture by Nelson has this to say about vs. 36

In the context there is an underlying antithesis between physical life and the life of the soul. The person who sacrifices his life for the sake of Christ will secrue the eternal life of the soul. To have saved one’s life, or even to have gained everything that this world can offer, is of no avail if eternal life has been lost.

God bless.

I agree. NO you cannot sell your soul becuase of the reason given above.

God bless.

Our soul is not ours to sell.

God bless

jesus g

“For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?” (Matthew 16:26).

God Bless

Is this an actual fact? Several confession priests told me only God knows who will go to Heaven or Hell and this is not true what you state.

That would mean as an example that a devout Catholic, who is faithful all his life, who never has never been in the state of mortal sin all his life except for only 5 minutes and happens to die before he can confess will go to Hell while Hitler would have gone to Heaven if he confessed before his death.

Seems a bit hard to believe:shrug:

It is Church Teaching.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

Paragraph 1033 - Emphasis is Mine

We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: “He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.” 612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren. 613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self- exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”

Paragraph 1035 - Emphasis is Mine

The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, “eternal fire.” 617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

The Church has taught this from its inception. It may be hard to believe, but it is TRUTH.

God bless.

google “man sells soul on ebay”

some people have literally put their soul up for sale on ebay

some have asked 1000$ for it

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.